Finally!! 6.0 OTA

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for my OTA, on T-Mobile. :(
Yes I know I can sideload it manually but it still doesn't excuse Google and/or T-Mobile for this long of a delay! My old Nexus 5 never was delayed this long for such a major update. In fact my sim-less Nexus 5 updated already...

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have 25 GB of media on my phone including podcasts I've been saving from over a year back. So flashing, sideloading, or resetting my phone is out.

Looks like I will never get 6.0 and have to die on Lollipop.

Mark Ham1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I have 25 GB of media on my phone including podcasts I've been saving from over a year back. So flashing, sideloading, or resetting my phone is out.

Save them to your pc's desktop via usb then flash away. That's what I'm about to do tonight.

wm.cal

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting and I'm on Google Fi! Very surprised. Mine's a GP Nexus 6 that I was using on Verizon, but signed up for Google Fi when they had that one day sign up offer last month. I'm very happy with the service, but no Marshmallow yet, still on LMY48T.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just installed the update on my Nexus 7 WiFi tablet as the ota finally came down for 6.0 waiting on my Nexus 6 from Verizon.....runs smoorh as silk on the Nexus 7

Posted via the Android Central App

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

You can absolutely flash and not lose any data. It's not fall off a log simple like accepting an OTA, but you can flash any of the factory images and not lose data, assuming you do it correctly and not follow Google's directions. There are many many XDA and other posts explaining exactly what to do.

I have a file of exact instructions if you'd like it. You can do this!

Last edited:

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

You can upload them to Google Drive. I have movies, pics, music/ audio for over 4 years, and the data on anything has not degraded at all. Nice to rip my dvd's on a cloud back up to watch if I ever lose power or stuck somewhere, or listen to my media.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
care to post the instructions?

Here's my own notes. If followed, you will not delete any data.

1. DOWNLOAD MOST RECENT 'MINIMAL ADB AND FASTBOOT' PROGRAM FROM XDA. UNINSTALL OLD AND REINSTALL NEW. REBOOT PC.
2. ENSURE USB DEBUGGING IS TURNED ON IN DEVELOPER OPTIONS.
3. DOWNLOAD MOST RECENT GOOGLE USB DRIVER. UPDATE DRIVER AFTER PLUGGING IN PHONE WHILE RUNNING WINDOWS. ENSURE ONE TIME PERMISSION TO DEBUG SCREEN ON PHONE IS ACCEPTED. DISCONNECT PHONE AND TURN OFF PHONE AND THEN REBOOT INTO FASTBOOT
4. CHANGE ALL FILE NAMES FROM DOWNLOAD TO THEIR GENERAL RESPECTIVE ONES BELOW.
5. PUT ALL FILES IN FOLDER THAT CONTAINS THE ADB ETC. EXE FILES
6. RUN MINIMAL ADB AND FASTBOOT AS ADMINISTRATOR
7. PLUG IN PHONE
8. COPY AND PASTE EACH INSTRUCTION AND FULLY ALLOW TO FINISH.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot reboot

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same situation or was. I'm with AT&T. I was stuck with Lollipop 5.1.1 forever while people around me who were even using Cricket as a carrier, got the Marshmallow update. Cricket is part of AT&T but they still gone the OTA update. I got tired of waiting and sideloaded Marshmallow 6.0.
Question: Does bypassing AT&T and loading Google factory image have any known side affects??? I haven't noticed any issues since I've been using MM 6. Now the November patches have come out and I'm not getting the updates via OTA. The people I know that got the OTA to MM 6, already received their November patch.
Why is an unlocked Nexus 6 subject to any carrier?? It wasn't like that before. My old Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM never had this problem even with AT&T.
Thanks

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same situation or was. I'm with AT&T. I was stuck with Lollipop 5.1.1 forever while people around me who were even using Cricket as a carrier, got the Marshmallow update. Cricket is part of AT&T but they still gone the OTA update. I got tired of waiting and sideloaded Marshmallow 6.0.
I'm on Cricket, no update. Amazing that a Nexus device is having to wait so long.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Look I got my Ota laying in my bed while on Twitter so it'll happen at any random time Unfortunately, unless you unlock your bootloader and flash it you're going to have to wait, and I agree it's ridiculous and I'm not going to apologize for it this year.

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52