Former Blackberry user - thoughts and questions on the Droid (Long!)

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am sure there are a lot of former Blackberry users that have taken the Droid plunge - so I wanted to start a thread that details my experience and hopefully provide a transition for those of us that are leaving the world of Blackberry and the BES - (5 years I think -67??,72??,Curve 8330,Storm,Strorm2) Dont get me wrong, the BES was awesome even though it could be a pain in the a$$ to configure and maintain at times.

My plan is to try the X for a month and then switch to the Fascinate and then decide. Luckily I am on a corporate plan so our 30 return policy is nice since they only charge the account after 30 days. The original plan was to do the X, Fascinate and then go back to the storm until the end of the year when big red announces the iphone.. However, after spending 2 days with a friends I phone and now a week with the X - I am going to stay with android :)

My overall impressions from a former crackberry addict - I now prefer the X to the storm2. Took about 2 days for me to figure that out! I thought surepress would be the only touchscreen style I liked.. turned out I was wrong.

First off - I decided to explore other options because I thought Blackberry is / will always be one step behind - turns out I was right for some of it. Sure the Storm3 is around the corner and then there is the Storm2 refresh that will run OS6 and who knows what LTE will bring - but from what I have seen with Droid - it will be the place to be if email is not your extreme focus. Also, the screen is soooo nice on the Droid X compared to the Storm.

Web browsing-
Android - hands down. Another plus - from being on the BES - was if the BES had issues or our network at the office was down, web browsing didnt happen because the web was always redirected though the BES

User interface -
Android. Widgets and the fact that it is incredibly easy to customize give the edge to the Droid. Yes there are a ton of themes for BB - but the problem is finding the one you like the best. I would say the hidden today features on the BB were a nice touch - but from what I have seen there are widgets that will do the same thing. The keyboard options are nice, and swype may actually turn out to be my favorite - sure type on the storm was nice, but I think swype has more promise.

My initial thoughts - The phone rocks!!

Apps-
Droid. I have found several of my usual websites have apps on droid that blackberry does not have (ESPN radio, Gasbuddy..) Although - BBM was awesome..

Email-
Blackberry does email better - period. However, it was fairly easy to set up our exchange server and contacts / calendar came over just fine. But - being on a BES was light years ahead of activesync push and if email is your absolute lifeline - then Blackberry on a BES cant be beat. I like the fact that I could search the corporate desktop for any email as long as it was on the server and the fact that I could find files on the network and transfer them the storm - the downside was the storm had a hell of a time displaying most of them. Other email such as our local isp - Blackberry was just better - but thats to be expected since I believe they have patents and a whole server farm dedicated to email - aka the Blackberry Tax :)

PDF's/Word Docs...
Droid. If you have ever tried to look at a PDF on the storm, you know what I mean. slow and hard to zoom.

Calendar-
Toss up - however, the stock Blackberry calender is much better than the droid. I am exploring other options.

Task Management -
Blackberry. The task manager was not limited to 6 programs and you could actually kill / exit most programs - Except for Visual voice mail :)

OS Software-
Droid - BB OS 5 had many issues. Reboots, call craziness - ever tried to answer a call with the headset on while listening to the media player? Speaking of reboots - 23 seconds on the droid - 2-4 minutes on the Blackberry!! and don't forget the battery pulls.

Media Player -
Toss up - slight edge to Droid. So far the droid has played everything I have thrown at it (audio and video) - the blackberry did as well for the most part, but I like the blackberry interface on the music portion of the media player was better as it was easier to sort, and play specific songs with out creating a playlist. For example, I could search van halen and it would show all VH songs and play just those. When I cleared the search it went back to all songs.

Customizing the Phone (Things like sounds, profiles and other non visual impacts)
Blackberry - It was very easy to create a custom profile with different tones / alerts and it was a 1 button click to change the profile. Haven't figured that our yet on the droid. Also, the bedside mode of the storm rocked with the clock. The night thing that pops up when you put the droid in its cradle is not very night time friendly. Also the fact that the icons would show you if you had new email and or text messages and the number - Droid kind of does that, but not on all icons.

Battery Life -
Toss up - although I will say this, the Droid battery lasts as long as the storm battery ( I usually can make it from 7am to 7pm before I need a charge) and I have been beating the heck out of the droid - so I would imagine that once I use the droid normally like I did the storm, the battery will

Other things -
Being on a BES the phone was completely backed up with me doing anything. I could wipe the phone, put the latest OS on and have the phone completely restored in about 20 minutes - and the bulk of that was waiting

Issues that I have noticed -
For the most part the phone has been solid. The biggest issue I have noticed is that a notification does not always show up when I recieve an activesync email. Texts are just fine, but not corporate emails. Other than that, its been good. No crashes and only one reboot just becuase I wanted to see how you do it!

Next for me - root it and then maybe play around with a custom rom!

Questions- I have done a lot of searching and there is so much information out there its almost information overload.

What is the preferred media player? Stock? I really like the blackberry and the music search - play the results feature

What is a preferred calendar? I was looking at the pure calendar but am not sure.

If one roots, can an update be applied - ie - whenever 2.2 gets released, will it need to be re-rooted?

What happens if you do a custom rom and then need to send the phone back - can you go back to stock?

Profiles? Can they be created and quickly changed to like the Blackberry?

Blackberry tones - you know the tone you came to love for emails and texts.. how can you get those on Droid?

Feel free to share your thoughts, tips and ideas - we former Blackberry uses can speak "a common language" to benefit all droid users and hopefully bring some of those things we loved about crackberry over to Droid.

Jim
ps.. sorry for the long first post - but I am fired up about the droid!

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My plan is to try the X for a month and then switch to the Fascinate and then decide. Luckily I am on a corporate plan so our 30 return policy is nice since they only charge the account after 30 days.
if you switch to the fascinate, I don't know that you can switch back. Typical vzw policy is to give you 30 days on your new phone. If you don't like it, you can switch. But only once during a 2 year contact. Your corp policy may well be different, just be sure before you give up the X!

Don't have time to read evensong before work, but here are my post bb thoughts (dx is my first android phone too!) Don't bother annoying over memory, and don't bother pulling the battery. Android handles memory just fine, and unlike a bb the power button actually shuts the phone off. No need for batt pulls.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I came from Storm2 and man do I feel like an idiot for not going android from the start. i do miss the BB email. It is a better experience but not something that could keep me on it.

I was so tired of hearing about great apps coming to iphone and android then reading about how a new home mortgage app was coming out for blackberry.

Plus I heard OS6 isnt coming to the storm2 because not even a year later the phone is too underpowered. Verizon stopped testing 6 on the storm2 because of it.

I bought a used droid1 just to try the OS out b4 I upgraded to another phone and i feel in love with it. Bought the X and that was it. Im sticking with android. Even if iphone comes to verizon I wont leave.

I phone was good when it came out but android and caught up and surpassed it. All iphone does now is come out with a few new tricks. There is no choice. Its one phone or nothing. I wont be held down by the cold controlling hand of Jobs.

Enjoy Android!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Jimt, I came from a Storm, and outside of corporate sync (which I didn't need to use) my experience is more or less identical to yours. I will say that many of the things can be further skewed in favor of the Droid X with market apps that replace stock items, but after my first couple days of use I was exactly where you are at in terms of perception. Happily, it only gets better.

wamphryi

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Former Storm user myself:

For the bb tones...look in the ringtone area of the forums. I think there was a thread there where someone had posted a link to dl the tones.

For corporate emails....get touchdown. Yes it is a little expensive for a mobile app....it has worked BETTER then my Blackberry for syncing with my company.

Profiles....I have been looking around for something like that as well. After reading many posts on apps...I have found that profiles or audio manager are ones I may try. May also try tasker to do more things with.

Battery - I just came back from my local VZ store with an extended battery ready to charge up tonight.

One of my big questions is with Swype still. I love it, but it never recognizes spaces for me. If I want to type out a sentence I have to lift my finger between each word. Is this normal? Is there a setting I have missed? Not sure....but still love it....

wamphryi

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ohh and I love that the only time I have had to reboot my phone was because I ran the battery out (well thats almost a daily occurrance)....and not having to because of a lousy OS that cant manage memory (ie storm rebooting 2-4 times a day).

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
There is an app called profiles that some one mentioned earlier in the post. It allows you to set auto time profiles. Like when you are at work and home it even lets you pick the certain days that you want said profiles to be activated.
You can put as many widjets on yours screen to instant access to all your profiles.

grayzweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Former Storm2 user here too.(I thought I would Never leave BB) There are soooo many BB converts here.

One thing I miss are notifications! The DX is not as good at notifications. I found "Missed Call" which helps though.

I also missed the Big Clock when charging, UNTIL..... I found "Bedside Mode" in the Market. even better :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201