Don't worry, here's a phony tracking number to console you

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about here, man. I currently have 8 deliveries on their way to me via UPS and I ship via UPS almost every day. The only thing different about the weekend is whether or not the vans that deliver to your house come out. Saturday delivery costs extra, and there is no delivery on Sunday. The shipping network runs 24/7.

Now a couple things to note. One is that everyone with a delivery date of Monday on their tracking seems to have had their labels prepared on 7/12, which is odd. The other is that according to UPS, every package must have it's label it scanned into their system at the first process center it arrives at usually done with a big stack of barcodes on paper so they don't have to scan each package, which hasn't happened. I would also note that if they had been shipped on Friday, they wouldn't be in bulk groups anymore, they would be spit up and 90 percent of the way to each of their individual destinations. So if the guy who worked at UPS has any more ideas about this, that would be awesome.

We payed for 2 day shipping. If it doesn't come by Monday, then they have failed to provide 2 day shipping.

Secondly, they promised a pre-order. I've quoted this like half a dozen times now, but here's the definition of a pre-order:

They failed to provide immediate delivery on release. Therefore they didn't provide a pre-order, which is what they sold us. Do you understand?

When was the exact launch date? Because Google never said anything about a date. GameStop and others did. Not google

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
When was the exact launch date? Because Google never said anything about a date. GameStop and others did. Not google

Google has confirmed that they gave the go-ahead to sell on Friday. I called them, just like I called UPS. Call and ask yourself if you don't believe me and are convinced that the 8 retailers that sold on July 13 were all staging a coup on Google.

Google promised a pre-order and failed to deliver it on launch day, which means it's not a pre-order.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Google has confirmed that they gave the go-ahead to sell on Friday. I called them, just like I called UPS. Call and ask yourself if you don't believe me and are convinced that the 8 retailers that sold on July 13 were all staging a coup on Google.

Google promised a pre-order and failed to deliver it on launch day, which means it's not a pre-order.

Oh I never heard anything from them. Other than shipping in 2-3 weeks. I called many of times and they told me it would be the 18th for me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about here, man. I currently have 8 deliveries on their way to me via UPS and I ship via UPS almost every day. The only thing different about the weekend is whether or not the vans that deliver to your house come out. Saturday delivery costs extra, and there is no delivery on Sunday. The shipping network runs 24/7.

Now a couple things to note. One is that everyone with a delivery date of Monday on their tracking seems to have had their labels prepared on 7/12, which is odd. The other is that according to UPS, every package must have it's label it scanned into their system at the first process center it arrives at usually done with a big stack of barcodes on paper so they don't have to scan each package, which hasn't happened. I would also note that if they had been shipped on Friday, they wouldn't be in bulk groups anymore, they would be spit up and 90 percent of the way to each of their individual destinations. So if the guy who worked at UPS has any more ideas about this, that would be awesome.

We payed for 2 day shipping. If it doesn't come by Monday, then they have failed to provide 2 day shipping.

Secondly, they promised a pre-order. I've quoted this like half a dozen times now, but here's the definition of a pre-order:

They failed to provide immediate delivery on release. Therefore they didn't provide a pre-order, which is what they sold us. Do you understand?

You plainly misunderstand what a preorder actually is. Your definition is meaningless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Not that anyone is listening but I too have experience ordering things. when given a choice I use USPS or FedEx because my luck always has the weekend interupt shipping. It works something like this

USPS - packages are ALWAYS moving. Delivery doesn't occur on Sunday but the package gets sorted to the closest sorting station or even closest post office. Depends on local.

FedEx- does seem to deliver on Saturday but I think it's only Smart Post (that actually comes in USPS vehicles)

UPS- Package may move on Saturday or may sit locked in a truck all weekend. Packages are locked up on Sunday.

I like UPS but this Sunday's off thing is straight out of the dark ages. We don't all worship the same being and we don't all have the same day off.

That being said it's normal for packages to not be updated on the weekend and it's still very possible that your first update Monday will say it's out for delivery. I've even had things arrive before the tracking number became active.

Dareoth

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't received and tracking number or an email or had my account charged... and I pre ordered as soon as I got home from work after the keynote, 12:53am EST on June 28. (So technically not the day of the keynote, but around 12 hours from it). And yet I've heard nothing. I don't even have a fake number or a pending charge. While some people who pre ordered last Thursday have that already...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
You plainly misunderstand what a preorder actually is. Your definition is meaningless.

Actually that's pretty much spot on. Pre-orders are supposed to arrive on or before the release date. I pre-order a lot of stuff. Games, movies, even books. I've never ordered hardware before. If I pick it up locally it usually is on release day. If it's mailed it often arrives the day before, sometimes sooner.

