Determining factor on upgrading to the LG V40

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a camera comparison with the Pixel 3. Honestly it looks good.. anything else can be easily fixed with a photo editing app.. don't understand why people are so lazy to do a simple color correction themselves! People think wow, the camera is great but don't realize that it's automatically enhanced via software. I think camera hardware wise, it's on par with the Pixel 3.

https://youtu.be/yczOmmW-Tg4
As a current Pixel 2 owner I love the detail and pictures I get with my phone but the Pixel 3 left me a bit underwhelmed. I've always had a soft spot for LG phones and I've had a couple of G's but never a V and I've always wanted one. After watching this video I am impressed with the V40, it seems to be on par with the Pixel 3.

I have to admit I'm tempted by the V40 but I do like my minimal software on my Pixel 2. I'm also having a hard time not getting a Note 9 as well. Not sure what I want to do.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the initial reviews I'm seeing are mostly all indicating battery life, by today's standards, is average at best, disappointing. What good is an excellent camera if you are constantly monitoring your battery life?

That's exactly what I have been thinking. LG makes a powerful content creation/media consumption device, but decides to skimp on the battery. If the V40 had monster battery life, all the reviewer's would be raving about it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I have been thinking. LG makes a powerful content creation/media consumption device, but decides to skimp on the battery. If the V40 had monster battery life, all the reviewer's would be raving about it.

LG purposely chose a smaller 3300 mAh battery (not actually small, remember when the Note phones had 3200 mAh batteries?) because they wanted to maintain a lightweight and thin device. LG has always made that their trademark.. personally I think that was a good choice because with Snapdragon 845, Android O, and LG's optimized OS, battery should be fine and last all day. This is not necessarily an extreme power user's phone but a lightweight, content creation phone focused on a light and thin form factor and powerful cameras. Anything above 200g weight for a phone is way too heavy and uncomfortable to hold and use daily, the V40 is 169g, the Note 9 is 201g. They have a ton of other choices for people who prioritizes giant batteries. Also, keep in mind LG has a friggin' Quad DAC with a headphone jack and BoomBox sound chamber inside, all while being 7.6mm (0.30 in) thick.. asking for too much. Again, it's not always about battery life and in the future, they are not going to just keep stuffing phones with fat batteries on phones.. the key idea here is efficiency and longevity so a fat battery isn't not needed anymore.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As a current Pixel 2 owner I love the detail and pictures I get with my phone but the Pixel 3 left me a bit underwhelmed. I've always had a soft spot for LG phones and I've had a couple of G's but never a V and I've always wanted one. After watching this video I am impressed with the V40, it seems to be on par with the Pixel 3.

I have to admit I'm tempted by the V40 but I do like my minimal software on my Pixel 2. I'm also having a hard time not getting a Note 9 as well. Not sure what I want to do.

The V40 has the latest Sony ExmorRS IMX363 with (finally) dual pixel technology. The V series is heavily focused on video (content creation).. notice how great the microphone recording sounds on the V40... it has 3 omnidirectional mics used to capture sound from far away and cancels out loud noises so it's great for recording music at concerts. My V20 audio recording is absolutely amazing.. but sometimes it's TOO good and picks up my breathing sounds! My previous Samsung phones had a garbage microphone, audio recordings at concerts are muffled and distorted. LG actually manufactured the Pixel 2 XL providing the hardware which did not include many of LG's signature features. The thing is you CAN install the Google Pixel camera app on LG (thanks to developers) and you will get the same results, possibly even better. LG really stepped up their game and I can see the "anxiety" other competitors are having, just stuffing their devices with pure muscle power but lacking the special things LG has. Google has always disappointed me, especially being such a giant monopoly of a company, using their power to dominate other phones that are in fact more innovative. Google's strongest point is their software and it's obvious because the tech giant is located in Silicon Valley, along with other tech giants like Apple; they have the BEST software engineers in the world here. Samsung has a campus here in Silicon Valley so that's why they have pretty good hardware thanks to these engineers. Once LG grows their smartphone department, they can afford to hire these engineers and create better software.. right now LG just has the power to manufacture sleek devices and their R&D department is coming out with amazing features and technology which is far ahead of the competition.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
LG purposely chose a smaller 3300 mAh battery (not actually small, remember when the Note phones had 3200 mAh batteries?) because they wanted to maintain a lightweight and thin device. LG has always made that their trademark.. personally I think that was a good choice because with Snapdragon 845, Android O, and LG's optimized OS, battery should be fine and last all day. This is not necessarily an extreme power user's phone but a lightweight, content creation phone focused on a light and thin form factor and powerful cameras.

