First Impressions

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree that Bixby is really excellent. As is Google. Together, they make a great team! I am a very recent Bixby fangirl. It does some really cool things. I tell Bixby "driving kids" as I am walking out the door and it turns my bluetooth on, opens spotify, plays music with no profanity and fires up mobile hotspot. Then, the car picks up and plays the music via bluetooth.

And that is just one example. Bixby actually is not what I thought it was. I encourage everyone to really take a Bixby deep-dive before writing it off (like I did). It still may not do anything for you, but I think it's super-helpful (now).

I didn't know it was capable of stringing together several actions like that until I watched an episode of Techisode TV on YouTube. I'm going to try living with Bixby as my primary digital assistant and see how it goes for a few weeks.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does! I have several commands configured that do different things. And that was just one example. That's why I feel so strongly that people should just give Bixby a chance and really learn what it does before just disabling it. It's still new tech and not perfect, but VERY useful.

It should get better as we use it more, too.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Went with the 512 and have to say this is the most complete perfect phone I've ever used. The Note 8 was great as well as the S9+ But a few things kept them from perfection. Note 8 was finger print scanner placement speaker and battery life. S9+ just didn't have an Spen and battery life was ok. Now having 512GB of storage 4Kma battery and 8GB of ram with all the tweaks and improvements to the Spen I can say for me it's a beast of a device at which I can't think of anything else to improve it on. some will say it doesn't have the latest android "letter" but real Note users know that the Samsung experience is years ahead of "stock" android anyways.

gnote2tmo

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Went with the 512 and have to say this is the most complete perfect phone I've ever used. The Note 8 was great as well as the S9+ But a few things kept them from perfection. Note 8 was finger print scanner placement speaker and battery life. S9+ just didn't have an Spen and battery life was ok. Now having 512GB of storage 4Kma battery and 8GB of ram with all the tweaks and improvements to the Spen I can say for me it's a beast of a device at which I can't think of anything else to improve it on. some will say it doesn't have the latest android "letter" but real Note users know that the Samsung experience is years ahead of "stock" android anyways.

This

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Check the sensitivity setting and make sure data is on. It worked well for me, today first day with Bixby setup. I have Google Voice setup as a backup too and that works well.

I had the sensitivity to max and data on, still did not work. Reset sensitivity to normal.Don't make sense to me.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes it does! I have several commands configured that do different things. And that was just one example. That's why I feel so strongly that people should just give Bixby a chance and really learn what it does before just disabling it. It's still new tech and not perfect, but VERY useful.

How exactly do you set something like this up? I didn't even know it could do this and I feel like i'm pretty comfortable with bixby.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
A couple of impressions:

Ocean Blue - Very very subtle. This is NOT the Coral blue you have seen from previous years. If you haven't seen it in person, its a very very dark blue (looks almost black or dark grey in certain light). So if you are worried about having a super flashy blue phone, stop worrying.

Bixby 2.0 - Way better. Wayyyyyy better. Might actually try to use it now.

Dex - Dex mode is basically now what it should have been to begin with. All you gotta do now is plug in an USB-C to HDMI cable and you are good to go. It works better with keyboard and mouse but if you don't have it you can still use Dex with the phone keyboard and phone trackpad. Also, and this is huge - you can STILL USE THE PHONE *WHILE* you are using Dex as well - no lag - no hiccups -, its as if you are running two seperate devices. Effing unreal man....Also this is the snappiest version of Dex I've used yet. If improvements like this with Dex continue, I'm all in with it.

I dont want to sound like a fanboy, but I'm just gonna say it - this is the Android experience I have been waiting to have since the first days of using Gingerbread back in the O.G. Android days.

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
How exactly do you set something like this up? I didn't even know it could do this and I feel like i'm pretty comfortable with bixby.
I don't know what is going on, but my replies aren't working. Press & hold the Bixby button and say "quick command."
In there you can add commands.

I tried to attach an image of my "driving kids" command.

b2f40914d3376185ef0786e4ddfc2282.jpg

13greencoyote

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
On your new Note, download Samsung Smart Switch Mobile from the Google Play Store. Open the app and agree to Terms of Service. On the next screen, select "USB Cable." It'll prompt you to connect the USB cable between your Note and iPhone (using the USB adapter in the box), and after that, it will prompt you to select which information you want to transfer. Then, just sit back and watch the magic happen ;)

thank you will do this once I get home

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Best way I can describe it is everything that the Note 8 is and more. If you like the note 8 but felt it was missing something it's been put in the note 9. They changed the things that could stand to be changed and kept the things that worked. Very suitable upgrade.

nettech207

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I still haven't put threw a full day yet but so far this thing is nice and fast face recantation works great.Setup was probably the fastest I've done yet in all the note series. I don;t like to install backups from previous phones like to start fresh on my new phones

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
So I got to mess with the camera a little bit more. To me the photos are much sharper than my Note 8. It handles back-lighting better (so far). Live Focus is still the same as the Note 8. Scene optimizer doesn't seem to make much of a difference but I only took a hand full of daylight shots (of plants). What concerns me is that the photos tend to be a bit on the warm side.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
There are things I love and a few things I do not. One of them is I prefer to use Stock everything (except the keyboard), so like in the Samsung Messages app, they improved it but removed the option of having the background in your messages. Sort of bothered me when I was setting the phone up yesterday.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick