Evo 4g Replacement?

Kungfubhuda

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Evo on Craigslist, so my contract is up a bit early. I don't need a new phone (love my Evo), but everyone else on my plan bought new phones already, so I'm basically locked into the contract anyway. I might as well get a new one right?

Is there anything new around the corner that I should wait for? Does anyone have any recommendations? Any good deals out there? The best I've found is an Evo 3D for $100 on Amazon.

I shudder to think about the iPhone, but I suppose I shouldn't rule it out. I've heard it takes much better pictures. My evo takes such horrible pictures that I'm starting to think I have a defective camera.

Thanks for the advice.

Side note: Does anyone else find it insulting that *New* customers get a better deal than *Upgrade* customers?

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Picture wise, my Evo's photos are nice, however the new iPhone 4S will always be better for stills and video. If this is a sale point for you, then just buy a little point-and-shoot. Cheaper than a new phone for sure.

When it comes to the iPhone, to me, I think it's nice and smooth. It does feel really nice when using it and it looks great. The only thing that will keep me from ever getting an iPhone is that all of the apps are on the home screens, and I cannot stand clutter like that. Another thing is that I absolutely need my widgets. I love my widgets!

I'd wait until it gets closer to Christmas time. You'll miss any Black Friday deals, but Sprint might be supporting the new Galaxy Nexus. That'd be the phone I'd get, hands down, right now. It is coming to Verizon for sure, and we all know that Verizon and Sprint use the same radio technology (which is why you roam on Verizon's network). We can only pray!

Otherwise, I'd go for the Evo 3D. It's still competitive with the current phones that are coming out, except it doesn't have an NFC chip. It will be getting the Android 4.0 update early next year, and the 3D photos and videos it captures and displays are just an added feature. If I were you, I'd go to a Sprint store and try out the Evo 3D. See if it's something you'd like. I think the only downside is the battery life, but that's an issue with all smart/super phones.

I'm debating if I ever want to upgrade my Evo. I still love it and the only thing that has caught my eye is the Galaxy Nexus.

Because of what Sprint is doing, and how mixed up they are right now, I'm going to Verizon when my contract is up. It's a little bit more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
IMO the Epic 4g Touch is by far the best phone that Sprint has right now. I upgraded to one from my Evo a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Kungfubhuda

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Good advice guys. I always carry my phone around, I don't like carrying a camera around. So my phone serves as both day to day. So, camera features are definitely appreciated, but not essential. Great tip about black Friday. I forgot that was coming up. I can wait another week to see what happens.

Regarding the Epic Touch, I've heard something about it having some sort of bug when it loses signal. I don't recall the details, but it sounded like a hardware problem, and unfortunately, signal is an issue. Its sad, because I live in Minneapolis, but the towers here aren't as good as you'd think. my house must be at an intersection of towers, because I'm two blocks out of 4g, and regular reception is like 1 bar at best.

Does anyone know which is easiest to unlock free tethering on? I use that semi frequently, and its pretty handy.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Where about are you in Minneapolis? I live up in Blaine, but I drive all over the Twin Cities for work and I get great signal everywhere. In fact, I actually get better signal on the Epic Touch than I ever did with the Evo. Some users have had the Loss of signal problem, but it seems to be a small percentage of them that get it. I haven't once had LOS on mine. If camera is on your priority list, the E4GT has the best camera I've ever used on a phone. I also played around with the EVO 3D and the Photon when I was at the Sprint store, but they didn't really impress me at all.

If you want root, it doesn't get much easier than this.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=133016

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kungfubhuda

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I live in Richfield, so I'm always astonished when I lose signal. Its also pretty ridiculous that the 4G doesn't cover a lot of Richfield. I'm actually at Best Buy's headquarters for work frequently, and find it ironic that there is no 4G reception in the building.

Thanks for the root link, that's definitely something I was looking for. When you root, do you need to unroot for updates? If so, is it difficult? I know that I had some struggles with my Evo on this.

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to unroot for updates. Just wait a few days after the update's release and there should be a new rooted stock ROM for you to flash.

For more information on flashing your own custom ROM, there are video how-to's on YouTube and walkthroughs on almost every forum about android (Here, XDA-Developers, DroidLife, etc)