first time playing with this, confused, terrified

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Well, I see there are plenty of resources on here (and even more if I ask Google) about roms, roots, and unlocking. Lots on Youtube too. But I feel like you have to really browse through tons of pages of people asking specific questions, further discussion, etc., to the point that I don't really know where the simplest step-by-step instructions for getting Jelly Bean are.

My Galaxy Nexus is basically set up exactly how I want it in terms of where my home screen icons and widgets are, what I'm logged into, how those apps are configured, etc.

Keeping in mind that I just realized this morning that rooting and unlocking aren't the same thing (and still don't quite follow the distinction), what's the best way to get to Jelly Bean without having to re-login to all my apps, set up my icons and widgets all over again, and that type of thing? Youtube videos are what helps me the most rather than reading through technical instructions. Only things I've found on Youtube for this are people saying that what they're doing will result in your data/settings being lost. I'm willing to wait for Verizon if I have to deal with all that setup again.

Thanks,

Steve

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You should (and by should, I mean must) read my Don't Panic guide and pretty much every sticky out there. There are no shortcuts to doing this stuff; those that exist leave you at great peril and risk for the future.

However, very briefly, if you use a custom launcher, you can save your settings to the sdcard to restore at a later date. Since you'll need to unlock your bootloader, that and everything else in your sdcard folder will be erased. So back it up.

Still, please read my Don't Panic guide (it's written exactly for these situations, hence the name :p).

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I've actually followed that link to your guide a few times. I'm not sure why I'm still not getting it. Probably not enough pictures/videos. :) What can I say? Maybe I'm hopeless.

Custom launcher? Don't think I've come across that, sorry.

SD Card? I was led to believe the Galaxy Nexus does not have one. Wikipedia seems to agree with that: Galaxy Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . So, I have gotten further confused now. lol

I keep bouncing between "I'll just wait for Verizon" and "It can't be that hard." I don't know why there are so many people that get it, but it just leaves me frustrated each time I try to read about it.

Thanks for attempting to help me, in any case.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I've actually followed that link to your guide a few times. I'm not sure why I'm still not getting it. Probably not enough pictures/videos. :) What can I say? Maybe I'm hopeless.

Custom launcher? Don't think I've come across that, sorry.

SD Card? I was led to believe the Galaxy Nexus does not have one. Wikipedia seems to agree with that: Galaxy Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . So, I have gotten further confused now. lol

I keep bouncing between "I'll just wait for Verizon" and "It can't be that hard." I don't know why there are so many people that get it, but it just leaves me frustrated each time I try to read about it.

Thanks for attempting to help me, in any case.

The unlock/root guide has pictures :p.

We have an sdcard--it's just not external. It's a folder labeled "sdcard." It's where everything saves, more or less.

Custom launcher...you know that circle thing with dots in it? On your home screen? It "launches" your apps and widgets. That's the launcher. You can replace that with a custom one from the play store, notably Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Youtube videos are what helps me the most rather than reading through technical instructions.

Youtube videos are a great way to see what is going on when you do this stuff, but they wont really help explain it. Trust me, reading and learning is the best way to be able to root and have control since you'll know everything about what you're doing. As D said, read the stickies and stuff and try to figure out WHY you are doing what they tell you to do. Once you know the why, the how becomes much easier.

Also, since some of the stuff is a bit steep technically, if you don't understand something post up a question. Plenty of people here are so knowledgeable it almost hurts. You'll get to the bottom of it.

Keeping in mind that I just realized this morning that rooting and unlocking aren't the same thing (and still don't quite follow the distinction)

The don't panic guide has a pretty good explanation. But to further it, think of your phone as a house. Stock, the house is locked and you can only decorate the outside. When you unlock the bootloader, it's like unlocking the front door. It gives you access to go inside. However, without root access (or to use a rough analogy, administrator access) it would be like me following you around said house not letting you change anything. With root access, you now have the ability to do whatever you want to the inside of the house as well (including burning it down if you're not careful). This is a rough explanation, but covers the general principle.

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks AppleBonker. I think your statement that it is "a bit steep technically" is probably right on. I originally started looking into this when folks were saying there's no reason to wait for Verizon's update and that it was simple to get to Jelly Bean yourself. Since I have tinkered a lot with Windows machines, done Visual Basic programming, and worked with SQL, I figured I'd have some relevant technical skills to figure this out if it's as easy as folks are saying. But I have not found anything that's as easy as getting an update from the carrier (that doesn't wipe out my settings), at least not in terms I understand.

I'd be thrilled to find a Youtube video that just shows me everything to do and that assures me I won't lose my settings, and move on to really understanding it over time. I learn through watching and doing more than studying sometimes. Learned PC stuff through trial and error, which is great when you have an old computer to mess with while your primary computer stays the way you want it. Can't do that with just one phone.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You seem to be one of those people who over complicates things in your mind and makes yourself afraid.

It really isn't difficult, and once you find the method best suited for your thinking, you will realize how easy it was and your fear was unjustified.

I used this write up and I was unlocked and rooted within 20 minutes.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

At the time it was written, it was the simplest, best explained method.
Now of course there are easier "point and click" methods.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be one of those people who over complicates things in your mind and makes yourself afraid.

It really isn't difficult, and once you find the method best suited for your thinking, you will realize how easy it was and your fear was unjustified.

I used this write up and I was unlocked and rooted within 20 minutes.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

At the time it was written, it was the simplest, best explained method.
Now of course there are easier "point and click" methods.

Lot of truth in that statement.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think your statement that it is "a bit steep technically" is probably right on. I originally started looking into this when folks were saying there's no reason to wait for Verizon's update and that it was simple to get to Jelly Bean yourself. Since I have tinkered a lot with Windows machines, done Visual Basic programming, and worked with SQL, I figured I'd have some relevant technical skills to figure this out if it's as easy as folks are saying. But I have not found anything that's as easy as getting an update from the carrier (that doesn't wipe out my settings), at least not in terms I understand.

Given your abilities listed here, it's not as steep as you'd think. It's steeper for people who have no idea how a computer works or what code/the command line is.

I'd be thrilled to find a Youtube video that just shows me everything to do and that assures me I won't lose my settings, and move on to really understanding it over time.

Think of it kind of like formatting your hard drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows from scratch. The settings wont be preserved. However, there is software for the phone (custom launchers mentioned above - personally I use Apex, but plenty like Nova as well - find them in the Play Store) where you can setup your homescreen/app tray/dock/etc and save the configuration. Move it to your PC for safe storage and when you unlock/root/install custom rom transfer that config back and restore it. Pretty painless.

For any of us that flash roms regularly, we've become proficient in this. Every time we do a clean wipe and flash a new rom, all of our settings are gone. Using Titanium Backup (Play Store) and Apex launcher, I can have my phone reconfigured (and all my apps installed) exactly how I want it in less than 20 minutes. This includes application settings.

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
So this Titanium Backup would let me save my current settings so that I can get the phone back to how I want it once I get Jelly Bean installed?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So this Titanium Backup would let me save my current settings so that I can get the phone back to how I want it once I get Jelly Bean installed?

Not the first time. tibu requires root either to root you need to unlock either to unlock you need to format everything. Good news is u only have to do this once and from there on out tibu will take care of ya. I know its a pain but its totally worth it. Jb is that good :)

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.... I dunno. I hate having to set up Google Authenticator all over again. Always have to rescan it into both my phone and tablet so they're both in sync. Then there's Facebook, my main google account and my school gmail account. And all my folders/groupings on the home screen. What a PITA! Why is it that Google/Samsung/Verizon can send an update without losing settings but this process just can't get there? Will it ever improve?

I'm back to thinking it's worth waiting just a bit longer. But thanks all for being informative.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.... I dunno. I hate having to set up Google Authenticator all over again. Always have to rescan it into both my phone and tablet so they're both in sync. Then there's Facebook, my main google account and my school gmail account. And all my folders/groupings on the home screen. What a PITA! Why is it that Google/Samsung/Verizon can send an update without losing settings but this process just can't get there? Will it ever improve?

I'm back to thinking it's worth waiting just a bit longer. But thanks all for being informative.

Nova can do your home screens
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&token=4p-BSp4_

Rooting also gets ya free teathering
First to updates
Google now (very cool)
Full system backups if you ever had to reset or replace your phone you can pick up where you left off
And customizations galore.

The decision is yours. But if you take your sunday and root I promise you will never look back

Reactions: draftpeppin

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This Nova thing....does it back up my screens how I have them now, or would I have to recreate it in Nova and then back it up?

Recreate and backup. I know its a lot of work but its totally worth it especially for the full image backup

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine says he's got some GUI option to do all of this, including a backup. I'm very skeptical now after seeing the consensus here seems to be that I can't backup what I've got. I guess I'll hear him out when he comes over but I'm not sure I'm going to let him touch my phone. lol.

Really all I want is Google Now. But I waited months to move from my crummy Droid X to the Nexus. I can probably wait a little longer for an official update so I don't ruin my day when I lose something, do it wrong, or get stuck being up at 3 AM trying to put everything back the way I like it.

Well, I posted this hoping for an "easy" answer. I do thank you all for your time!

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you try a different launcher and if you don't like it you can always switch back to your current setup by using the stock launcher again. No wiping or data loss. It would be a safe place to start.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause