[DEV][WIP]Building ICS for the OV

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh, also, does anyone have a good VM670 kernel based on 2.6.35? I see GingerKernel floating around on github and that's apparently what Drew uses. I'll probably use that unless someone has a better one.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A quick look through Bob's pastebin, appears as if we only need to get gralloc loading and grab the proprietary ril blobs and libraries, and that should take care of half of those warnings/errors (once we figure out the proper implementation of each).

For LG, there are diag libraries that are used for reasons other than their name implies, so you might try adding all of those as well, then if any success, begin to remove to isolate.

For the camera, I have no idea if ICS will be backportable due to the library files required. We may need to port the current camera up to ICS.

Having played around with ICS this past week on a friend's phone, I'm kinda partial to Gingerbread. ICS is great on tablets, but I'm not so sure it's the bridge between devices everyone hoped for.

One rant: I hate the ICS task bar! </rant>

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
ICS scales just fine as far as I can tell.
I kind of like it, it does some good things and runs quite well.

This is ICS with Launcher Pro (before I did much with it).
attachment.php

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Making progress.

The first issue I see is that init cannot find /system/etc/init.local.rc (which is referenced from /init.rc on the ramdisk). I didn't think that /system was mounted at the point the rc-files are parsed so I really don't know how his is reading it, but it does seem to be succeeding because there's no error in dmesg.
GB init does "import" as a normal command so that eg. and import line in post-fs can reference files under /system. ICS init does "import" as a part of the parsing process. So that makes it clear why I was getting the import error on my build. I can only assume that lupohirp has done something to change/fix this back to the GB behavior in his build.

In his system, the two mkdir's fail with r=-17, which looks like EEXIST. But in mine they succeed. Even stranger, I don't see how do_mkdir() in system/core/init/builtins.c can return EEXIST because it checks for that and then runs chmod(), which cannot return EEXIST.
GB init does not check for an existing directory. ICS init does. Again, I can only assume that lupohirp reverted that.

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm running an ICS alpha that has been floating around, that was meant for the Optimus S, but still works fine and with wifi, just no calls/txts/data. If it's anything like the progress you guys have made then I'm pretty excited :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 running ICS Alpha Wifi-only using Tapatalk

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Success! I got my build to boot and run on par with Drew's drop: wifi works, no service.

Currently using Drew's kernel+modules and all of the proprietary libs from his drop. Everything else is built from source.

I got past the init troubles by inlining the rc-files under /system/etc and removing "exec sysinit" (after observing that it tries to run /system/xbin/run-parts, which doesn't exist).

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Success! I got my build to boot and run on par with Drew's drop: wifi works, no service.

Currently using Drew's kernel+modules and all of the proprietary libs from his drop. Everything else is built from source.

I got past the init troubles by inlining the rc-files under /system/etc and removing "exec sysinit" (after observing that it tries to run /system/xbin/run-parts, which doesn't exist).

Not very professional - but have you tried dirty flashing it? That's how they got SMS working.. also, hoe about incoming/outgoing calls?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Not very professional - but have you tried dirty flashing it? That's how they got SMS working.. also, hoe about incoming/outgoing calls?

Lol, you made a typo like me. :p

Calling is through Online wifi calling, correct? I saw it on CM7 when messing with settings.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Lol, you made a typo like me. :p

Calling is through Online wifi calling, correct? I saw it on CM7 when messing with settings.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Well, if you wanted to use a voip ..

But tdm, I'm finally understanding you for once. I'm looking through the kernel to se any changes lupo made for hw accel.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Replaced some proprietary libs with the ones from IHO. So far I've been able to:

• Place a call
  • Send SMS
  • Receive SMS
  • Pair with bluetooth speaker

This is looking like it might be a daily driver soon... :D

That's already daily enough for me... :)
Have you taken a crack at the ril?
I believe that the Triumph is CDMA also, so can't we use their commits for getting data to work..?
https://github.com/mantera/android_frameworks_base/commit/c36a4bd43ac205acb7de990558b2e89b22404365

Reactions: Masema

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
That's already daily enough for me... :)
Have you taken a crack at the ril?
I believe that the Triumph is CDMA also, so can't we use their commits for getting data to work..?
https://github.com/mantera/android_frameworks_base/commit/c36a4bd43ac205acb7de990558b2e89b22404365

I believe the libs I copied are all related to the ril:

libril.so libril-qc-1.so liboncrpc.so libdsm.so libqueue.so libdiag.so libauth.so libcm.so libnv.so libpbmlib.so libwms.so libmmgsdilib.so libgsdi_exp.so libgstk_exp.so libril-qcril-hook-oem.so liboem_rapi.so libsnd.so libqmi.so libdss.so

Also copied these binaries:

ami304d cnd qmuxd rild

And 3G does work, just tested. :D

Reactions: Masema and a5pe4

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Replaced some proprietary libs with the ones from IHO. So far I've been able to:

• Place a call
  • Send SMS
  • Receive SMS
  • Pair with bluetooth speaker

This is looking like it might be a daily driver soon... :D

woah! i haven't looked at this in a day or two. i can't believe the progress you've made. you will soon gain legendary status. :D

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe the libs I copied are all related to the ril:

libril.so libril-qc-1.so liboncrpc.so libdsm.so libqueue.so libdiag.so libauth.so libcm.so libnv.so libpbmlib.so libwms.so libmmgsdilib.so libgsdi_exp.so libgstk_exp.so libril-qcril-hook-oem.so liboem_rapi.so libsnd.so libqmi.so libdss.so

Also copied these binaries:

ami304d cnd qmuxd rild

And 3G does work, just tested. :D

This kinda raises the question: What about all the work the other devs have done to get ICS on there... lol will this stop further development from them.?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear