dirty kerneling??

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it possable to dirty flash a Linux kernel over the android one basically I want to retain android kernal functions but gain command functions of linux idk know if I'm barking up the wrong tree but are commands like dosfck implemented in the kernel? Or our they a seperate program like chkdsk is for dos?
:D
I'm lernding!
oh yeah what script would I have to disable to allow dirty kerneling?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Is it possable to dirty flash a Linux kernel over the android one basically I want to retain android kernal functions but gain command functions of linux idk know if I'm barking up the wrong tree but are commands like dosfck implemented in the kernel? Or our they a seperate program like chkdsk is for dos?
:D
I'm lernding!
oh yeah what script would I have to disable to allow dirty kerneling?

"Commands" are simply compiled binaries and have almost nothing to do with the kernel. Also, if you installed a standard Linux kernel to your device it would not work, as the correct drivers as well as Android support would be non-existent.

Finally, you can't run two Linux kernels side-by-side. It's one or the other, not both.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Busybox will get a you a heap of commands and comes standard in most custom ROMs. Just curious, what are you trying to run that you cannot do presently?

Related note: I'd so love to see tab completion in adb shell and terminal emulator!

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Busybox will get a you a heap of commands and comes standard in most custom ROMs. Just curious, what are you trying to run that you cannot do presently?

Related note: I'd so love to see tab completion in adb shell and terminal emulator!

tab completion is already there; you just have to run "busybox sh" first

Reactions: epidenimus

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I wanna run dosfck im gonna try busybox

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
ummm, the whole point of adb commands is to emulate what would happen if you used the terminal emulator on the phone itself

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
if busybox isn't enough for you then you could try running ubuntu on top of android.
there's a tutorial around here somewhere...

why exactly do you need
dosfck on android anyways? just curious

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well not reaally haveing a problem I just wanna be able to check the integrity of the storage
My goal is to negate the need for a computer(I don't have one) so I'm always exploreing ways to do stuff just for the heck of it like for example I was hopeing to take the android kernel then flash the latest linux kernel over it (without eraseing the android kernel)to get a more linuxy kernel see the. Android kernel has all the drivers for the s what I was wonder if couldn't build a ghetto kernel by combining the two see linux kernels come with drivers for multiple devices I was hopeing to integrate the drivers by means of dirty flash because I don't have a pc I was gonna try to backwards engineer "flash gui" in aide but leave out the code that erases the kernel before reflashing the new one

Then hopefully by a miracle I could get x-11 to run natively
We don't have the adreno200 driver that's why we have only been able to vnc linux so I was hopeing to make use of the one we have

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well not reaally haveing a problem I just wanna be able to check the integrity of the storage
My goal is to negate the need for a computer(I don't have one) so I'm always exploreing ways to do stuff just for the heck of it like for example I was hopeing to take the android kernel then flash the latest linux kernel over it (without eraseing the android kernel)to get a more linuxy kernel see the. Android kernel has all the drivers for the s what I was wonder if couldn't build a ghetto kernel by combining the two see linux kernels come with drivers for multiple devices I was hopeing to integrate the drivers by means of dirty flash because I don't have a pc I was gonna try to backwards engineer "flash gui" in aide but leave out the code that erases the kernel before reflashing the new one

Then hopefully by a miracle I could get x-11 to run natively
We don't have the adreno200 driver that's why we have only been able to vnc linux so I was hopeing to make use of the one we have

You're getting way ahead of yourself. What you are describing is never going to work. The way Android devices are designed, you can only have 1 kernel installed at a time. Period.

The Android kernel quite literally IS a Linux kernel, just with Android-specific changes.

I quite like the enthusiasm but, as you previously stated, you're barking up the wrong tree.

EDIT: Hold on. You want to run Xorg on our tiny tiny screen? You're nuts. That would be enough space for 3, maybe 4 buttons. A full desktop environment would commit suicide.

Last edited:

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Its a idea:p
So couldn't a dirty kernel be possible?
If it literally IS a linux kernel just like dirty flashing a rom the system retains info from the previous rom ....but do it to the kernel
Someone should try it I'm ill equipped
Weather or not it works
We could call it frankenkernel:p
.....wait a min it not the kernel lacking a driver it the communication between said driver and the ui........so how does linux do it between driver and ui what is this bridge called so I may study it?
Grant in frankenkernel may have been rendered pointless but it could be fun to do anyway
Idk why........but a frankenenkernel would be neat

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So couldn't a dirty kernel be possible? Definitely not.
If it literally IS a linux kernel just like dirty flashing a rom the system retains info from the previous rom ....but do it to the kernel It doesn't work that way, you can run ONE kernel and ONE kernel only at any point in time. There is no "retaining" anything. If you flash HydroKernel, you're running HydroKernel. If you flash XioniaRedux, you're running XioniaRedux.
Someone should try it I'm ill equipped Nobody should try it, you could end up permanently bricking your phone.
Weather or not it works
.....wait a min it not the kernel lacking a driver it the communication between said driver and the ui........so how does linux do it between driver and ui what is this bridge called so I may study it? I don't fully understand the inner workings, it takes years and years and years (did I mention YEARS?) of experience to do *real* kernel development.
Grant in frankenkernel may have been rendered pointless but it could be fun to do anyway If potentially bricking your phone (with the guarantee that what you are doing won't work at all) sounds fun, go for it.

See my comments above in bold. I'm trying to not sound harsh, but what you are describing is undeniably impossible.

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So couldn't a dirty kernel be possible?
If it literally IS a linux kernel just like dirty flashing a rom the system retains info from the previous rom ....but do it to the kernel
Someone should try it I'm ill equipped
Weather or not it works
.....wait a min it not the kernel lacking a driver it the communication between said driver and the ui........so how does linux do it between driver and ui what is this bridge called so I may study it?
Grant in frankenkernel may have been rendered pointless but it could be fun to do anyway

The UI does not talk to the kernel directly at all, there are a number of libraries that abstract functions so this doesn't happen. But what your looking for is call x.org/xFree86 however Android it's already a Linux based system with the UI and apps running on the dalvik VM. Also if you want to run Linux on your Android phone look up Linux for Android and Ubuntu on Android. What your describing is both inefficient and unneeded. Sorry :-(

There are also a number of X11 compatible display managers and VNC clients in the market you can use with the solution I proposed above though.

Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Surely not that many years but I'm sure a few. The way I figure it is I should become a expert so I can tinker you know what they say "when life hands you a brick....build a house"
I'm not talking about running two kernels just one only modified and I'm sure bugs would have to be ironed out

But I now understand about the other binaries. So it just wouldnt work
Iv done the ubuntu/debian install its cool but you can't run anything beyond nethack
The phone would handle it just lacks graphics and everything just FC'S BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS
I tried all the vnc/ x-11 backend apps none work
So I just use VNC
See what happens when a nerd doesn't have a computer they run around and hobble everyone with a sledge hammer
(I don't mean to be difficult O:) )