Determining factor on upgrading to the LG V40

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Why can't they put 4000mah battery? LG Phones already has average battery life...

LG always makes too many compromises on the high end phones

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Why can't they put 4000mah battery? LG Phones already has average battery life...

LG always makes too many compromises on the high end phones
Actually the V30's battery life beat out so many of the top competing phones with only 3,300mAh when it came out and even now so I'll wait and see on that part. My biggest concern is the SD845 which has up to this point posted slightly less efficient battery life results compared to last year's SD835.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the cameras were upgraded. Still need to see real world samples as the software plays a big part as well.
https://www.androidpit.com/exclusive-lg-v40-techincal-specs?amp=true
No release date mentioned. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180902/c0b774efe8d661cd26587a6caf6f0761.jpg
Man oh man I was just about to get the V30 and call it a day this Friday too. I really hope this is true. This would mean LG finally put a sensor with larger pixel size for the main camera assuming it's a setup like the Pixel or Samsung's sensors. I'm guessing that to be the case. Wow if this is the real deal o have no choice but to wait it out. Now I'm excited!

Edit: I read the original post. According to them the main sensor would have a larger 1.4 micron pixel size. And boombox stereo speakers? Whew. Hopes it's not too good to be true but it seems legitimate.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually the V30's battery life beat out so many of the top competing phones with only 3,300mAh when it came out and even now so I'll wait and see on that part. My biggest concern is the SD845 which has up to this point posted slightly less efficient battery life results compared to last year's SD835.

Yeah. My V30 has great battery life. It's so strange not reaching for a cord every possible chance. So the 3300mah doesn't scare me off but I'll always want more lol. If the V40 battery is on par with the V30 I'm in.

I'm excited to see how the cameras will perform. Generally I'm happy with the V30s camera but more motion shots are not good at all.

Last edited:

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The determining factors for me will be whether the battery life is on par with the V30, for one. I had the V30 for a month, and it would literally sip battery. I would have 45 minutes of usage under my belt on a full charge before it dropped to 99%, and that was with location on periodically at high accuracy, the AOD enabled and screen resolution set to max, with 25% brightness indoors. My best SOT with the V30 was 8:46 with 32 hours off the charger.

Second factor is the radios. The signal reception on my unlocked V30 (used on T-Mobile) was terrible. I was never able to get full bars while at home, where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi, even though my modem is in the area I spend the most time. Even while out on appointments in poor signal areas, I'd get none, where my aging 6P still gets a bar or two. The FM radio app was basically useless, cause most of my local stations in NYC would come in static. This issue ultimately made me sell my V30. LG seriously needs to improve here.

Third, LG needs to up their UI game. It needs a big time refresh, especially *if* the V40 is being released with Android Pie. Smart World is a joke. Customization is *very* limited, and what is there is childish, imo. It's no where near as comprehensive as Samsung's theme store. I realize there are themes available in the Play Store, but if I wanted my phone to look like a Pixel, I'd just get a Pixel. I looked at a V35 in an AT&T store, and I did like some of the aesthetic changes LG made, but they still leave a lot to be desired. The way I see it, my choices to upgrade from my 6P are the V40, Note 9, or the Mate 20/20 Pro. Since I loved the quad DAC and the battery life on the V30, I hope LG makes my decision easy.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The determining factors for me will be whether the battery life is on par with the V30, for one. I had the V30 for a month, and it would literally sip battery. I would have 45 minutes of usage under my belt on a full charge before it dropped to 99%, and that was with location on periodically at high accuracy, the AOD enabled and screen resolution set to max, with 25% brightness indoors. My best SOT with the V30 was 8:46 with 32 hours off the charger.

Second factor is the radios. The signal reception on my unlocked V30 (used on T-Mobile) was terrible. I was never able to get full bars while at home, where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi, even though my modem is in the area I spend the most time. Even while out on appointments in poor signal areas, I'd get none, where my aging 6P still gets a bar or two. The FM radio app was basically useless, cause most of my local stations in NYC would come in static. This issue ultimately made me sell my V30. LG seriously needs to improve here.

Third, LG needs to up their UI game. It needs a big time refresh, especially *if* the V40 is being released with Android Pie. Smart World is a joke. Customization is *very* limited, and what is there is childish, imo. It's no where near as comprehensive as Samsung's theme store. I realize there are themes available in the Play Store, but if I wanted my phone to look like a Pixel, I'd just get a Pixel. I looked at a V35 in an AT&T store, and I did like some of the aesthetic changes LG made, but they still leave a lot to be desired. The way I see it, my choices to upgrade from my 6P are the V40, Note 9, or the Mate 20/20 Pro. Since I loved the quad DAC and the battery life on the V30, I hope LG makes my decision easy.
While I never owned the V30 I was always impressed with the battery results from both reviews and owners of the device. For me a few hours more than the V20 would be perfect for me. I never even needed a second battery for it although I got one of those 6400mAh ones for long days away from the charger where I knew I would be taking tons of photos and videos. But the V20 was pretty good for all day usage outside of high camera usage days.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's Google's turn now. LG got a lot right today(we know how much it will cost and when it will he available which is very soon) but still failed in some key areas. Again no live stream which disconnects your fans with the product and the battery life is going to be terrible. PhoneArena already did a "review" on the V40 and while I disagree with their rating and most of the other nitpicks they had against it, I do believe that their battery results are accurate and indicative of the power hungry SD845. Also the price is a tad high. Lastly still launching with older software is just a bad look. So now that we have that out of the way there's two simple ways Google can absolutely win me over: pricing and battery life. If Google somehow managed to take the SD845 and price the regular Pixel 3 in the ballpark of the Galaxy S9 ,which is still a good deal, then the Pixel 3 will be my next phone hands down.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My phone's almost two years old. I've owned several LG flagships and I really thought I wanted to go back. I saw nothing today to dissuade my from my S8 running on Nova. I'll follow the OnePlus 6T launch the same way I followed today with the V40, but I think I'm good, for now.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I see that at DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimble will be included free at launch. With 256mb sd card. That's a very nice bonus, but I would rather just see $140+ deducted from the sale price really. LG needs to stop raising prices while including expensive add-ons that not everyone needs. Like the B&O headphones, the television, now this. Retail prices are all $920+, while they should be at $700ish,maybe $699.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's Google's turn now. LG got a lot right today(we know how much it will cost and when it will he available which is very soon) but still failed in some key areas. Again no live stream which disconnects your fans with the product and the battery life is going to be terrible. PhoneArena already did a "review" on the V40 and while I disagree with their rating and most of the other nitpicks they had against it, I do believe that their battery results are accurate and indicative of the power hungry SD845. Also the price is a tad high. Lastly still launching with older software is just a bad look. So now that we have that out of the way there's two simple ways Google can absolutely win me over: pricing and battery life. If Google somehow managed to take the SD845 and price the regular Pixel 3 in the ballpark of the Galaxy S9 ,which is still a good deal, then the Pixel 3 will be my next phone hands down.

Fairly sure I'll be sticking with my V30+. Battery life is very important to me and while I'd really like the 3 camera set up I won't sacrifice battery life.

I had every intention on buying my daughter the V40 ($960 on Sprint) but with the V30 currently on sale for $360 and being a very happy V30 owner...

Not sure what I'll end up doing.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Fairly sure I'll be sticking with my V30+. Battery life is very important to me and while I'd really like the 3 camera set up I won't sacrifice battery life.

I had every intention on buying my daughter the V40 ($960 on Sprint) but with the V30 currently on sale for $360 and being a very happy V30 owner...

Not bad, $200 off when you pre-order. IMG_20181003_232702.jpg

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Yeah talk about choices. I'm tempted to forego it all and get the V30 this weekend which would be perfect for the Virginia State Fair we're going to. I want to wait for the Pixel 3 but I know the features I'll be losing as well with the Pixel. I think I at least gotta wait until the Pixel event to make a decision. The 6T with no headphone jack and no wireless charging is simply out of the running for me.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah talk about choices. I'm tempted to forego it all and get the V30 this weekend which would be perfect for the Virginia State Fair we're going to. I want to wait for the Pixel 3 but I know the features I'll be losing as well with the Pixel. I think I at least gotta wait until the Pixel event to make a decision. The 6T with no headphone jack and no wireless charging is simply out of the running for me.

Wide angle camera. I use it all the time, it's so handy.

I don't know it's day 1. I'll wait on some real life reviews and see how it's looking.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Wide angle camera. I use it all the time, it's so handy.

I don't know it's day 1. I'll wait on some real life reviews and see how it's looking.
Very true but it's different this time for LG. Apparently they sent these review units out early and not one reviewer has mentioned the all too popular "this is pre-production software" so I'm guessing that LG at least did a few things differently. But I already know the battery life is a joke. The SD845 in terms of power consumption has been a joke.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I really need to see this phone!

Pretty solid review here but what impressed my was the screen at around the 1:30 mark. I just want it in my hands so I can really check it out.

Damn new phone season! One second I'm not getting it, the next second I can't wait lol

https://youtu.be/9alg9shDaQg

In this video I really like the look of the slow motion video.

https://youtu.be/bIHlgPn2x7Q

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Pretty solid review here but what impressed my was the screen at around the 1:30 mark. I just want it in my hands so I can really check it out.

Damn new phone season! One second I'm not getting it, the next second I can't wait lol

Lol that's how it is. I just wish the battery life was top of the class. I would be more forgiving if it was. I'll wait for the Pixel 3 announcement on Tuesday and go from there. And the fact that LG had review units out already makes me believe that most reviewers already have the Pixel 3/XL as well especially with all those leaks that came out. Why wouldn't they just get them into reviewers hands early at this point?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

In this video I really like the look of the slow motion video.

https://youtu.be/bIHlgPn2x7Q
I know. I keep watching hands on/reviews, getting different perspectives. Jaime Rivera's was good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello