Droid X some recored video WONT play back: ERROR File cannot be displayed or played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it is a combination of sd card and user error. I do recall pushing home button shortly after recording a video or 2. And not being able to open files on win7 has me thinking I never will. I would like to thank all of you who have helped me out. Thanks again

Sorry we couldn't get this working for you. I would try testing your phone with a few additional videos when you can. If you continue to have issues I would contact or take your phone to Verizon and get a replacement for your SD card or phone. Best of luck to you.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Just want to chime in and say I have had this same issue with a rooted DX.

I have had a DX for about 3 months now. It seems pretty random though and I cannot reproduce it. It only started happening maybe a month ago?

It seems that random videos the phone takes are unreadable anywhere. The phone cant open them and the computer can't either. So it seems somehow the file is getting corrupted in the save process.

I would think maybe a bad SD card, but no other files give me any problems.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a new thought on this one. I wonder if it's an issue with the class of SD cards that was being used not being able to handle the amount of data being recorded with the 720p. Just a thought. I never used the SD card that came with my DX cause I had one that I had bought for my BB that I used. Just a thought cause I haven't had the same issues.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a new thought on this one. I wonder if it's an issue with the class of SD cards that was being used not being able to handle the amount of data being recorded with the 720p. Just a thought. I never used the SD card that came with my DX cause I had one that I had bought for my BB that I used. Just a thought cause I haven't had the same issues.

That could be it, if the SD card isn't fast enough it could be corrupting the file when it is trying to save it.

The card in my DX doesn't state a class (#) on it, but it has 16GB and then a (2) beside it. Maybe that means it is a class 2 card?

I will look at the card in my wife's Fascinate and see if I can tell if it is a faster class and try that out.

edit: I looked at some new microSD cards, the one in my DX is definately a class 2 - which appears to be the slowest class. I'm sure this is my problem. I wonder if Verizon or Motorola would do anything about it if I called and complained?

Reactions: Smitty_82

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I've also been wondering if those of you that are having issues are recording in 720p. Has anyone had any issues with a lower setting?

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone with these problems were able to determine the issue and come to a resolution?

Kellis5137

I never really investigated the SD card class issue I posted about above, but I am on a leaked Gingerbread build and have NEVER had this problem since going to Gingerbread.

We went on vacation 2 weeks ago and I probably shot 25+ 720p videos with my phone and none failed. That would have never happened on Froyo. I would say the failure rate for HD video was at least 30% on Froyo.

This makes me assume it is a software issue.

RaysBest

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I am running Gingerbread on a Droid x.

Version 2.3.4 on Verizon. Took me a while to

figure it out, but when making a video in 720P,

If the scene changes from normal (as an indoor scene)

to a very bright scene, the video will freeze up on

playback, at the point where the bright scene is to

be rendered.

If I start at a bright scene and go to a dim interior,

the playback has been normal. It is just going from a normal

or low light area to a brightly lit scene, and the video freezes

up.

Sometimes the entire phone becomes non functional, and I have to

reboot.

Thanks Android Central for the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.