Evo Purchasing FAQ

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just read all the posts and I don't see this question yet. I am not eligible for any upgrade discounts but have pre-ordered my phone. I was reading on a few other places on the forums people saying you HAVE to sign up for a new 2 year contract. Does that mean that you have to be eligible to get the phone? I would like to not have to do the extra line switch thing if I don't have to. Also if I try the purchase for my significant other trick, Sprint isn't going to ask for 2 new contract when I go to activate it?

I'm ok with paying the full price for the phone if I have to but I just want to make sure I can get it. Some of the other threads are confusing me.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I just read all the posts and I don't see this question yet. I am not eligible for any upgrade discounts but have pre-ordered my phone. I was reading on a few other places on the forums people saying you HAVE to sign up for a new 2 year contract. Does that mean that you have to be eligible to get the phone? I would like to not have to do the extra line switch thing if I don't have to. Also if I try the purchase for my significant other trick, Sprint isn't going to ask for 2 new contract when I go to activate it?

I'm ok with paying the full price for the phone if I have to but I just want to make sure I can get it. Some of the other threads are confusing me.

I know you can preorder for outright purchases at radioshack, not sure about bb though.

zesta#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
4 different reps including 1 from Dan@sprint.com have told me that I don't have to make any changes to my eceeything plus referral plan... I told the rep that I wanted to go from an everything plus individual plan to a shared everything plus plan, and they told me it was completely doable.. The rep sent me her extension and put notes on my account.. If they mess up my plan on June 4th at bestbuy, I can call her to fix it

Dan Hesse also promised no additional charge for the EVO...

jaxdave

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Activation fee waived for Premier members?

I'm gonna pre order at RS and was wondering if I'll have to pay the activation fee. I think it's $18. I heard it's supposed to be waived since I'm a premier member. I don't know if RS will do it or if Sprint will credit it back to me. I searched for the answer and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site

You can buy the phone outright and activate it without signing a new contract.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna pre order at RS and was wondering if I'll have to pay the activation fee. I think it's $18. I heard it's supposed to be waived since I'm a premier member. I don't know if RS will do it or if Sprint will credit it back to me. I searched for the answer and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

The waiving of the activation fee as far as I know, is for online activations and purchases only. If you do get charged one, I have had 100% success rate getting the fee waived by calling Sprint. Wait until you see it on the bill, then call and say RS told you there would be no activation fee. Make sure you have not paid the bill, before you call and get the credit.

Anthony_AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered already but I have a question about the possible June 4th scheduling that Best Buy may execute. I am leaving for Las Vegas early Friday(my B-Day) and I need/want to pick it before I leave. I want to test the 4G capabilities in Vegas and I will driving back home to NM after Vegas(I had a friend reserve the phone for me in CA) so it is pretty important that I pick the phone up that Friday. If BB does choose to move forward with their appointment scheduling, how can I convince them to let me pick the phone up early Friday?

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered already but I have a question about the possible June 4th scheduling that Best Buy may execute. I am leaving for Las Vegas early Friday(my B-Day) and I need/want to pick it before I leave. I want to test the 4G capabilities in Vegas and I will driving back home to NM after Vegas(I had a friend reserve the phone for me in CA) so it is pretty important that I pick the phone up that Friday. If BB does choose to move forward with their appointment scheduling, how can I convince them to let me pick the phone up early Friday?

There is no way any of us can help you with that or answer those questions. Go to Best Buy and speak with a manager.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey My phone is in my dad's name but I pay the bill would he have to be there with me at the store to use my upgrade?

I have successfully upgraded my fianc?s line without her being there. You can possibly get away with him not being there. Pretend like you are him and forgot your ID. Just depends how good of a liar you are. Also being able to verify the account is a must.

epa1775#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My one year upgrade doesn't go in effect until Aug 01, 2010. Is there anyway to upgrade June 04? I'm thinking no but if anyone has had any success then please let me know. The phone I have now, Pearl 8130, isn't even sold on Sprint's website anymore so I'm thinking they've made their money off it at the subsidized price they sold it to me for.

I've been with Sprint for close to 6 years and a premier customer for about 23 months.

What do you think the best way to go about this one is?

Pete

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My one year upgrade doesn't go in effect until Aug 01, 2010. Is there anyway to upgrade June 04? I'm thinking no but if anyone has had any success then please let me know. The phone I have now, Pearl 8130, isn't even sold on Sprint's website anymore so I'm thinking they've made their money off it at the subsidized price they sold it to me for.

I've been with Sprint for close to 6 years and a premier customer for about 23 months.

Pete

You can just buy it outright. RadioShack is selling it for $499. Best Buy hasn't officially announced the outright price but they price match so at the most it will be $499

dahlberg123

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Pete

If you ask nicely they might move your upgrade date, they moved mine up a full month so I could get the Evo @ launch.

Darthstorm528

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
It is not technically allowed for you to buy a phone with a line that is eligible for the discount and then swap it to another line. If you do this and are sending in a MIR you will get denied. It is much easier to pull this trick off if you buy at a thrid party reseller.

My third line is eligible but the person using it won't use it and wanted to try it. I had done it one time before and it worked. My line is not due for the upgrade until November but I really cannot wait. I currently have the 9630 and have crappy coverage so that's where the wifi comes in.

If I was to go into a third party reseller such as Best Buy or Radio Shack, do I need to bring the person using that line with me or not or are there other ways to do this.

I am the account holder BTW.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Items to add to original post

ls3mach - Great original post! I would like to add a few more items if thats ok.

1. You can get your activation fee waived and a 10% discount on monthly charges if you show proof of membership in any credit union. (Sprint rep told me about this.) It can be ATM card, credit card or monthly statement, etc.

2. Most BB stores are "price matching" RS by offering the $20 gift card at the time of purchase just like RS is doing. You have to ask for it or you wont get it. (read in a forum)

3. If you want to put insurance on the EVO - instead of paying the high fees of the phone company, for expensive smartphones you can put a personal articles rider on your home owners insurance to cover the phone for theft, loss, or even water damage. Really anything that happens to it. It only costs me $30 per year. It covers all costs of replacement even accessories. (personal experience)

4. Use promotional code SAVE50 during purchase and receive a $50 invoice credit with each new-line activation. (from Sprint website - Promotions page) Not sure if it works in stores also but worth a try.

5. Recycle your old phone and get up to $50 back (from Sprint website - Promotions page)

6. If you are a business customer you get a $100 service credit when you transfer your eligible corporate-liable mobile phone number from another carrier to Sprint. Just activate a new line of service with a 2-year agreement, and you?ll get your service credit within 3 invoices. (read about in a forum)

How to get your $100 service credit:

1. Transfer your eligible number to Sprint by July 10, 2010.
  2. Within 72 hours of activating your phone, register your number at sprintportcredit.com.

This all come from multiple sources as you can see. Hope it helps. Every dime saved helps even if we only utilize a few of these. I appreciate everyone sharing what they have read.

By the way, I am new to Sprint. What is the legacy SERO plan?

I am tired of reading all of the same damn questions about buying an Evo.

So here it goes:
If you are a Sprint Premier customer you get an upgrade every 12 months. This qualifies you for NEW customer pricing. It is said that it is $150 off, which is technically correct, but it is actually new customer pricing.

Sprint does mail in rebates. 3rd party resellers typically give them instantly. IE Best Buy and Radio Shack give the full discount at the time of purchase.

You CAN buy from Radio Shack or Best Buy even if you are an existing customer. If you are eligible for a full upgrade you will get new customer pricing.

It is not technically allowed for you to buy a phone with a line that is eligible for the discount and then swap it to another line. If you do this and are sending in a MIR you will get denied. It is much easier to pull this trick off if you buy at a thrid party reseller.

$75 off is the standard discount for people who are 1 year into a 2 year agreement, unless that line is Sprint Premier. If you do a $75 off rebate you get $75 off whatever the retail is and do NOT qualify for the MIR or extra instant discounts.

Best Buy and RadioShack are supposed to activate the phone before you are allowed to leave the store. This really effs you if you are trying to swap another lines phone discount. The way I have gotten around this is to tell them it is for a significant other and you are surprising them. If they activate the phone, your S/O will be without a means of communication, it also ruins your surprise. YMMV

This phone is NOT eligible for the legacy SERO plans. As far as I know you do not qualify for the discounts if you are on one of the legacy SERO plans. In other words the "phone swap trick" will not work if you are wanting to keep the legacy SERO plan.

I think I have hit all the key points. I am new to this forum, but it seems most of the people posting questions are new to this type of thing altogether. I have been doing the upgrade curve since my Treo 600 back in 2003. I know the ins and outs of working Sprint and getting maximum rebates and such. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will try and help. If you see something in error let me know.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My third line is eligible but the person using it won't use it and wanted to try it. I had done it one time before and it worked. My line is not due for the upgrade until November but I really cannot wait. I currently have the 9630 and have crappy coverage so that's where the wifi comes in.

If I was to go into a third party reseller such as Best Buy or Radio Shack, do I need to bring the person using that line with me or not or are there other ways to do this.

I am the account holder BTW.

If you are the account holder then no you won't need the other person.

Motoslave

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
On sprint's website it states that for their new Sprint Free Guarantee 30 day return policy:

"Please note that this policy may not reflect the policies of our authorized 3rd-party dealers or retailers."

Does anyone know the policy for Best Buy or Radio Shack offhand?

Thanks

episodicentity

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, here's my dilemma:

I have an old sprint plan (11yrs), that allows me to have unlimited data and the works. However it's not a "Data Package Plan", and that means I can't purchase any smartphone from them or Radio Shack for example. However we've always just added smartphones by calling (888) 603-7981, all lines have smartphones. Do you think it's possible to get myself an EVO and just call (888) 603-7981 and read them the ESN and bang! Get an EVO on my plan?