AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
That's the only thing that worries me with the foldables one drop could change the whole hinge experience and repairs
2 months after getting the flip 4 on launch day, I dropped the damn thing. It hit on ceramic tiled floor smack dab on the hinge. Just great! Top half went dead and now does not open fully. I screamed in horror not because I dropped it but the fact that I just broke an 1500$device. Nope didn't get damage protection as ive nevef needed it ever. One frikkin drop on the sweet spot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
2 months after getting the flip 4 on launch day, I dropped the damn thing. It hit on ceramic tiled floor smack dab on the hinge. Just great! Top half went dead and now does not open fully. I screamed in horror not because I dropped it but the fact that I just broke an 1500$device. Nope didn't get damage protection as ive nevef needed it ever. One frikkin drop on the sweet spot.
To be fair, a drop onto ceramic tile will probably kill any phone.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, a drop onto ceramic tile will probably kill any phone.
Agree, any phone will break when dropped when hit in the right spot. They are made out of glass, there is no such thing of unbreakable glass.

Kind of funny I think... Back in the day phones had plastic backs and didn't break very easily unless you hit the glass screen then it was highly likely to break. So what's the industry do, they make the whole phone out of glass to make it better looking. End result, everyone puts them in a plastic case. It definitely created a money making market for cases

Reactions: J Dubbs and ironass

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I heard back from Samsung. They denied the claim. Also was told to fix the hinge you have to replace the screen. They said the hinge is a common problem and Samsung has denied them which is what they said would happen.

The reports you see online about Samsung not standing behind the screens and hinges appear to me true. My journey with the folks is ending. To much money to spend on a delicate screen.

• Sad
Reactions: werkx and J Dubbs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I heard back from Samsung. They denied the claim. Also was told to fix the hinge you have to replace the screen. They said the hinge is a common problem and Samsung has denied them which is what they said would happen.

The reports you see online about Samsung not standing behind the screens and hinges appear to me true. My journey with the folks is ending. To much money to spend on a delicate screen.
What they charge for screen replacement?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It is expensive, be the only device I get insurance
I have it, but that's $249 deductible. This shouldn't be a insurance deal. Like the guy said your phone is in pristine condition so it wasn't abused.

I just ordered a iPhone 14 Max pro. I've been pondering trying it for a couple years.. Samsung just gave me a reason to try it. I have 30 days to use it and I'll go from there. For what I use a phone for I think it will be ok. I'll use it hard for a couple weeks and see how it goes. I know I'll be getting the you'll regret it posts, but I'll never know unless I try it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have it, but that's $249 deductible. This shouldn't be a insurance deal. Like the guy said your phone is in pristine condition so it wasn't abused.

I just ordered a iPhone 14 Max pro. I've been pondering trying it for a couple years.. Samsung just gave me a reason to try it. I have 30 days to use it and I'll go from there. For what I use a phone for I think it will be ok. I'll use it hard for a couple weeks and see how it goes. I know I'll be getting the you'll regret it posts, but I'll never know unless I try it.
Iphone 14 pro max is definitely a very good phone, I use one myself.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just dropped my fold 4 off at ubreakifix for repair...maybe. It needs the normal 6 month screen protector replacement and it does not open all the way.

On the screen protector they said Samsung stopped replacing them, so I would probably have to pay for that which is $20. Normally I would be ok with that, but when they can't even get 6 months before peeling I think Samsung should replace them under warranty period at least. So basically Samsung knows the screen protectors won't last and don't want to stand behind them during the warranty.

The not opening all the way is more concerning. First I'm going to say I've been using my S23U for awhile, I went to switch to the fold and it wasn't opening correctly, so it wasn't even being used. They said to expect Samsung to deny the warranty on it as in the past Samsung says the not opening all the way is normal break in and not covered. Now granted, it opens most the way, but there's an indent, bend at the center of screen more then normal making the fold mark more noticable.

So we'll see how Samsung responds to their new, better improved hinge. For Samsung to say it's normal for the phone not to open all the way is ridiculous at best. Their response will dictate how I move on with the folding phones. I don't have a issue replacing screen protectors as something that sticks to the screen that bends over and over is expected to fail over time. It's a weak point of the folding phones that who knows how to fix. Just think within warranty they should just replace it once, it's a $2,000 phone after all.

The hinge different story. They bragged that it's a better hinge, then stand behind it. Don't say that's normal, because it's not. It could be that dust got in the hinge area and caused it, but that would have to be a lot of dust. If it is dust, then paying $2,000 for a phone that can do that by sitting in a drawer is not something I'm willing to continue my journey on folding phones with.

Well, we'll see how Samsung handles this and go from there. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.
Mine wouldn't open completely and ubreakifix fixed it for no charge.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine wouldn't open completely and ubreakifix fixed it for no charge.

