Droid X rooted

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I would like to know this, too. Because there are some people in this thread saying it is possible...

There are specific tethering apps for root users, but if you follow the directions and this is your first time rooting your phone, just be careful :)

Root is simple enough to follow the directions, but if you slip up and make a mistake somewhere, you're in for some sad panda jumbo.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's the problem with all of those examples (save for the best buy one), you buy your car. You pay your finance for it, you can go ahead and disable that check engine light at the 30,000 because yeah thats not right for them to do. But its your car. If you do skip out on that and fix it, it doesn't cost them anything. If you buy your cheap cpu and decide to overclock it, it doesn't cost the manufacturer anything.

When you take a device that is being provided service, service that is not free to run, then it becomes something else. I agree, we pay for our "unlimited bandwidth" and hell yeah we should be able to tether whether it be USB or wifi is irrelevant. But the fact of the matter is you are paying for a service that you have no say in how it goes. The only say you have is yes or no. When you start breaching your contract you are riding a line of when/will I get caught.

if you don't want to tether, then don't.
if you think it's morally wrong, then don't do it.
I already pay them for UNLIMITED service.
If i want to connect my phone to my laptop, super computer, microwave, dogs @ss.. whatever.. it's my business.
I'm paying them for unlimited service.. how i choose to use that service is up to me.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When you take a device that is being provided service, service that is not free to run, then it becomes something else. I agree, we pay for our "unlimited bandwidth" and hell yeah we should be able to tether whether it be USB or wifi is irrelevant. But the fact of the matter is you are paying for a service that you have no say in how it goes. The only say you have is yes or no. When you start breaching your contract you are riding a line of when/will I get caught.

The overclocking is exactly the same. You are doing something with your own object to make it something that the company usually charges more for. The only difference is the CPU has an up front cost, not a monthly cost that would cost extra per month. That is what makes it a "service". As for the "pressure" it puts on Verizon is besides the point I paid for 5GB/Unlimited. It they can't accept everyone hitting 5GB then they shouldn't be offering it to everyone. So why isn't it exactly like overclocking a CPU.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
There are specific tethering apps for root users, but if you follow the directions and this is your first time rooting your phone, just be careful :)

Root is simple enough to follow the directions, but if you slip up and make a mistake somewhere, you're in for some sad panda jumbo.

What are some of these apps called?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
May work but seems like that's the one that needs the modded kernel. Try barnical tether or one if the others from the market

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes, I think there are too many kids here.

If VZW charges for Wifi hotspot, then gaining it through root for free is stealing and breach of contract. Simple as that. They can use DMCA against you plus a plethora of other things.

If you need the bandwidth, PAY FOR IT.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The overclocking is exactly the same. You are doing something with your own object to make it something that the company usually charges more for. The only difference is the CPU has an up front cost, not a monthly cost that would cost extra per month. That is what makes it a "service". As for the "pressure" it puts on Verizon is besides the point I paid for 5GB/Unlimited. It they can't accept everyone hitting 5GB then they shouldn't be offering it to everyone. So why isn't it exactly like overclocking a CPU.

Both void warranties, one breaches a contract and ends up costing you a crap ton because it screws over the company you are being provided service by, the other could care less what you do with your shiney new processor.

I will go ahead and end this though, as theres no sense in arguing it. I was just voicing my opinion on what I felt and didn't intend to take over this thread. Let's get back on top shall we? :)

So from what you guys above are saying, to un-root is just as easy as using recovery to factory reset your X? Because if so you guys are slowly but surely swaying me over to my first root...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Obtaining access to hidden areas of the file system is not piracy.

Cracking and distribution of stolen software is.

There is no way that root allows means we can now use the built in hotspot app. What root does allow is the ability to install an additional application that creates a bridged connection between the WiFi interface and the Verizon interface. This application also allows the X to connect to the WiFi interface as if it were a WAP. Nothing knew here, as all prior rooted devices have had this ability.

Last edited:

tritongreek

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes, I think there are too many kids here.

If VZW charges for Wifi hotspot, then gaining it through root for free is stealing and breach of contract. Simple as that. They can use DMCA against you plus a plethora of other things.

:p Broadband companies incure almost no cost for their bandwidth because they have partner deals with other broadband companies. They do incure costs by expanding the network but if that network is already established there really is not cost much less $20 a month for only 2 GB of data. The Nexus 1 has free wifi tethering with Froyo and T-mobile has no issue with it. The wireless companies rape us with their charges and now they are looking at raping us even further by going to tiered plans like AT&T. The charges will never end.

Root away!!!

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you want to unroot it's as simple as deleting the super users apk your not dealing with custom bootloaders etc. So if you take your phone in without the su app or any root apps they wont know the difference. Might be a good idea to push the bloatware apps back prior to taking it in so your phone looks completely stock on second thought just do a factory reset should unroot you

But if you've removed teh bloatware apps, how can you install them again? Last time I checked, motorolla hasn't given us any backup apk's no?

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would say pay for tethering as long as we get unlimited phone data plans. Once they go to a tiered system with no unlimited option, then I'd say you're buying bucket data, so tether away on your limited data.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
:p Broadband companies incure almost no cost for their bandwidth because they have partner deals with other broadband companies. They do incure costs by expanding the network but if that network is already established there really is not cost much less $20 a month for only 2 GB of data. The Nexus 1 has free wifi tethering with Froyo and T-mobile has no issue with it. The wireless companies rape us with their charges and now they are looking at raping us even further by going to tiered plans like AT&T. The charges will never end.

Root away!!!

The word is INCUR, and bringing up what other carriers do is irrelevant. VZW charges for the privilege, and using the service without paying for them is stealing and a breach of contract.

The issue is total available bandwidth over a radio signal and a physical tower. There is only so much to be had, and when a few users pillage stolen bandwidth from the area towers, everybody in the area suffers. If you want massive bandwidth, pay for it, so the carrier can add more capacity to the cell network. Jacking "entitled" bandwidth only makes carrier costs go up, which are passed onto all of us, not to mention a slow network.

Kids wonder WHY we are getting tiered data plans and encrypted boot loaders... not much of a mystery if you have 3 brain cells left.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If VZW charges for Wifi hotspot, then gaining it through root for free is stealing
no it's not
Motorola / Verizon, does NOT own the phone or the laptop that i purchased. nor do they own the radio waves between my phone and my laptop.

my laptop talking to my cell phone is not a "service"
the issue becomes beyond that, when I start to use the bandwidth they provide.

however - I am already paying for unlimited bandwidth.
How I use that is up to me and nobody else..
the key phrase here being I am paying for unlimited bandwidth.

we already are.

if my finger touches a link on my phone or my finger clicks a mouse on my laptop. it's still the SAME BANDWIDTH that I'm already paying for.

Last edited:

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Kids wonder WHY we are getting tiered data plans and encrypted boot loaders... not much of a mystery if you have 3 brain cells left.

Because it's more secure (regarding the boot loader), that's about it, you can tether without root, although not wirelessly (I don't think though), easytether or pdanet anyone?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Lol encrypted bootloaders have nothing to do with tethering . No the carrier does want you to pay for tethering I don't blame them an extra 20 bucks for two gigs lol. Never will I pay that nor do I tether I find vzw data speeds to slow. Now we can talk all day about why the bootloader is encrypted but at the end of the day it boils down to Motorola trying to protect blur not blur

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
no it's not
Motorola / Verizon, does NOT own the phone or the laptop that i purchased. nor do they own the radio waves between my phone and my laptop.

my laptop talking to my cell phone is not a "service"
the issue becomes beyond that, when I start to use the bandwidth they provide.

however - I am already paying for unlimited bandwidth.
How I use that is up to me and nobody else..
the key phrase here being I am paying for unlimited bandwidth.

we already are.

if my finger touches a link on my phone or my finger clicks a mouse on my laptop. it's still the SAME BANDWIDTH that I'm already paying for.

You completely missed the point. Read the fine print, unlimited is NOT unlimited.

Nevermind. Turn VZW into ATT. Have fun splitting hairs.