FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimited

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimited

It appears that Samsung has officially indicated that KitKat will be coming to the Galaxy Note 2.

I'm extremely worried for one very specific reason.

When Verizon pushed out 4.3 update, it broke all the free hotspot apps. Fortunately, FoxFi
was immune to it, so I purchased it. However, the FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with
KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimited data customers. I emailed
them and asked if they were planning to outsmart Verizon and work on a fix... the response
was a solid "no"(which I figure meant that there are so few VZW Note II owners who bought
FoxFix and it wasn't worth their time/effort)

So... now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if VZW pushes KitKat to the Note 2?
Fortunately, it's VZW, so it's going to be a long wait. (hopefully)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimi

It appears that Samsung has officially indicated that KitKat will be coming to the Galaxy Note 2.

When Verizon pushed out 4.3 update, it broke all the free hotspot apps. Fortunately, FoxFi
was immune to it, so I purchased it. However, the FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with
KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimited data customers. I emailed
them and asked if they were planning to outsmart Verizon and work on a fix... the response
was a solid "no"(which I figure meant that there are so few VZW Note II owners who bought

So... now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if VZW pushes KitKat to the Note 2?

May not be as long as you think...

Samsung lays out which devices will get Android 4.4.2 KitKat | Android Central
(And don't think just that "because it's Verizon" it will necessarily take a lot longer...as of late they've late they've been doing a pretty good job of keeping up with other US carriers in terms of releasing updates)

From my experience, the Note series and Galaxy S series phones are pretty similar in terms of software, and they are both pretty popular, so this will probably be an issue with more than just the Note 2 (though I'm just guessing here).

I find it funny that despite the fact that Verizon isn't allowed to "block" tethering apps now due to FCC regulations, it seems quite convenient that each update to their phones seems to completely prevent them from working (nice little loophole for them).

I personally don't even really use hotspot on my phone at all, but none the less, this is just a small part of the reason why I'm done with Verizon and my next phone will be a Nexus device, probably on T-Mobile.

ganggreen777

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: FoxFi developer said VZW Note 2 with KitKat will "permanently" break free hotspotting for unlimi

Easy answer....root your phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Daniel Gorun

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Easy answer! Not all devices are rootable anymore.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to try this thread since I haven't had a reply to my previous attempts. The Foxfi app says that only USB and Bluetooth will work after the 4.4.2 update. I want to be able to tether my Note 8 on limited occasions and have tested it again, the first time after the 4.3 scare, before Foxfi found a workaround. This scare seems more ominous. Bluetooth works for basic browsing but not for my e-mail nor my SSLVPN software, the two things I will really need to access if wifi isn't available. Am I going to be crippled if and when 4.4.2 finally comes out for the VZW Note 2? If there is no workaround for Bluetooth then I would be happy to stay on 4.3. My Nexus 7 has 4.4.2 and I don't see what the upgrade provides. Maybe Samsung will put upgrades in the Touchwiz interface that I might find useful, but I will have to weigh the difference if I lose the hotspot and Bluetooth won't do what I need to do.

thecyberguy

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I guess I'm keeping my note 3 as 4.3 for a while.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Android Central App

headdead

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Note2, Verizon, unlimited data, KitKat, FoxFI success.

FYI:
As of 7DEC2014, my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note2 (SCHI605) is running Android version 4.4.2, Kernel 3.0.31, stock (not rooted). Unlimited Data Plan.
I use the purchased version of FoxFi to run the Note2 as a wireless WIFI hotspot broadcasting a 4G signal. It works flawlessly and I recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allirose