For your safety, please enter your PIN

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm set up to use my fingerprint to unlock my ohone after it's been in standby. Since the upgrade to 8.0, sometimes, if I turn the screen on after a few hours in standby, it will demand that I use my PIN instead. Before the upgrade, I would run into this, but it would say, "Unable. To use fingerprint. Please enter PIN". Is this the same problem with a new error message, or some new security "feature"?

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are 2 timeouts - screen timeout and lockscreen timeout. If the screen times out, the fingerprint will unlock it. If the lockscreen times out you have to enter the PIN (or password or pattern, whichever you chose).

Is it new? How far do you want to go back? If you go back far enough, the fingerprint may have unlocked the lockscreen, who remembers? But on turn on or restart, and on lockscreen timeout, you have to enter the PIN.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So is this lock screen time out something new in Oreo? I haven't updated to it (so far, at least), and this would be one more reason I wouldn't want it. Fingerprint unlock is there for a reason and timing out would render that function half useless.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
So is this lock screen time out something new in Oreo? I haven't updated to it (so far, at least), and this would be one more reason I wouldn't want it. Fingerprint unlock is there for a reason and timing out would render that function half useless.
Yes, indeed. I hope there's a way to disable this security "feature" and just allow us to use fingerprint unlock until the next reboot.