Having said that I still don't think Google missed the mark by too much. They should have shipped them last Monday and had them to us by Wednesday, then let the stores sell them Thursday. I must assume (ass-u-me) that they had a reason not to.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't received and tracking number or an email or had my account charged... and I pre ordered as soon as I got home from work after the keynote, 12:53am EST on June 28. (So technically not the day of the keynote, but around 12 hours from it). And yet I've heard nothing. I don't even have a fake number or a pending charge. While some people who pre ordered last Thursday have that already...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I've noticed that as well. I ordered VERY late. A few days ago actually and have my email from Google with an (as of now) non-functional tracking number. Some have guessed that UPS is handling it by region, or even at random. I haven't seen a pattern but it seems clear that order date was not a factor. One can also assume that since Monday was the last shipping day (or was it Tuesday) that they consider them all to be shipping at about the same time.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually that's pretty much spot on. Pre-orders are supposed to arrive on or before the release date. I pre-order a lot of stuff. Games, movies, even books. I've never ordered hardware before. If I pick it up locally it usually is on release day. If it's mailed it often arrives the day before, sometimes sooner.

Having said that I still don't think Google missed the mark by too much. They should have shipped them last Monday and had them to us by Wednesday, then let the stores sell them Thursday. I must assume (ass-u-me) that they had a reason not to.

Show me where Google ever advertised that pre orders would be shipped or received on launch day. Show me where Google ever even GAVE a launch date. Google did what apple does with their launches after the first stock is gone; they gave a rough timeframe, which DOES include a timeframe beyond launch day. Every single apple launch includes pre orders that do not ship until weeks after launch day.

These days, a preorder only guarantees you a device sometime during launch. It doesn't mean you'll get it on launch day unless the seller specifically states that.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like Apple is an exception to a common rule. Show me any pre-order that DOESN'T get to you before or on it's release. That's the entire point. You don't order an iPad because you think no one will sell them ever. You order it to get it as soon as possible. That means BEFORE you can walk into Staples and just pick one up. Any other way is just absurd.

Anyway, we'll never agree on this so we'll just have to part here. I think google was a little slow. Not as bad as people think right now, but once emotions cool we'll all feel differently.

Reactions: Tom S.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like Apple is an exception to a common rule. Show me any pre-order that DOESN'T get to you before or on it's release. That's the entire point. You don't order an iPad because you think no one will sell them ever. You order it to get it as soon as possible. That means BEFORE you can walk into Staples and just pick one up. Any other way is just absurd.

Anyway, we'll never agree on this so we'll just have to part here. I think google was a little slow. Not as bad as people think right now, but once emotions cool we'll all feel differently.

The key difference, which seems to be getting lost in all the whining, is that Google never said anyone would receive it before it was available in stores, and never gave an exact date for launch. THAT is a key difference that invalidates most of the complaining.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The key difference, which seems to be getting lost in all the whining, is that Google never said anyone would receive it before it was available in stores, and never gave an exact date for launch. THAT is a key difference that invalidates most of the complaining.

Look, Wikipedia, the Dictionary and hoard of angry people disagree with you. I'm sorry it offends you so much. That's all I can, like others have said, nobody is going to convince you otherwise, or you us. It's time for me to smoke some research chems and watch Breaking Bad, this whole deal is seeming more and more futile by the minute.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Look, Wikipedia, the Dictionary and hoard of angry people disagree with you. I'm sorry it offends you so much. That's all I can, like others have said, nobody is going to convince you otherwise, or you us. It's time for me to smoke some research chems and watch Breaking Bad, this whole deal is seeming more and more futile by the minute.

And yet the retail industry does not. Interesting how that works.

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The retail industry does view the preorder process as a system by which consumers order a product before it is available and then receive it immediately upon release.

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been in management for a large retail chain for over 15 years and I can assure you that an effort is usually made out to ship pre-orders before they are immediately available in retail to encourage pre-orders in the future as it helps us gauge demand and how much stock we will need, in addition to consumer goodwill.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The retail industry does view the preorder process as a system by which consumers order a product before it is available and then receive it immediately upon release.

Only if the retailer advertises it as being shipped or received on launch day. Google did not. Nor have they even announced a launch day yet.

Also, we have past examples from Apple, Samsung, and others where pre orders do not mean that you receive it or it is shipped the same day as launch.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Only if the retailer advertises it as being shipped or received on launch day. Google did not. Nor have they even announced a launch day yet.

Also, we have past examples from Apple, Samsung, and others where pre orders do not mean that you receive it or it is shipped the same day as launch.

They both shipped at least their first batch of pre-orders to arrive by launch. And for the last time, 7/13 was launch day. I called Google and asked yesterday, feel free to do so yourself I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you the same thing.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They both shipped at least their first batch of pre-orders to arrive by launch. And for the last time, 7/13 was launch day. I called Google and asked yesterday, feel free to do so yourself I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you the same thing.

You got a rep that wanted you off the phone, plain and simple. If it was launch day, Google would have said something. The only announcement Google made was, in fact, that they started shipping preorders.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
You got a rep that wanted you off the phone, plain and simple. If it was launch day, Google would have said something. The only announcement Google made was, in fact, that they started shipping preorders.

Ah yes. It went on sale at 8 retailers and Google reps are telling customers that 7/13 was the launch day, as well as being happy to inform people which retailers they had sent shipments to and had them available for purchase.

For God's sake man, the LAST thing a rep would tell somebody upset about the device they pre-ordered being on shelves is "yep, today's launch day, we missed it".

This is not some giant conspiracy that retailers and Google customer service is whipping up to confuse you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000