Finally Rooted...What was I waiting for?!

k-wayne

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to thank gbhil and rufflez in specific-just by reading your guides and posts in different threads I was able to successfully root my phone and flash a 2.1 ROM! Thanks guys and keep up the good work, I love the community here at AC everyone is so helpful. Cheers! :D

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
+1 on the above. I can't believe I waited so long. I could care less about the official 2.1 release now.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I thought I waited long when I rooted early March, but it was good cause I waited until there were 2.1 ROM's with things working, even though I kept going back to 1.5 from the Eris based leaks.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a fairly noobish question that I probably should have asked before I even rooted but just got too excited. Since I'll be switching to the Evo on launch day, my wife is licking her chops to get my Hero and sell her Moment (she really wants the wifi tether for work). Does rooting your phone present any complications when deactivating/reactivating the phone? Or can she switch to the Hero painlessly?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a fairly noobish question that I probably should have asked before I even rooted but just got too excited. Since I'll be switching to the Evo on launch day, my wife is licking her chops to get my Hero and sell her Moment (she really wants the wifi tether for work). Does rooting your phone present any complications when deactivating/reactivating the phone? Or can she switch to the Hero painlessly?

Just did this a week or so ago. The rep i talked to over the phone had already been trained on 2.1 and knew the new layout of the settings screens. She also thought it was hilarious that I didn't try to pretend i wasn't rooted and running a 2.1 ROM. She said most people lie about that part :) Just be sure the ROM you're using when you try has all the Sprint apps, as you may need to edit the phones programming.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I thought I waited long when I rooted early March, but it was good cause I waited until there were 2.1 ROM's with things working, even though I kept going back to 1.5 from the Eris based leaks.

i bought mine the 1st week of february played with it and couldnt hold off any longer. the 2nd week of february i rooted and went with a fresh rom. after a few weeks i hosed the phone up. i went back to stock. that lasted a few days and i rooted again. now im running different ROMS every week. i never did this much when i was running a WinMo phone. droid is so much more fun!

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
not at all. i have an 8gb class2. as long as you have room to put the ROM you can root and flash. and actually you dont even need an SD card you can do it from your PC (Windoze, MAC or Linux) as well. :)

dos_attack

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I rooted 2 days after getting my Hero. then the next day i tried a 2.1 rom. Man what a difference! But i had to go back to 1.5 (performed a backup) because I use the WI-FI tethering for my iPad.
Is there a version of WI-FI tethering that works in 2.1?

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I rooted too and went to the 2.1 Rom with the sprint apps. I am not sure if it is running any faster or more efficient than the 1.5.X... Also I was wanting to know what What the advantages to a rooted Hero are and How easy it will be to go back to the 1.5.x image... When Sprint FINALLY releases there 2.1 upgrade do I have to take the release??

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Advantage of being rooted:

Try whatever ROMs you want
Run root only apps: Cachemate, wifi tether, shootme, adfree
Don't have to take the upgrade as your phone won't notify you (plus, you're going to have to take it in-store)

You can reverse it to unrooted status, but if anything, I would just go back to a 1.5 ROM and stay rooted.

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Advantage of being rooted:

Try whatever ROMs you want
Run root only apps: Cachemate, wifi tether, shootme, adfree
Don't have to take the upgrade as your phone won't notify you (plus, you're going to have to take it in-store)

You can reverse it to unrooted status, but if anything, I would just go back to a 1.5 ROM and stay rooted.

Thanks Rufflez I appreciate your response!! What are your thoughts on the DC 2.08 ROM i was thinking of trying that out as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FergusonMiriam