Does H on AT&T mean LTE on the Nexus 6P?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
re:

Anyone have the 6P's factory APN's?
I wrote them down and now can't find them :(

I looked up a chat I had with AT&T and at that time, I told them my APN was set to the following:

default,mms,supl,fota,hipri

I had not changed anything since I got the phone so I assume that is the default.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
re:

You can ignore my last post. I ended up rebooting the phone and now I'm getting LTE speeds. I just wish that AT&T lady would have said after you put in the settings reboot the phone lol

Posted via the Android Central App

This initially wasn't working for me, but I had to change the APN from ATT Nextgenphone to ATT Phone. I remember having to change the APN when I first got the phone. This may be the solution for those of you with devices that still won't get LTE.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Although I work and travel in a strong ATT LTE area my new 6P bounces in and out of LTE randomly and without warning. This is most annoying when WiFi is not available and I am getting H and it's slow download speeds - I've spent countless hours on the phone w/ATT and Google to no avail, this could end up being a deal breaker for me as I rely on my phone throughout the day for work and personal

This initially wasn't working for me, but I had to change the APN from ATT Nextgenphone to ATT Phone. I remember having to change the APN when I first got the phone. This may be the solution for those of you with devices that still won't get LTE.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I made the mistake of installing 6.0.1 on my Gold 6P after holding off since I got the phone and it notified me the minute I opened the box there was an update to 6.0.1 available, no LTE on AT&T now. I can't believe Google would release an update that would break this. Trying to figure out how to go back to 6.0.0 now...

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I made the mistake of installing 6.0.1 on my Gold 6P after holding off since I got the phone and it notified me the minute I opened the box there was an update to 6.0.1 available, no LTE on AT&T now. I can't believe Google would release an update that would break this. Trying to figure out how to go back to 6.0.0 now...

I called google Tech Support and after 5 to 10 minutes of troubleshooting they agreed to replace and send me a new 6P to replace my defective device
This time upon start up I ignored the notification (and continue to ignore) to upgrade to 6.01 and I've had no issues staying locked in on AT&T LTE.
I also took a couple of other steps for setting up my new 6P replacement: I picked up a new AT&T 4G LTE sim card vs. using the one that was in my AT&T S6 Edge, under APN's instead of using the ATTNextgen APN, I chose the ATT Phone option and I did not modify the factory APN settings. All combined (not sure which one did the trick since I did all together) I am now not having any LTE issues

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I had this same problem with my Nexus 6P on AT&T. I was not getting LTE, only HSPA+. I figured my IMEI number was not added correctly to my account when I upgraded. So I called AT&T tech support, and first off let me give credit where credit is due, as I had my fair share of issues with AT&T. Talked to Jason, who was a super cool guy, not a robot, spent about 20 minutes troubleshooting my phone and my account settings. When the issue was resolved he even called me back to follow up. Could not be happier with the support I got.

Now onto the issue at hand. Turns out my IMEI number was correctly set on my account, and LTE was set as my Preferred network type under Cellular network settings. The issue was with my APN. The below change applies to both ATT Nextgenphone and ATT Phone APNs. Only this single line was changed from my original APN settings:

APN Type
default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri

The original setting did not include admin, and was in a different order. I was told the order actually matters. After this I am now getting LTE on both APNs and not HSPA+. I am using ATT Nextgenphone as I understand that with Marshmallow 6.0.1 VoLTE works on this APN.

This worked! Thanks!

Richard Lucas

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just changed the order of my APN type as user PPTARR recommended. It is working so far but you never really know until after a few days. I will report back. Here are the APN settings I am using:
UPDATE (February 5, 2016): I can say that the order of the APN type seemed to improve LTE connectivity a lot. In the subway where it usually defaults to HSPA, it stayed on LTE. However, after several days straight of no issues, it finally got locked on HSPA for several hours before I finally had to toggle airplane mode to fix it.
1.png
2.png
3.png

Last edited:

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This bug that is causing the LTE issue is interesting..... I am not having any issues and I do not have admin in my APN settings?
I am locked in on LTE now without any issues

D

Deleted member 1065517

this was not an issue on 6.0.0, so the imei fix is unlikely. att programmed my imei when switching over to the 6p and again, it worked on 6.0.0. the "apn" thing as been discussed, but for a lot of folks the lte working is short-lived.

cut and paste from the many other lte threads:

this was a big introduced way back when the 6.0.1 update was released at the beginning of december and had yet to be fixed. the apn solution worked only sometimes after a reboot... for me anyway. not sure how the apn change will affect those on different carriers since folks all over the world have reported this.

see bug thread here:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197102

if the op in that thread is only somewhat your issue, take a look at post #127 also.

star that thread, leave useful comments, AND create a bug report to help.

temporary fixes tried:
1. reseting network connections in backup/reset
2. the *#*#4636#*#* (star, pound, star pound, 4636, pound, star, pound, star), test info, blah blah, set to zero
3. including admin in the apn
4. using another apn
5. toggling data, airplane mode, or rebooting.
6. rma'ing
7. trying different radios
8. starting from scratch with factory image
9. uninstalling goole connectivity services updates "trick"
10. making sure to turn off WiFi before rebooting.

again STAR the issue in the top upper left corner of the link provided, leave a useful comment, and make a bug report. ALL the of these help.

probably missed a few others that i've tried.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks like it may be time to park my 6P and go back to my S6 Edge until this issue is fixed. I rely on my phone for work and personal and the slower download speeds of H or H+ is a killer for me :(

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
just left my phone on 6.0.0 but even then, showing LTE (AT&T), it's extremely slow - just tried downloading an app (speed test ironically) and it's going about 20-30 KB/s
speed test clocked me at:

(STL) 66ms ping, 2.82mbps download, 0.08mbps upload (only at the very end, was 0.00 most of the time).

suggestions? thoughts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae