Verizon Galaxy S8 Diagnosing Wifi

Lunikalm

May 19, 2017
Visit site
My S8+ keeps having WiFi problems. It randomly disconnects and reconnects. This is the second S8+ I've had and it behaves the same way. I've done factory resets, attempted every "fix" I've read online, taken the latest update, installed one app at a time, changed router settings, bought a new router and it still drops wifi. Old router was a Linksys WRT1900ACS and the new one is an EA9500. I'm at a loss. Kinda wish I hadn't sold my Pixel XL. No other device I own has this issue.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
...Old router was a Linksys WRT1900ACS and the new one is an EA9500. I'm at a loss. Kinda wish I hadn't sold my Pixel XL. No other device I own has this issue.

Is your S8+ also having the same WiFi connectivity issues elsewhere? Have you used it at a friend/family's home or some public WiFi and it's still a problem?
Also, do you have any problems with mobile data (cellular) or is this just a WiFi matter?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You know, my tab S2 has the same exact problem at my house but zero issues when I take it to my brother's house. I thought it's a problem with my tablet but now I know it's the router and tablet not playing nice for some strange reason that I never figured out. I see how the phone could drive you nuts though. I leaned to live with my tablet doing the same thing for a year now.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Originally had a Netgear router which had multiple 5GHz networks. My S8 had those same Wifi problems connecting to 5GHz on that router, but no problems on 2.4 GHz.

Switched to a Linksys WRT1200AC which only has a single 5GHz network. Haven't had any Wifi problems since.

Lunikalm

May 19, 2017
Visit site
I haven't tried it on other networks yet. Right now I have the routers 5ghz band on ac only with everything else on auto. I also had a shelf I hadn't installed yet so I put that up and set the router on it away from the PC just in case there was some sort of interference. I'll see if the problem reoccurs and go from there I guess. Many thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tried it on other networks yet. Right now I have the routers 5ghz band on ac only with everything else on auto. I also had a shelf I hadn't installed yet so I put that up and set the router on it away from the PC just in case there was some sort of interference. I'll see if the problem reoccurs and go from there I guess. Many thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.
You might want to also experiment with one of your routers by just resetting it back to its default configuration, making no changes to it (for the test) so don't alter the SSID, password, enabling WPA, etc. It'll also probably be 2.4GHz. But see if your phone is having more consistent WiFi that way. If yes, then sit down and think about what options you use when you configure your routers (could be something as simple as not using a special character in your SSID or password, or disabling IPv6). If it's still a problem, maybe there's something going on with your home's broadband connection, maybe something you can alleviate through your cable or DSL modem's set up menu.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
All my stuff is ubiquiti gear and I have reset to default. My girlfriends house is default century link stuff. Problems on both networks and others. Just tested today. Tried static ops. Logged in on both routers to double check if there was conflicting ips and it still does it. I also tried dhcp and static on the phone side. Nothing solves it this far. It's either a phone app or framework problem I am thinking. Anyway good luck all. A quick fix is turn it off and then it back on. Seems to work pretty consistently then. I work at home and probably have to do this twice a day on average.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Originally had a Netgear router which had multiple 5GHz networks. My S8 had those same Wifi problems connecting to 5GHz on that router, but no problems on 2.4 GHz.

Switched to a Linksys WRT1200AC which only has a single 5GHz network. Haven't had any Wifi problems since.
I have had so many problems with netgear stuff through the years. I will not buy any of their stuff anymore.
Firm believer in ubiquiti gear. I have all 23 acres of my property covered with wifi and get these speeds at all corners and they are great for speeds country. Not haul *** speeds by any means but more than acceptable to do anything online streaming. Especially considering I am using a second cell phone hotspot to wireless bridge to a router and 2 repeaters.
f33b89fc58d3eb476d9c200873b6f8b9.jpg

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
This speed test I posted is from one of the repeaters, not router. So this is the slowest it would normally be it's double this when in the house. But I am at least 200 yards away from the repeater here.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had so many problems with netgear stuff through the years. I will not buy any of their stuff anymore.
Firm believer in ubiquiti gear. I have all 23 acres of my property covered with wifi and get these speeds at all corners and they are great for speeds country. Not haul *** speeds by any means but more than acceptable to do anything online streaming. Especially considering I am using a second cell phone hotspot to wireless bridge to a router and 2 repeaters. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170520/f33b89fc58d3eb476d9c200873b6f8b9.jpg

I have had my Samsung S8 since Wednesday and the last couple of days I have noticed this WiFi issue. I have a Netgear in the back of the house and a ActionTech router in the front of the house.

The issue does not seem to have a rhyme or reason just yet, but my Kernel Version is 4.4.16 and Android 7.0.

This issue definitely is a tad annoying. I do not have any issues on my other devices or my Samsung S5 that I am using for work.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Another note, no issues my first 24 hours, I noticed some blips on Friday....I had an update pushed on Thursday morning at 7am.....G950USQU1AQDF

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Netgear R7000 router. Have my S8 plus on 5ghz. Never had any issues. But I've never had any client have issues connecting to this router. Can't say the same for my old Cisco router.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia