Double Lock Screen after Marshmallow update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadnabox

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
biometrics are notoriously awful. Fingerprints especially are bad, you can't change your fingerprints and you leave them in hundreds of places every day. This is nothing new in IT security, we've known how insecure fingerprints are for decades now. Badbadbadbadbadbadbad BAD idea

None the less, you still have to swipe to get to the point where you can use a fingerprint (I tested this despite the fact even testing fingerprints nearly gave me an aneurysm)

Third party apps aren't a great answer. Many are adware, many ADD more screens to swipe on in addition to the default google screens, the few from people I sort of trust (Microsoft) still have the same problem since they insist on "providing" quick links to apps on the home screen, so you have to swipe past those to get to the unlock.

Seriously, whatever happened to "I want nothing but emergency contacts and a way to unlock the phone, no other information available"? Am I the only security minded individual that doesn't like the idea of messages being visible from the unlock screen? What if I don't want to load apps from a single swipe?

Whatever happened to KISS? Tap button, draw unlock or swipe for list of emergency contacts.. why for the love of deity does anything else need to be mandatory? Here's hoping someone pulls their head out of their rectum soon and provides a fix (it really shouldn't be that hard to program in... really)

anon(5477192)

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I read that the fingerprint unlock is better in the update but have yet to try it.

The point of going with the fingerprint was to use google pay. When that didn't work all the time I went with the password. NOW, I have to use the swipe and password even when I am at trusted places. Turned off NFC because I set it just to swipe.

Thank goodness for this long awaited update to change things for the worse.

mpgarate

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I am also having this issue. Fingerprint is not a secure option for me, and I would like to return to the pattern without swiping first.

mrcurupira01

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't worry guys...chuck is here to save the day

My note 5 did the. Same thing and pissed me off

After messing around for a few minutes it seems like your phone automatically double locks at the four hours as a double measure of security

To fix it go into settings, accessibility and turn the directions lock off

That's worked for me so far....
Good luck hope it. Works

nole361

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Have the same problem after my marshmallow upgrade on my Tmobile S6.

I used to be able to unlock with just a fingerprint scan. Now I have to frequently do a password or pin as well after having scanned fingerprint. Super annoying.

Seems like I don't have to enter the pin every time. Some kind of timeout or change in state with the phone resets it back to pin required mode.

xxdbkxx

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Found this on another thread and it worked perfectly for me.

"I had this same problem and just figured out how to fix it. It has to do with your trusted agents. Go under security settings, advanced settings, there you should see trusted agents, turn it off. This should fix your double locked problem."

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Found this on another thread and it worked perfectly for me.

"I had this same problem and just figured out how to fix it. It has to do with your trusted agents. Go under security settings, advanced settings, there you should see trusted agents, turn it off. This should fix your double locked problem."

Turned off Trust Agent "Smart Lock( Google )" and still the same issue. Tried rebooting just to make sure. Same issue.
Also if others want to try it's actually under;
SETTINGS > LOCK SCREEN AND SECURITY > OTHER SECURITY SETTINGS > TRUST AGENTS

I am starting to think there is no fix for this., And it's annoying. Using finger print or 3rd party is NOT an option or a solution for me. Hope someone finds something soon. VERY annoying update.

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So since neither of the 2 suggestions above worked. Has anyone found a way around this issue with the double security issue?
Other than changing to finger print. And remaining with Pattern unlock?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried contacting Samsung about this?

So just to say I did so. I contacted Samsung....

Dexter: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?
Kevin: Hey Dexter, quick question. Galaxy S6 Just got Android M upgrade Curious on firstly WHY I now have to Swipe to unlock and then enter my pattern
Kevin: Before this, I used to just have to enter my pattern, is there a way to prevent the initial new SWIPE first
Dexter: I understand your concern , Please let me know have you update the device now?
Kevin: I just told you I just updated to Android M, 6.0.1 on the 18th is the day I updated
Kevin: On Lollipop this wasn't an issue, it is on Marshmallow
Dexter: Okay as you have updated the device the version will wary from version to version some features will be added and some features will be removed.
Kevin: Yes, I understand that it's a feature and not a bug. How do I PREVENT said feature, or disable the DOUBLE security. I do not want to have to SWIPE then enter my pattern, I want to just enter my pattern as I did previous
Kevin: Is there a way to turn off the double lock/swipe first
Kevin: This is a big issue that many are not happy with, please see just one example of a forum talking about it
Kevin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ble-lock-screen-after-marshmallow-update.html
Dexter: Please go to the Settings>> Lock screen and please check in that.
Kevin: Yes I did
Kevin: There is no option to prevent the swipe first in any of the normal spots. Do you not know the product you are supporting?
Dexter: Then there is no option to turn off the double lock.
Kevin: Wow. GREAT support there.
Kevin: How about you inform your powers that be that on the next update, they may want to have an option to turn off that double lock stupidity
Kevin: Why was this change implemented in the first place?
Dexter: I understand your concern. As of now we dont have any update information how to turn off the double lock from Samsung website.
Kevin: It makes no sense. You have added double security with the Pattern and pin lock but If I just change it to SWIPE only that is one screen. It makes no sense from a security stand point
Kevin: I have also tried
Kevin: Turned off Trust Agent "Smart Lock( Google )" and still the same issue. Tried rebooting just to make sure. Same issue. Also if others want to try it's actually under; SETTINGS > LOCK SCREEN AND SECURITY > OTHER SECURITY SETTINGS > TRUST AGENTS
Kevin: Didn't work
Dexter: Sorry we at live dont have chat don't have information on that.
Kevin: Are you going to report this?
Dexter: I will take this as a feedback.
Kevin: Also tried settings, accessibility and turn the directions lock off
Kevin: but it was already off. So I have tried everything I could think of an the suggestions on the forums. But nothing. This is VERY annoying. To the point this small update Samsung made could prevent me from every buying a Samsung Smartphone again
Dexter: I do understand your concern I will I will take this as a feed back and forward it to the concerned department.
Kevin: So, either way, you are obviously not going to be of any help what so ever, as you appear to just read the same HELP forum on Samsung as I did before I chatted when I found nothing. So in essence I just did your job and you did absolutely nothing. Great waste of my time. Thanks have a nice day Dexter
Dexter: I do understand your concern. I(f there would have been any option I would have definitely helped you.
Kevin: You mean if there would have been a thread in your forum that I could read myself and you could have just simply relayed to me
Kevin: Have a nice day.
Dexter: It was nice assisting you. Have a great day ahead.

Bertoni40

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here in Holland after the Marshmallow update. I also spent hours to search for the right answer, but there's no solution so far to solve this annoying issue. I went to my Dutch provider but they didn't know more then I already knew. Contacting Samsung Holland wasn't a success either. Both told me at the end to reset my phone to factory defaults, which I don't want... (no guarantee if that will solve the problem)
I'm afraid we have to wait for an update to fix this....:'(
So, if I find the right solution, I will definitely share this.... Meanwhile, if someone else found the solution, please share this... It will take away a lot of frustrations @many people...

Hang on folks...

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Also having this issue with pattern unlock, no solution I can find.

Why would they change something so fundamental like this, making it clearly worse? Who the hell wants to swipe twice to unlock their phone? I'm very upset with Samsung right now.

The only time you need to swipe, then do your pin, fingerprint, or whatever, is after a system restart.
Calm down.:)
Joe

Joe
Verizon s6, marshmallow

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I am starting to think there is no fix for this., And it's annoying. Using finger print or 3rd party is NOT an option or a solution for me. Hope someone finds something soon. VERY annoying update.

Let me ask you. Does this happen every time you unlock your phone? Or is it just after you restart your phone?
If the latter, I too was annoyed and looked for a solution, but then determined that it's not that big a deal, (unless you shut off your phone every time you lock it)

Joe
Verizon s6, marshmallow

anon(5477192)

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So just to say I did so. I contacted Samsung....

thanks for taking one for the team there. Looks like that's that then.

I did get the smart lock location to work again, deleted all of the original ones I set before the update and refigured them. Now, at least when I am at one of the locations, I just need to swipe.

Last edited:

bernwerlin

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I have the same exact issue. I spent so much time trying to figure out how to disable it to no avail. INFURIATING. Infuriating enough to make an account and post this.

...and I'm on T-Mobile

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The only time you need to swipe, then do your pin, fingerprint, or whatever, is after a system restart.
Calm down.:)
Joe

Joe
Verizon s6, marshmallow

Ummm NO JOE. That is not the case. I am not sure how it's done on Verizon, but this happens anytime the phone is locked and unlocked., not just after a restart. Pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist if that was the case.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask you. Does this happen every time you unlock your phone? Or is it just after you restart your phone?
If the latter, I too was annoyed and looked for a solution, but then determined that it's not that big a deal, (unless you shut off your phone every time you lock it)

Joe
Verizon s6, marshmallow

Again, it's not just on restart. It's all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newuser93939