Do you think there will be Note 7 refurbs at an amazing price?

thefriz151

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I know this might be a little goulish at this point but is anyone else excited about the possibility of getting a refurb Note 7 after this all blows over? I just upgraded from an s3 to an s5 so I am obviously a bit of a cheapskate. I sold my old phone and bought my new one for a $30 difference. Quite an upgrade but I wouldn't mind another step up if the price was right.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 7 refurb at an amazing price thread!

I know this might be a little goulish at this point but is anyone else excited about the possibility of getting a refurb Note 7 after this all blows over? I just upgraded from an s3 to an s5 so I am obviously a bit of a cheapskate. I sold my old phone and bought my new one for a $30 difference. Quite an upgrade but I wouldn't mind another step up if the price was right.
I seriously doubt any of these recalled Note 7s will be refurbished.

Now.. with respect to all of these S7 edges out there that people have as loaners for the past few weeks and will be returning shortly (including the one I'm typing this reply on) ... That's a different story...

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

There going to destroy all the faulty phones there is no way they will end up back in the matket with every thing that has happened...

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

There going to destroy all the faulty phones there is no way they will end up back in the matket with every thing that has happened...
This^^^^ or sell the refurb/certified to the insurance companies to use as claim replacements..
No discounted refurbs for the vultures

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

This^^^^ or sell the refurb/certified to the insurance companies to use as claim replacements..
No discounted refurbs for the vultures
I dont even think that will happen they want 0% Liability with these phones , plus to much expense to service/repair them to sell as refurbished to ins co.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Would they trash the entire phone because of the battery? That would be such a waste. I hope they replace the faulty batteries and do something with those phones.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with the phones per se - the problem lies entirely within the battery - and the battery can be replaced with the proper tools and under the proper conditions. Destroying a $900 electronic device because of a bad battery would be like sending your car to the crusher because your Die Hard died.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If they can take them apart to repair the issue that caused the recall (and carefull test and certify them as part of that process), then there should be no problem with using them as insurance replacements.

Taking the phone apart is not trivial, but can be done. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Note7+Teardown/66389
And was probably already part of the design and maintenance plan for normal replacements on broken glass or component failure.

More likely is they reuse the "safe" parts in other phones, and sent all the problem batteries and charger assemblies in to be recycled.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with the phones per se - the problem lies entirely within the battery - and the battery can be replaced with the proper tools and under the proper conditions. Destroying a $900 electronic device because of a bad battery would be like sending your car to the crusher because your Die Hard died.
Agreed that it's possible to refurbished them...

The amount of bad press attached to sending even one of these back out as a refurbished device negates any gains Samsung would ever see.

Also - keep in mind that it certainly doesn't *cost* $900 to make these devices...

Samsung would probably spend more per device simply trying to figure out the logistics of shipping them back to be refurbished.... I doubt seriously these will even be allowed to put on a plane. It'll be cheaper to scrap them and dispose of them ...

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Since samsung is in the insurance business, I'm just guessing they carry Recall Insurance that would cover most of the costs associated with the recall. The recall insurance would also cover disposal costs, so I think that's where these phones are headed. That would mean that samsung would be out the actual cost of the parts (the S7 was $252). If the parts were as high as $400, then 2.5 million phones would be $1 billion. They can write that off and move on.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Replacing the battery isn't really the big issue I think. It'll be retaining the IP68 certification after cracking the case I would think. Don't know how that would be handled or if it's an easy process. Irregardless, it takes awhile to replace the batteries so don't expect a huge stock of refurbs to be available quickly.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I am just curious. What happens to the millions of Note 7's that have been handed in?

They gave them a proper memorial and all go to phone heaven:-\
On a serious 'note', carriers receiving them back are making sure they are powered down and kept in secure location. They will all be handed back to Samsung and it's up to Samsung either to destroy or refurbished them. IMOP, after all this fiasco and the 'original' Note 7s reputation, I doubt Samsung will refurbish them. It will also take some time for them to make sure all the affected Note 7s have been handed in. May take months. By that time Note 8 will be in production and the replacement Note 7s will be discounted.

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Same here. I used to, but I've had too many experiences go wrong to go down that path again.

i LOVE refurbs!! So long as they come with a 90 Day warranty, have bought at least 100 over past couple of years and ain't never been burned YET...(ha, see what i did there?!)

BTC