Don't worry, here's a phony tracking number to console you

quinnsdaddy11

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
You got a rep that wanted you off the phone, plain and simple. If it was launch day, Google would have said something. The only announcement Google made was, in fact, that they started shipping preorders.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They even lied about that. My "UPS Tracking" info says my label was created July 9th, now on July 16th (a week later) there is no further updates.

Google also stated it would be released mid-July. Here is some simple math:

31/2 = 15.5

So technically if I don't have it in my hands by today they messed up and even lied about mid-july. They need to immediately credit all Google Play Store pre-orders by $15 that is the only way to make this right.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
You plainly misunderstand what a preorder actually is. Your definition is meaningless.

Yeah, him and the millions of others who have ever done a pre-order. You can argue all day buddy, but even if you're right (you're not), it's matter of what the general consumers expectations are. They clearly agree with the wikipedia definition.

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Not that anyone is listening but I too have experience ordering things. when given a choice I use USPS or FedEx because my luck always has the weekend interupt shipping. It works something like this

USPS - packages are ALWAYS moving. Delivery doesn't occur on Sunday but the package gets sorted to the closest sorting station or even closest post office. Depends on local.

FedEx- does seem to deliver on Saturday but I think it's only Smart Post (that actually comes in USPS vehicles)

UPS- Package may move on Saturday or may sit locked in a truck all weekend. Packages are locked up on Sunday.

I like UPS but this Sunday's off thing is straight out of the dark ages. We don't all worship the same being and we don't all have the same day off.

That being said it's normal for packages to not be updated on the weekend and it's still very possible that your first update Monday will say it's out for delivery. I've even had things arrive before the tracking number became active.

UPS is unionized.

rn701

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I was having a hard time getting too worked up about the botched launch or waiting a little longer and so forth.

But back to the topic of email notifications with tracking numbers that don't show up in UPS tracking, this is major fubar.

I ordered on the 27th, got an email Saturday the 14th at 3AM saying it had "shipped." Like the original poster, it wasn't in UPS's system yet, and just now showed up 48 hours later.

I didn't get too worked up about that either, allowing for California time and it being the weekend and everything.

The odd thing is, today UPS says the label was printed on Jul 11th but they still haven't received it and will update the status once they do. So it technically still hasn't shipped, and if they get it today I guess I'll get it Wednesday.

And that's OK, too. But really, this is ridiculous. Sending out fake "shipped" emails to appease people (and in my case I wasn't even all that worried about it) is stupid and just stirs the pot even more and makes it worse for them from a PR perspective.

Google is clearly new at this, and they are prone to try a lot of new and crazy stuff to see what works and what doesn't. In this case it didn't. And really, whoever "managed" this fiasco should probably be fired or reassigned to the loading dock, if they even have one.

P.S. Curious that the label was printed on 7/11, and if it had shipped then I would have had it Friday when everyone else was buying them at Sam's or whatever which may have been their plan. It makes me wonder if there was a problem with an injunction or warehouse logistics or something else that caused a delay that they aren't telling anyone about and instead are sending out fake "shipped" notices to call off the pitchforks and torches.

Last edited:
Reactions: crackberrytraitor

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This absurd argument about whether Google specifically told you that you would get it on release day is like saying if you order a pizza and it is delivered 4 days later you can't be mad because they never specifically told you when they would deliver it. Just stop it already. The fact is that their use of the term preorder indicates by itself the expectation of receiving on or within a day or two of the release date. If that wasn't their intent they shouldn't have used that term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: keithz

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The key difference, which seems to be getting lost in all the whining, is that Google never said anyone would receive it before it was available in stores, and never gave an exact date for launch. THAT is a key difference that invalidates most of the complaining.

Simple rule: The customer is always right.

Sorry. Weaseling out on technicalities doesn't get you anywhere when you run a business. It does not matter, if there wasn't an explicit commitment (if you don't count 2-3 weeks as that, though it looks like they might not even make the 3 week mark for many orders...like all orders in Canada or Australia), if their customers had an expectation and they failed to understand them or deliver on them, the fault is Google's, not the customers. It is Google that is obligated to manage expectations, communicate with their customers, and deliver on customer's expectations. They have thoroughly failed on all 3 counts.

If this was a seller or craigslist or eBay, people would be lambasting them as a some shady operation. The only reason, Google is getting off easy is because it's Google.

Reactions: Tom S.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You got a rep that wanted you off the phone, plain and simple. If it was launch day, Google would have said something. The only announcement Google made was, in fact, that they started shipping preorders.

At what point does your fanboyism stop and common sense kick in.

They tweet and post on Google+ about shipping orders. Stores are openly selling stock. Their own reps are calling it a launch.

Tell me at what point, you'll start saying the device has launched. If they never put out an official tweet that the device has launched, will you keep saying months from now that it never officially launched?

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
This absurd argument about whether Google specifically told you that you would get it on release day is like saying if you order a pizza and it is delivered 4 days later you can't be mad because they never specifically told you when they would deliver it. Just stop it already. The fact is that their use of the term preorder indicates by itself the expectation of receiving on or within a day or two of the release date. If that wasn't their intent they shouldn't have used that term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. I would have had no issues had the website just said "Order" or "Buy now" with a 3 week delivery time. They clearly meant to convey a different idea by saying "Pre-order". On the website and during the keynote.

Heck, aparently Google's definition of pre-order doesn't line up with its own retail partners. All their partners (in every launch country) are wrong. All their customers are wrong. Google is right. And they never screw up.:confused:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Simple rule: The customer is always right.

Sorry. Weaseling out on technicalities doesn't get you anywhere when you run a business. It does not matter, if there wasn't an explicit commitment (if you don't count 2-3 weeks as that, though it looks like they might not even make the 3 week mark for many orders...like all orders in Canada or Australia), if their customers had an expectation and they failed to understand them or deliver on them, the fault is Google's, not the customers. It is Google that is obligated to manage expectations, communicate with their customers, and deliver on customer's expectations. They have thoroughly failed on all 3 counts.

If this was a seller or craigslist or eBay, people would be lambasting them as a some shady operation. The only reason, Google is getting off easy is because it's Google.

Except the customer ISN'T always right, especially when they're dead wrong.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
At what point does your fanboyism stop and common sense kick in.

They tweet and post on Google+ about shipping orders. Stores are openly selling stock. Their own reps are calling it a launch.

Tell me at what point, you'll start saying the device has launched. If they never put out an official tweet that the device has launched, will you keep saying months from now that it never officially launched?

Translation: Google never said that it launched, unlike what I claimed earlier in the thread.

BilliamdaIII

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it should have been shipped earlier so we could have gotten it on friday, but to complain about these "phony tracking numbers" is dumb.

I order a lot of stuff online and sometimes on say a Thursday or Friday from both UPS and FedEx. I have never gotten an update on a Saturday or Sunday. Usually it says the label has been created (first day) and then I have to wait all weekend just to get another update saying it has shipped. This is a normal shipping thing.

Its one thing to complain about the shipping cost and tax or when we are getting the tablet relative to stores selling them, which I totally agree with. But this seems like people looking for another complaint that just shows impatience and inexperience when ordering online.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it should have been shipped earlier so we could have gotten it on friday, but to complain about these "phony tracking numbers" is dumb.

I order a lot of stuff online and sometimes on say a Thursday or Friday from both UPS and FedEx. I have never gotten an update on a Saturday or Sunday. Usually it says the label has been created (first day) and then I have to wait all weekend just to get another update saying it has shipped. This is a normal shipping thing.

Its one thing to complain about the shipping cost and tax or when we are getting the tablet relative to stores selling them, which I totally agree with. But this seems like people looking for another complaint that just shows impatience and inexperience when ordering online.

I have 4 tracking numbers that updated all through the weekend that say you're wrong.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Must resist urge to log into Wikipedia and make my own definition up.

This is the best thread ever.

It is a bit amusing watching everyone with their pitchforks and torches.

As for me, It looks like it's going to be delivered tomorrow (assuming UPS doesn't F it up somehow), which is right within the ships within 1-2 weeks promised on the website.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
What's interesting us that Google hasn't updated their play store message from last week. It still says all pre-orders will ship in the next three business days. That inspires confidence, since I ordered on the 27 th and have no tracking info.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
You must be one of the very few(if any more) lucky ones then.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Now I'm not referring to N7 tracking numbers, rather for several batches of sweet, juicy 3-meo-PCP, but it's not at all lucky. I ship things through pretty much every weekend and the only day my shipments sometimes don't move is Sunday.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread and so many others are ridiculous, everyone needs to calm down.

I placed my order on July 8th, and google play said expected to ship in 1-2 weeks. I got my shipping number late friday night and it didn't get updated until this afternoon, did I sit here all weekend thinking I had a "phony tracking number" because it didn't update until all weekend? No. It's the weekend and I wasn't expecting anything to happen till today. It was less than a week when I got the shipping number and expected delivery is just over a week. If they shipped my tablet this friday I would still be happy since it's within the time what I was initially told.

Reactions: JesusG90

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This thread and so many others are ridiculous, everyone needs to calm down.

I placed my order on July 8th, and google play said expected to ship in 1-2 weeks. I got my shipping number late friday night and it didn't get updated until this afternoon, did I sit here all weekend thinking I had a "phony tracking number" because it didn't update until all weekend? No. It's the weekend and I wasn't expecting anything to happen till today. It was less than a week when I got the shipping number and expected delivery is just over a week. If they shipped my tablet this friday I would still be happy since it's within the time what I was initially told.

Eeeeyyuup

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums