Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm - Missing in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded the Galaxy S7 user manual for Nougat (directly from Samsung). "Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm", a feature that has been included with "genuine" Android phones (Nexus 5 and newer, for example) since Marshmallow, is still missing from Samsung's phones. It's obvious Samsung engineers don't know now to use their phones as alarm clocks properly.

Consider what you must do if your normal 8AM rise time must be changed to 7AM tomorrow morning:
1. Reset your alarm time to 7AM.
2. Alter the "silent time" schedule so your phone may receive calls and other notifications at 7AM, not 8AM. (After all, you're up and if you are rising at 7AM, wouldn't you want to know about the important calls you may receive before 8AM?)
3. The next morning, don't forget to reset your silent time schedule back to 8AM or you may be woken earlier than you wish dues to an incoming call or whatever.
4. Reset your alarm time to 8AM for the following morning.

However, with "Do not disturb until next alarm":
1. Reset your alarm time to 7AM.
2. At bedtime, enable "do not disturb until next alarm".
3. In the morning, your alarm sounds and your phone immediately shuts off Do Not Disturb.

I think if one considers how we do things "in real life", the very idea of "silent time" instead of "do not disturb until next alarm" is ludicrous. I've asked Samsung to consider adding this very useful feature; perhaps if we can keep this thread going with affirmations, we might have a chance.

Thanks

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Okay; I'll bite. Please suggest -which- "external app" will handle automatically turning off DND upon the alarm firing. I've found none so far. Thanks.

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Looks like Motorola has abandoned "DND until next alarm" in their iteration of Android 7. See here:

https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us...series/moto-g-plus-5th-gen/documents/MS116327

You may turn on DND "until you turn it off" or "for X# of hours" but not "until next alarm".

I've even looked at the user manuals for Google's Pixel phones (well, the webpages that Google believes substitutes for decent PDF manuals) and it's gone from there, as well. I'm at a loss to fathom an explanation for this missing feature in Android 7. My Nexus 5 running Android 6+ has it. (I'd go back to that phone except that there are no longer any security updates for it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac