Does anyone find S Health useful?

ekt8750

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I think it's great. I use it on my Note 5 to track what I do at the gym. It's not 100% accurate but I mostly life weights at the gym anyway and for that I'm fine with it. What I mostly use it for is logging my meals and it's damned good at that.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a FitBit Alta and was disappointed that S Health supports a limited number of activity trackers and smart watches. (I suppose it is to continue selling their own brand of fitness products.) Before I switched to the FitBit app, I used S Health to log steps, calories, activity, water intake, weight.

Overall, I find my biggest gripe to be lack of compatibility with devices of our choosing. If it did support FitBit, I'd definitely continue using it as the dashboard is clean and easy to access. I also like taking pictures of my meals when I log them, so that is an added bonus through S Health. The step tracker seems to be pretty accurate for me while walking and on the elliptical. When lifting weights, I really don't worry about tracking that activity and whatever steps are included is fine. The sleep tracker asks you every day if you were asleep for a specific duration and to assign it a rating.

The app itself is very rewarding to use and you'll get encouraging notifications as you meet goals and set personal bests. It's not perfect, but if you can live with the little nuances that come with almost every app, then you'll be just fine. The more you use it, the better analysis and trend data you will get.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Use it with my Gear S phone, as a few people said. Its great for tracking my steps and logging it. Afew of my buddies have daily competitions on who can take the most steps every day. We post it at the end of the day. That what happens when one of my friend is a med student.
I wish s-health had a web version of the app like weight watchers.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I use it for the heart rate, stress and O2 measurements, not sure how accurate but its fun. Also to count my caffeine intake. If i recall correctly, a person i knew used the steps and after some time they realized it was highly inaccurate.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I use the heart rate sensor at the gym, but that's the only useful thing about it. The O2 stats are worthless. Everyone who's conscious has enough blood oxygen. If you didn't have enough, you'd be passed out, which makes that feature worthless.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I use the heart rate sensor at the gym, but that's the only useful thing about it. The O2 stats are worthless. Everyone who's conscious has enough blood oxygen. If you didn't have enough, you'd be passed out, which makes that feature worthless.

I can see the o2 stats more when I'm sick or my kids. But I already have a home monitor for that. N

Posted via the Android Central App

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from a Fitbit Charge to the Gear S2, but it turns out that the one feature I use most isn't supported on the Gear (or S Health, for that matter), sleep tracking. Guess my upgrade was more of a downgrade.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a Fitbit Charge to the Gear S2, but it turns out that the one feature I use most isn't supported on the Gear (or S Health, for that matter), sleep tracking. Guess my upgrade was more of a downgrade.

They must have removed the sleep tracker on the Gear S2. I have it on my Gear S watch and it is supported in S Health. I just never remember to turn this on at night.

Screen-20160329103212.png

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
They must have removed the sleep tracker on the Gear S2. I have it on my Gear S watch and it is supported in S Health. I just never remember to turn this on at night.

View attachment 222585

Yeah, the S2 has something similar, but like you said, it's manual only, not as convenient as the Fitbit's. Like you, I either forget (or are simply too tired) to fiddle with it.

Domestoboto92x

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 on stock Lollipop. I use S Health, Google Fit, a Jawbone UP24 (and the blue UP app), and MyFitnessPal.

S Health is WITHIN what I consider to be THE MARGIN OF ERROR for my step count and "active time" - a 1xx steps and 30 Seconds activity disparity between services doesn't bother me that much - Jawbone has the more Conservative count. Google Fit counts a bit more but it sucks battery. S Health counts great.

But Samsung REALLY needs to include at least MyFitnessPal interconnectivity - so the running activity reflects better. Nike+ is HOPELESS for anyone but New York City Marathoners and their kind!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I should probably turn that on. I only do the step thing within S-Health. I need to explore the other options it has...

When you have this turned on, it places your sleep pattern on a graph so you can see when you were getting the most restful sleep.

I should start using it again. You just turn it on a while before you think you will be falling asleep or when you get into bed is probably best.

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use it daily to track food/water, steps, walks, and some workouts. I use it on both my Note 5 and Gear S. I noticed too, after the last update, that S Health will now track sleep pretty accurately automatically on my Note.

Maisoumenos

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm a runner and I love S Health. It does more than an adequate job for me. It doesn't have a"weight lifting" section so I'm not sure what exactly the person who started this forum was looking for. It's good at what it does

mdafesh

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I used to use it everyday and it was nic to keep track of my workout length, how often I worked out, steps (not accurate), and cardio. but I found that the calories burned and all the real relevant information wasn't accurate. I bought a Microsoft Band 2 last month (it was $100 cheaper and alot cheaper than Gear S2) and I will never use anything else to track my workouts. I did a lot of research based on my needs and I found this to be the best solution... HR, Calories, Distance, Intensity of Workouts, Sleep, Microsoft Health App, Golf (it's a big one for me) and outdoor running walking or biking with a standalone GPS (mind you, battery doesn't last on GPS longer than 4 hrs, but who needs a GPS for workouts longer than 4hrs?) Anyways.. Does anyone know how to disable S Health completely from my S6 Edge?

Marc Jentzsch

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if you're a runner, it's useful, but I think not for much else.

I'm a runner and I don't find it to be useful (maybe occasionally useful when I'm figuring out a new route and how far it is, but I have a lot of tools for that). I also used a Fitbit for a while. The Fitbit seemed better, but I don't take my phone when I run and I hate wearing watches and fitness bands so ultimately, such things are pointless for me. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I do seem to be in the minority. It's all just another thing (or a set of things) to manage that doesn't materially contribute to my quality of life. I only use this stuff during workplace competitions now.