They sent the claim in to Samsung and Samsung denied it.

I've been debating trying one for a couple years and Samsung gave me the push. Over the last few years Samsung has been making going to iphone easier decision. They have been following apples ways such as taking the SD card away, taking the 3.5 audio jack away right at the same time they released their ear buds. I know not everyone wants those things, I get that. The thing is that those things and others separated Samsung from iphone. When you start taking those away the reasons to stay with Samsung start going away.

I like the iphone, I like the apple watch more then Samsung's watch. The iphone does everything I do on a phone and there's some things I think better. I still have my S23U, I'm not getting rid of that. For me I now have choices. I loved the fold, I still like the fold, but out of the 3 I've had one hinge replaced on fold 2 under warranty, fold 3 just the screen protector issues, and the fold 4 another hinge issue and this time Samsung didn't stand behind it. As much as I like the fold for me its just too risky now for me. These aren't cheap phones and hearing the repair center state there's a lot of hinge issues and they knew it wasn't going to get covered under warranty from past experiences say a lot imo. I'm not leaving Samsung all together, I'm just leaving the fold, cutting my losses.

Reactions: J Dubbs

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Number 2 iphone coming for wife. It'll be a little process but eventually all 10 cell phones on my account which currently is Samsung will be iphone or something besides Samsung. There will be a fold 4 coming up for sale and a S23U.

It's the iphone perfect, no. Neither is Samsung. Samsung loses when it comes to customer service. I'm definitely leaving the fold phones for now. I'll stick around and help when I can. I've been seen Samsung since note 2.

I will tell you the forum support for Android is a lot better. The apple forums are dead, at least at it is in Iforum. We are like a family here, crickets over there. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Number 2 iphone coming for wife. It'll be a little process but eventually all 10 cell phones on my account which currently is Samsung will be iphone or something besides Samsung. There will be a fold 4 coming up for sale and a S23U.

It's the iphone perfect, no. Neither is Samsung. Samsung loses when it comes to customer service. I'm definitely leaving the fold phones for now. I'll stick around and help when I can. I've been seen Samsung since note 2.

I will tell you the forum support for Android is a lot better. The apple forums are dead, at least at it is in Iforum. We are like a family here, crickets over there. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot.
Stick around definitely
Need help with iPhone can PM me or if i do

Reactions: Laura Knotek

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Where will you be selling your 23 ultra at?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

You have to do what you have to do. And if you love the phone, that is all that matters! You're right, no phone is perfect, but if they meet your needs then that's pretty good. I agree that Samsung's customer service is something to be desired, and it is interesting that the Apple forms aren't very active. I kind of thought the opposite would be the case. We are like a family here, though!

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
it does not open all the way.

The not opening all the way is more concerning. First I'm going to say I've been using my S23U for awhile, I went to switch to the fold and it wasn't opening correctly, so it wasn't even being used. They said to expect Samsung to deny the warranty on it as in the past Samsung says the not opening all the way is normal break in and not covered. Now granted, it opens most the way, but there's an indent, bend at the center of screen more then normal making the fold mark more noticable.

The hinge different story. They bragged that it's a better hinge, then stand behind it. Don't say that's normal, because it's not. It could be that dust got in the hinge area and caused it, but that would have to be a lot of dust. If it is dust, then paying $2,000 for a phone that can do that by sitting in a drawer is not something I'm willing to continue my journey on folding phones with.

Well, we'll see how Samsung handles this and go from there. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

I just got my fold 4 back from Best Buy (select stores are authorized samsung repair dealers) as I had the issue of my Fold 4 not opening flat suddenly. It caused the crease to be very visible and was v shaped when opened.

I didn't want a replacement device so called Best Buy to see if they could the reapir. they said yes and to drop it off. They checked my device in the system, and it was still covered by warranty. My Fold 4 was purchased directly from Samsung and not Best Buy. Anyway, they needed to order the hinge aka back part of device (all considered one piece), which took about 3 days to come in. The repair itself probably took them several hours. With the device not folding flat it took a little more time to get the back off.

ISSUE: apparently not ALL of the clear protective film along the edges of the shiny parts of the device specifically pieces (2 very thin film pieces) nearest the hinge itself worked there way into the hinge keeping it from opening.

I had my device since launch and never noticed these film pieces.

WARNING: I advise everyone with a Fold 4 even now to CAREFULLY look around EVERY EDGE for the protective film. I had no idea it was on some of the slimmest edges had the repair tech not told me that if it's shiny, there is protective film on it! He was right as I just pulled it off on my new backing with the new hinge.

Chances are you have clear protective film lodged in the hinge causing the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs