Earphones not working

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Please see a later post

I've never used the earphones that came with the smartphone. I hooked them up, but here nothing.. Is there a way to test the earphones, and if they test ok, what are the settings I need to set up the earphones? And yes they are plugged in. Thanks.

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
They're just a 3.5mm jack so you can try them in pretty much anything.

Plug them into a computer or tablet and see if they work in there. You shouldn't need to set anything up when using headphones on your phone unless you're tweaking something on the equalizer.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Watch your audio volume. Sometimes, "because you don't know better", my phone will set the volume to 0% (or very low) when I plug them in because if it's too loud it will hurt my ears. Because the phone is smarter than you. </sarcasm>

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Earphones not working.

The headphones that came with the smartphone, doesn't work. I think the plug is loose in the jack. I don't have another device to try, or another earphone set to try. Is changing jack in the smartphone easy to do? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Earphones not working.

If you have experience working inside smartphones, it's not difficult. If you don't, it's the easy way to turn a phone into a paperweight. Just opening the phone is. Some wires have to be exactly where they are for the phone to function, and if you put it back together with a wire out of place the phone stops working.

Bring the phone and earphone into a Best Buy, go to the cellphone area, look for or ask for the Samsung rep and ask for assistance. (Verizon usually removes the earphones from the original packaging. They may have substituted an earphone with a 2.5mm plug, instead of the 3.5mm plug it should have.)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Earphones not working.

Good advice. I have a friend bringing me earphones from his iPhone so I can test it. Thanks again.