Foxfi Bluetooth apps won't connect

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Been experimenting with tethering my Nexus 7 to my Razr MAXX via Bluetooth using PDANet Tablet on the Nexus and PDANet/Foxfi on the phone. While it works for general browsing, I noticed some apps can't connect (Reddit client BaconReader for example, also HBO GO sometimes among a couple others ) at all claiming there is no network available.

Is there a reason for this, or a fix? In WiFi mode I have no issues and that's fine for the time being but it's nice to have a backup connection available in case WiFi mode stops working (like if my phone goes Jellybean for example)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Been experimenting with tethering my Nexus 7 to my Razr MAXX via Bluetooth using PDANet Tablet on the Nexus and PDANet/Foxfi on the phone. While it works for general browsing, I noticed some apps can't connect (Reddit client BaconReader for example, also HBO GO sometimes among a couple others ) at all claiming there is no network available.

Is there a reason for this, or a fix? In WiFi mode I have no issues and that's fine for the time being but it's nice to have a backup connection available in case WiFi mode stops working (like if my phone goes Jellybean for example)

I very much hope they fix this soon. My understanding is that you actually do have connectivity, but most apps check for Wi-Fi and mobile connectivity specifically.

Ingress works fine on my nexus 7 tethered to my old gingerbread phone, but shows a constant " no connection " error in the app. Some apps that check connectivity specifically like gasbuddy won't even start. Gmail and other Google apps won't sync, while others are quite happy.

Technically, it's the apps that should be checking for an internet connection, not specifically a mobile or Wi-Fi connection, but Bluetooth internet is rare enough that few bother to check for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Aha. That explains why BaconReader, HboGo, Netflix, and Showtime don't work but Chrome surfs no problem. That's crazy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

strathus

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's year of 2015 now, and many apps still have this issue.
If it were the OS that checked for connectivity, we wouldn't face this kind of problem.
The apps' developers should look better this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12