"Remember when" is the operative phrase in this statement. Yes, I can remember when and I also remember the earlier versions of the Note getting dinged for battery life. Also, the SD 845 is not getting great reviews for efficiency, user experiences seem very mixed.

I agree with you that the V40 is a media monster and those features eat battery, especially cameras. I do believe that LG could have used a bigger battery and maintained its design philosophy. Heck, 10% larger would have put the battery size at 3600 - 3700 mAh which could make the difference between making it through the day or not.........IMHO!

It's sort of like having a high performance HEMI engine in your car with a 10 gallon gas tank. :D

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
LG purposely chose a smaller 3300 mAh battery (not actually small, remember when the Note phones had 3200 mAh batteries?) because they wanted to maintain a lightweight and thin device. LG has always made that their trademark.. personally I think that was a good choice because with Snapdragon 845, Android O, and LG's optimized OS, battery should be fine and last all day. This is not necessarily an extreme power user's phone but a lightweight, content creation phone focused on a light and thin form factor and powerful cameras. Anything above 200g weight for a phone is way too heavy and uncomfortable to hold and use daily, the V40 is 169g, the Note 9 is 201g. They have a ton of other choices for people who prioritizes giant batteries. Also, keep in mind LG has a friggin' Quad DAC with a headphone jack and BoomBox sound chamber inside, all while being 7.6mm (0.30 in) thick.. asking for too much. Again, it's not always about battery life and in the future, they are not going to just keep stuffing phones with fat batteries on phones.. the key idea here is efficiency and longevity so a fat battery isn't not needed anymore.

Yeah I understand that. I'm saying I DISAGREE with that choice. I'm sure it's a great device but, in my opinion, if you are going to focus on media consumption/creation as the selling point for your phone, then battery life plays a huge part in that. That's why all of the "gaming" devices have huge batteries. My Note 8 has 3200mah, and it's fine but on days that I use my camera extensively it's not.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
"Remember when" is the operative phrase in this statement. Yes, I can remember when and I also remember the earlier versions of the Note getting dinged for battery life. Also, the SD 845 is not getting great reviews for efficiency, user experiences seem very mixed.

I agree with you that the V40 is a media monster and those features eat battery, especially cameras. I do believe that LG could have used a bigger battery and maintained its design philosophy. Heck, 10% larger would have put the battery size at 3600 - 3700 mAh which could make the difference between making it through the day or not.........IMHO!

It's sort of like having a high performance HEMI engine in your car with a 10 gallon gas tank. :D

So while battery life is always a concern, I'm at the point where I know I'm going to run through it during the day at work with emails, texts, calls and streaming music and podcasts. Every phone I've had the last few years has had that issue and I'm fine with that. I always top off mid afternoon or on the way home. Would I like a bigger battery? Of course but this seems sufficient so long as it isn't sucking down 5% an hour when I'm not using it at all when I'm out I'm good with that. Add in the fast charging and I can put some juice in it quickly and I'm completely fine with that.

And for the record, I love my Hemi and live with the gas mileage because it puts a smile on my face. So maybe this is the phone for me! ;)

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So while battery life is always a concern, I'm at the point where I know I'm going to run through it during the day at work with emails, texts, calls and streaming music and podcasts. Every phone I've had the last few years has had that issue and I'm fine with that. I always top off mid afternoon or on the way home. Would I like a bigger battery? Of course but this seems sufficient so long as it isn't sucking down 5% an hour when I'm not using it at all when I'm out I'm good with that. Add in the fast charging and I can put some juice in it quickly and I'm completely fine with that.

And for the record, I love my Hemi and live with the gas mileage because it puts a smile on my face. So maybe this is the phone for me! ;)
I understand that but what about when you're out taking photos and videos during an extended session? That was the added benefit of the V20 in those cases unless you get a battery extender then you're covered.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand that but what about when you're out taking photos and videos during an extended session? That was the added benefit of the V20 in those cases unless you get a battery extender then you're covered.
If I know I'm going to be out all day doing that I take my battery pack. But honestly I just went on vacation a couple months ago and was doing exactly that and got through the day just fine with my Pixel 2 and it's 2700 mAh battery.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So.....is there a correlation between HEMI owners and LG phones?????????

I don't know but I got an LG phone a few months after I got mine and then I left for the Pixel 2 a few months later. Now I'm looking at coming back so maybe?

I love the HEMI and had one in my Durango. I hope to make my next car a Challenger with a HEMI. You may be on to something.

I have a 300c with one. Would love a challenger with a 6.4L but I have kids so I can't afford that yet lol. Someday maybe.

So I got to hold and play with a V40 at a T-Mobile store at lunch. It was nice, had a nice weight to it. Not a lot bigger than my Pixel 2 physically but man, way bigger screen. Not a ton of bloatware on it. Had a nice feel though it had the stupid security thing on it. The camera was interesting, but I couldn't do a ton with it because of the tether. I could tell there's no OIS on the telephoto. Not sure I like it switching cameras automatically as you zoom.

Very nice device and they have a trade in promo right now to. I just need to decide if I really need it, which honestly I don't. This is a want. I need to figure out what I want in a device and it feels like I've been chasing it for years. I thought I wanted an unlocked device but now I have the Pixel 2 and while its fine, I don't like what they are doing with the OS and gestures. So what am I gaining? DAC/AMP, screen size, headphone jack, telephoto/wide angle, more ram, newer chipset, 600mHz support, more versatile camera, SD Slot.......

I'm on the fence but I don't know why, I liked it and it seems like a better device.......

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

But from what I've heard the reviewers said the battery lasted all day plus extra.. sounds good to me.. I don't know anyone who doesn't charge their phone at night

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I understand that. I'm saying I DISAGREE with that choice. I'm sure it's a great device but, in my opinion, if you are going to focus on media consumption/creation as the selling point for your phone, then battery life plays a huge part in that. That's why all of the "gaming" devices have huge batteries. My Note 8 has 3200mah, and it's fine but on days that I use my camera extensively it's not.

Note 9: 4000 mAh, 201g
Galaxy S9+: 3500 mAh, 189g
Pixel 3 XL: 3430 mAh, 184g
Note 8: 3300 mAh, 195g
LG V40: 3300 mAh, 169g
iPhone XS Max: 3174 mAh, 208g

Comparing the dimensions and weight of other phones, LG did a good job with the battery. It's hard to make a phone that incredibly light and thin, plus add a Quad DAC and sound chamber.. there has to be sacrifices, LG only can do so much.. the Pixel 3 XL only has a 3430 mAh, only 130 mAh more than the V40 but nobody is basing Google.. it's all just a perception in your head that 130 mAh is bigger... The Galaxy S9+ has a 3500 mAh battery... Only 200 mAh more.. it's not that much, probably 10-15 minutes extra of usage. Nobody is mad at Samsung for that battery size.. Apple's iPhone XS Max only has a 3174 mAh battery (iPhones are usually more energy efficient than Android, but Andriod is catching up in 2018 and 2019).....

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 9: 4000 mAh, 201g
Galaxy S9+: 3500 mAh, 189g
Pixel 3 XL: 3430 mAh, 184g
Note 8: 3300 mAh, 195g
LG V40: 3300 mAh, 169g
iPhone XS Max: 3174 mAh, 208g

Comparing the dimensions and weight of other phones, LG did a good job with the battery. It's hard to make a phone that incredibly light and thin, plus add a Quad DAC and sound chamber.. there has to be sacrifices, LG only can do so much.. the Pixel 3 XL only has a 3430 mAh, only 130 mAh more than the V40 but nobody is basing Google.. it's all just a perception in your head that 130 mAh is bigger... The Galaxy S9+ has a 3500 mAh battery... Only 200 mAh more.. it's not that much, probably 10-15 minutes extra of usage. Nobody is mad at Samsung for that battery size.. Apple's iPhone XS Max only has a 3174 mAh battery (iPhones are usually more energy efficient than Android, but Andriod is catching up in 2018 and 2019).....

I'm not "mad" at LG. Again, I get your point about the weight. I stand by my point that a phone SO focused on it's media capabilities, and costing $900, would be more competitive if it could also boast of a bigger battery. The Pixel comparison means nothing to me, as I also think that XL3 should have 6gb of RAM and a bigger battery the price tag.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800