EVO 4G LTE issues

toiletducky

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is my story. I bought the evo 4g LTE about two days after it came out. I continually had little buggy issues here and there. I've lived with them, updated the software, and right now I'm running meanbean ROM that is updated to the latest built.

What I've wanted to know is if people running stock have had the same issues I've had. I can't really recall the last time I had 4g service. It's always 3g or bouncing back and forth between 3g and 1g service. I try to leave the option on to get 4g but it always ends up dropping signal all together. When the phone first came out people were saying it was a temp issue and to select that it stay CDMA only. I've had to use it like that ever since. I'm not sure if it's because it's rooted and running meanbean, if it's because early production phones had these issues and no longer do, or if it's just a fault in the EVO 4G LTE that everyone has and we're forced to live with it.

I'm wanting to upgrade to the HTC One however I don't want the same issues. I really want to get my phone working as it was advertised/should work. In reality if the reception issue can be fixed I have no reason to run off and get another phone. The EVO 4g LTE has been perfectly fast for everything I've needed. I love the camera and have taken it with me everywhere (even took it to Cuba and used it for my whole trip!) but frankly I'm pretty p!ssed at the quality of reception. I've read where others have had issues getting 4g on it as well and once they switched everything was better. I know sprint has been boosting their signal in my area (Houston) but unfortunately I don't have another phone to test it with.

So have you been having/had these issues? Were you ever able to resolve them? I'm a pilot and on the move a lot so it's hard to find time to hit the store but I'm on the verge of taking the expense and swapping it out once the ONE arrives. Of course I'm a little scared the one would have the same issues. Their build quality is amazing but I need it to work. The constant dropping of signal is making it a real pain.

Thanks for anything you can add.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have 4g in my area yet so I usually keep it on cdma only. When I turn it on though I have occasionally noticed that it doesn't receive any data, (running MeanBean too) I'd recommend asking this on the MeanBean thread at xda, they'll be able to help you much better than I since it's never been an issue and I haven't researched it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm having no issues with mine and I too bought it just after release. My area has just started getting 4g and its slowly spreading. I consistently get 4g in the same areas and it is a pretty good lock when I do. I've always been leery of rooting my phones. I think in the end its more trouble than its worth. By the way what's 1g?? LOL

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine is stock and I've not had a single problem going between 3G, 4G and wifi. I've got the connection optimizer turned on.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I got mine launch day and subsequently went through 4 EVO's and had nothing but problems before finally switching recently. I believe it was EVO #3 that couldn't connect to any network and EVO #2 that couldn't connect to wifi networks. If you really want the "one" I would at least wait until the phone has been out for a while to see what people's early impressions are. HTC was horrible about supporting the EVO and with sense you can tell that the priority is having pretty widgets so people will think sense is a nicer looking more professional os when it is really severely bloated and cripples the phone. Until HTC proves otherwise there's no reason to assume they've suddenly done a 180 and they've got their act together

Sent from my Note 2

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine connects just fine! When you mess with the software these things can happen! But its not the phones problem, its yours!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Got mine at launch. I've had no issues with connecting. My home area doesn't have lte, but I've recently traveled to an area that does and it connected right away and stayed connected. Completely stock.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
People running stock will never be able to correctly comment on the 1x vs. 3g because they think that they are at getting 3g speeds at all times when they are not. I was in Houston for a day a month ago and had a solid 4g signal the entire time I was there. Around my local area I've never had any issues with 4g the entire time I was on MeanBean or now that I'm running Operation Jellybean.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've always been leery of rooting my phones. I think in the end its more trouble than its worth. By the way what's 1g?? LOL

I'd actually argue that point in reverse. My phone has never been more stable since rooting. It is much faster, things run much more smoothly, and battery life smashes stock with root apps like Greenify. Hell if I'd left it stock, my proximity sensor would have been broken almost half the time of owning it since launch day.

1x is the an actual speed we get sometimes while under 3g. Stock Sense just shows 3g even when it is not.

toiletducky

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was able to follow a guide and update my radios. Night and day difference. I'm 4g all over and it's running great

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

tooter123

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have signal issues with this phone or it may be the network. Since they are working on the towers around here.

It just pisses me off when I'm trying to pull something up and it just drops the signal and I have to wait for it to reconnect.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I had issues with the phone losing LTE and going back to 3g when I got mine..but Sprints done a lot of work on the towers around here. as of now all the connectivity complaints ive had have disappeared. I don't lose LTE anymore and generally always have 3g unless I'm in the boonies. have you looked at a coverage map to see what its like where you are?

tooter123

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had issues with the phone losing LTE and going back to 3g when I got mine..but Sprints done a lot of work on the towers around here. as of now all the connectivity complaints ive had have disappeared. I don't lose LTE anymore and generally always have 3g unless I'm in the boonies. have you looked at a coverage map to see what its like where you are?

I've looked at the maps but, it seems to not make any difference where I go it'll lose signal. We were pulling into a parking lot last night and I was seeing what time the Sprint store closed and lost all signal about 5 minutes later it came up with 3g and then minutes later said 4g...

Early this morning I hit the power button to see what time it was and, noticed that home Wi-Fi wasn't even connected about 10 seconds later the Wi-Fi indicator showed up.....Probably going to take this one back and swap it for an S3 or something.....

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you're not alone there. Mine disconnects from Wi-Fi and or mobile data overnight. Happens every night between 11ish-6am if the phone is idle and not plugged into the charger. This has to be HTCs doing.. I assume it's to save battery but there is no setting to turn it off..Strike that, there is. 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep.' This seems to have no effect on the behavior of it though. There's a number of threads documenting this issue. This, coupled with the intermittent menu lag of HTC Sense really really irritates me. If LTE were still an issue for me, I probably would've tried for an S3. I bet most of this could be addressed with a custom rom but I'm still under warranty..so.

mpeg3s

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is my diagnosis.

Not using 4G, so I can't tell you about that here in LA. May try a 4G prepaid later when the cost decreases. I live where towers are far.

Tried reprogramming with a lot of things

1. There is firmware or software settings issue. As the signal should not goto no bars when it's not touched and unmoved.
2. It is also seems like it's the Antenna as it picks up a better signal when not toughed AKA IPHONE touch of death. Anyone tried replacing the cover's antenna?

It's not the networks, it's the phone.

I've seen some illustrations and I'm trying to figure out which is the 3G antenna. May try changing the antenna.

I'm using Verizon prepaid. To me it seems like it's the Antenna as it picks up a better signal when not toughed AKA IPHONE touch of death.

Jason12345678

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly enough two times my proximity censor has failed along with other issues. Either they are using awful sensors or you may be onto something. I'm ready to root my phone in 3 months to squeeze a little bit more life out of my phone.

Repairs thus far: 2 upper boards with proximity sensors, 1 battery, 3 main boards. all under warranty so far....

lungpuncher

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I also do not have 4g yet (thanks again for that sprint since EVERY OTHER CARRIER has it) but when I switch my evo 4g lte to the cdma/lte setting my 3g barely works. My phone also still gets very hot on the back just from basic usage daily. I am very fed up with this phone and want to exchange it myself even though I'm sure sprint will fight tooth and nail with me and say no. Good luck and mine is running stock by the way with the latest minor OTA update just received on 10/02/2013.

Supersilk

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Have an EVO 4G LTE rooted with Meanbean and everything has been fine with 4G service. Am in Houston and the service has steadily improved over time. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I will say that rooting improved everything on the phone and not nearly as scary as it was before I rooted my original EVO 4G. I root these immediately to get rid of bloatware and improve battery and response.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz