Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

hodge73

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
1) Sprint, Evo bought through Best Buy
2) Sort of. Returned epic for Evo, and when I complained of epic battery life, the salesman took the epic and showed me where to find task killer from the market app.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Verizon

Nope, our guys don't suggest them. We are corporate customers so next time I'm in the store I'll ask their policy. Should be able to get a straight answer out of them and if they do push them maybe a reason they think it's beneficial.

VZW already installed lots of stuff that I don't want so I'm not too upset if they put a task killer on. At least I can take it off without rooting.

The fact that task killers don't come pre-installed is indicative of the fact that the smart people who know Android at VZW corporate know they aren't beneficial.

Task killers DO some times make your phone faster, but so does a reboot. I think the reps just put them on for the placebo affect for the customer more than anything. They think it's better.

Watchdog is where it's at though. That'll identify the problem apps and then you can just uninstall it.

Although the Social Networking app on my DX regularly pegs over 40% CPU and I can't uninstall that, thanks VZW.

bbrown13

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
1) Sprint

2) No they didn't mention it. I don't think the salesman knew anything about android. I definately knew more about the Epic than he did.

AbeFrohman

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon.

Purchased Droid X online. Went to store to get extended battery. Oh-so-helpful sales rep (eye roll) said that I would "about double" my battery life if I installed ATK and offered to do it for me while I waited. Thanks, but no thanks.

Relative also bought X online - went to Verizon store to get help transferring contacts or something - they installed ATK without her knowledge. She deleted it at my suggestion.

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Bought my Fascinate online but went into the store to buy a case. Rep told me I should install a task killer and offered to do so for me. I declined and informed her of the error in her ways. She didn't get it...

Reactions: Garett85

ramblerd

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
1. I bought at one of the Wireless Zones from Verizon (Fascinate)

2. Rep actually advised me to NOT install it, and sent me to this website

wryun

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Droid Incredible over the phone through Verizon.
I do not remember hearing anything about installing a task killer.

clintmbrannon

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Vzw atk

Got my Dinc from Verizon about a month ago... First thing the rep did was show me how to open marketplace...then proceeded to install Advanced Task Killer for me. Ugh....

Unknown User

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
When I got the Motorola A855 Droid at VZW rep installed ATK for me. Telling me that it would extend battery life, a few days later I uninstalled it. When I upgraded to Samsung Fascinate rep told me that it had a task manager built in but really didn't care.

TSX05

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
samsung Fascinate from (free fridays at Best buy) yes they told me i should install ATK but didn't install for me.

then 2 wks late went into verizon store to try to learn more about the phone (wanted to set different notification sounds) and after they answered those questions, did say oh and you should install ATK, "i advised I had already tried it and it bogged down my phone so I removed it" she said oh and that was all.

jrod3055

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon, Droid X and no the rep said nothing. However, I installed it. Then I bought a Droid for my wife and had it installed. Recently, I went into the store because of a small problem with my wife's phone and the manager saw it. He told me that VZW had sent down a reminder ensuring they told customers not to install this application. There was no need for it and the on-board features would take care act the same way as the task killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware