Fast Initial Battery Drain?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Put this under the list of first world problems I guess. But does anyone else see limited but rapid battery drain immediately after removing the phone from the charger?

I'll take mine off the warp charger and it can drop around 5% in 5-10 minutes. Im not stressing about it really, because the phone always seems to stabilize around 93-95%...and from that point on I get great battery life (anywhere from 6-8 hours SOT). But I was just wondering if this kind of thing is common? Like maybe a byproduct of the warp charging process? Thanks in advance...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That "100%" is the voltage measurement at the battery terminals. Since you can't charge a battery without putting a little more voltage on the terminals than what's coming out of them (like water running downhill - electricity runs from more voltage to less voltage), at the moment the phone says 100%, that's the charger voltage. As soon as you take the charger off, you're back to the battery voltage, which is lower, therefore, less charge. (You shouldn't charge a lithium battery to more than about 95% anyway - if the charger [the chip in the phone - the thing you plug into the wall is just a source of power] goes bad and doesn't stop charging the battery, it an cook the electrolyte out of the battery, rendering it useless. It's rare, but it happens.) For longest lifespan, run the battery between 40% and 95%. (Drawing it down below 40% reduces the lifespan drastically.)

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
That "100%" is the voltage measurement at the battery terminals. Since you can't charge a battery without putting a little more voltage on the terminals than what's coming out of them (like water running downhill - electricity runs from more voltage to less voltage), at the moment the phone says 100%, that's the charger voltage. As soon as you take the charger off, you're back to the battery voltage, which is lower, therefore, less charge. (You shouldn't charge a lithium battery to more than about 95% anyway - if the charger [the chip in the phone - the thing you plug into the wall is just a source of power] goes bad and doesn't stop charging the battery, it an cook the electrolyte out of the battery, rendering it useless. It's rare, but it happens.) For longest lifespan, run the battery between 40% and 95%. (Drawing it down below 40% reduces the lifespan drastically.)

Makes sense thanks for the battery tutorial.

The "below 40%" caveat sounds like you're referring to voltage depression. I thought that wasn't supposed to be an issue with lithium ion batteries? Or am I mixing terminology here?

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

The "below 40%" caveat sounds like you're referring to voltage depression. I thought that wasn't supposed to be an issue with lithium ion batteries? Or am I mixing terminology here?

I agree with the initial part of Rukbat's post, but I'm not sure about the not dropping below 40% part. I don't believe that is still the case with today's battery technology.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

What do you mean by "voltage depression?" That's not a term I've heard before, but are you talking about the voltage sag that happens when you put a load on it and the voltage drops?

In either case, the most common recommendation is 40-80% for Li-ion batteries. They are not a deep cycle battery, nor do they like being held above ~75%. You can find all the testing info here.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87