File transfer missing from my A13 5G?

flycaster1

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
I am trying to transfer photos from my PC to my A13 5G, and have been using this tutorial (https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk...ty/transfer-files-between-computer-and-phone/). However, I am stymied on page 3/8. The phone is USB'd to my PC, but when I swipe down, all I get is "Cable charging (18 min until full)." No where in sight is anything related to "Android system USB for file transfer." I have tried, as best I could (being a noobie to the phone) to find any reference to file transfer, but nothing showed up. Could use some guidance. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the "Cable Charging" a notification, or just a little text at the bottom of the notification panel?

Have you tried other cables? Some cables are for charging only, or the cable might be faulty, thus preventing any data transfer functionality to be detected.

flycaster1

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Is the "Cable Charging" a notification, or just a little text at the bottom of the notification panel?

Have you tried other cables? Some cables are for charging only, or the cable might be faulty, thus preventing any data transfer functionality to be detected.

"Cable charging" is a notification. I think you could be right about not using an appropriate cable that will transfer data. The only one that I had (that would fit the PC and phone) was being used to power the battery in my wireless Logitech mouse...moat likely it could have been too light a cable? But, anything along the tutorial route that would be different than the one I'm following might be helpful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If "Cable charging" is a notification, what happens if you tap the notification? Do you get any USB connection options then?

flycaster1

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
If "Cable charging" is a notification, what happens if you tap the notification? Do you get any USB connection options then?

Nothing other than indicating how charging is progressing happens when tapping "notification." Furthermore, I have also tried three different ports (ports that already had properly functioning USBs,) with same result as with the mouse USB cable. As I do not have a "heftier" USB A to C cable (do have a mess of A to A cables,) would you advise either getting an A to C adapter, or just getting an A to C cable? Thanks.

BTW: One of the tutorial videos I watched had instructed to go to your phone icon and enter something like #*0808# before re-booting. Was this legitimate?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of good USB-A to USB-C cables around, so an adapter isn't necessary. Just stick with known brands like Belkin or Anker.

What tutorial videos are you referring to, and what are they tutorials for?

flycaster1

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Unless you or someone else had fiddled with these buried settings before, you shouldn't have to do those steps in the video to do something basic like transferring files to a PC. It should work out of the box.

Well, as it doesn't work out of the box and/or the tutorials didn't help, I guess we we can be fairly confident that fault lies with the cable. Just ordered one from Amazon.

flycaster1

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Just got a Samsung "official" cable. It works, but not in all usb ports??? No big deal except the first cable I used also now works, also. But, I must also say, that before trying the new cable, I reset Developer (without doing the phone thing) which may have reset things correctly. Anyway, I'm still a happy camper and thanks again everyone for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it's working now! Are you using native USB ports in the PC, or a USB hub? The latter can sometimes cause this kind of problem.

Also, use a can of compressed air to clean out all of the USB ports of your PC, in case any debris has built up in them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another possibility is a problem with the phone's USB port -- either debris there, or possibly a loose connection. If the problem comes back despite cleaning out those ports, then see if jiggling the plug at the phone's USB port intermittently brings back the connection.