G6 still worth it now?

Verrrtigo

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Semi-long post, but I've put a TLDR below.

In a nutshell, I need a new phone that could last me the next 2-3 years, hopefully without slowing down unreasonably.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5s, but I damaged it beyond repair and it will crap out on my any time now. So the iPhone SE is a very attractive option for me.

I'm also looking at the Galaxy S7. I'm a little apprehensive as the last Android phone I owned was the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it got quite laggy towards the second half of the three years I've been using it (factory restoring or even installing CM 12.1 did not help).

But more than either the SE or S7, the LG G6 has been catching my eye and I'm really liking the reviews. Unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to see it live, so I have to base my opinion on reviews and actual user testimonies.

I also live in the EU, so I'm really bummed that I'm being scammed out of either the extras they offer in the Asian and North American models. But I'm willing to let this one slide as at this point my interest in the phone is quite high.

I have three main reservations that stop be from ordering one right now:

1. Snapdragon 821

I'm slightly worried about the SD821, as it's a 2016 design. I'm not a heavy user, so I think in terms of apps or multitasking I should be fine, but I'm wondering whether the improvements in power efficiency, network speeds and other advantages of the SD835 or other 2017 SoC's would be enticing enough to go for a newer chip.

2. Camera - auto mode

I've read wonders about the G6's camera manual mode and have seen pictures and videos as testament to its greatness. Though not many of the reviews actually compare them to auto mode and I've also read that the auto mode on this is not as great as some of the competitors.

I have little knowledge and experience in photography (though maybe I will learn something when experimenting with the Manual mode), so I'm more of a point-and-shoot person on auto mode. I'm by no means in need of professional looking photographs, but I want a camera that can take pictures without too much effort with when travelling.

Would I see a clearly noticeable drop in photo quality if using auto mode almost exclusively?

3. Camera - Auto mode Flash

This one may sound silly, but we all know that situation when we want to take a picture discreetly. I've read in the forums (or comments on one of the reviews) that when shooting in auto mode, it's not possible to turn the flash off and it stays on automatic mode. I am very skeptical about that (as it sounds like a no-brainer to have such functionality), but I haven't been any review or comment explicitly stating that it is in fact possible to turn it off. I would check it out myself, but I can find no G6 on display in any store nearby. Could any owner here confirm/deny this?

I'd appreciate to hear your input (especially current/previous users of the G6) regarding the three points above to help me decide whether it's worth getting a new G6 at the end of 2017 (and almost in 2018).

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
OP, what you do not mention is your budget so it's a bit difficult to recommend a phone in your budget range.
1. Snapdragon 821 is fine for now. My Pixel runs just as smooth as last year at launch on Oreo. I can't say the same for LG G6 and it's Oreo implementation for the G6. It should be fine for at least another year maybe 18 months but no longer.

2. Camera is great on the LG in auto mode. It does take a bit of practice to get used to how the auto mode camera in the G6 works. I took some great side by side pictures with my Pixel and after a week or so I figured out how to use the G6 and it consistently produced pictures at par with my Pixel.

3. I was able to turn the flash off and take picture in auto mode when I had the LG G6. I had the US factory unlocked version.

Verrrtigo

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hey, thanks for chiming in!

It makes sense that the flash should be the same on the other versions too. As well as that, glad to hear about your experience with Auto mode.

My budget is around 500 euro (so more or less 600 USD). I purposefully left it out as prices differ wildly between regions and mine (Lithuania) is not the most friendly in that sense. Possibly something to do with the fact that no carrier is selling the LG - only select few electronics retailers. Maybe that allows them to jack up the price (whereas I heard in many other places LG itself is actively lowering it).

I've already looked at the following devices and rejected them in favor of the LG:
Xiaomi Mi6 - no headphone jack is a dealbreaker for me. Wireless headphones don't match up with my lifestyle and using an adapter would be too much of an inconvenience.
HTC U11 - same as above, also, it's almost 50% more expensive than the G6.
iPhone 6s - would rather have the SE for the smaller size and battery life.
Honor 9, Huawei P10 - these are both very attractive, but from what I've read in the reviews, it seems like the G6 would suit me better, based on the way its camera functions. Though these do seem to have have better hardware.
OnePlus 3T/OnePlus 5 - very attractive, but the reviews mention poor WiFi and network connectivity. I frequently use WiFi indoors where the connection source is behind one or several concrete walls, so naturally it worries me.

The decisions are not finalised yet, so given enough reasons, I would alter my opinion. Your comment about the 821 has sowed some doubt. In 18-24 months, do you project it to be THAT bad? I'm not a heavy power user and may probably live with that, to a reasonable degree (my S2 used to take upwards of 5 seconds to answer a call, sometimes freezing without allowing to answer it - unacceptable).

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it is worth it, especially if you can get it for around 400. My only complaint is the camera. It can take great pictures, but it's slow as molasses in taking them. When my wife and I are together, and we're trying to get pics of the kids, I always use her pixel... It's noticeable that it's better with pics in every way.

I do really enjoy the phone, though. The screen is nice, the battery is good enough, and the ok phone has a great design.

Now that I think about it though, I'd have a hard time choosing between a s8, the pixel, and the G6 if I were to get a phone for 500 or below. Otherwise, I'd probably get a pixel 2.

Verrrtigo

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Subliminal, thank you for the input!

I have been doing some research the past days and I've explored more or less all the options at our around my current budget. I've even managed to find a G6 I could turn on and use for a little bit - coming from my old and battered iPhone 5s the difference was almost magical.

So I'm inclined to go ahead and purchase the LG G6. I'm in need of a new phone fast and I can't really wait for new phone releases or Christmas deal (which are usually not so great anyway where I live). The forums are full of scary things like boot loops or camera glass cracking spontaneously, but I'm willing to take my chance.

It's a national holiday here today so from tomorrow I'll be looking at stores where I can buy it right now. Alternatively I've found an e-store that would deliver it early next week.

I always do extensive market research before purchasing new devices. I don't change them often, so I want them to last me a decent time. I still have my doubts about the 821, but better phones come out with better specifications all the time. So my goal, while idealistic, is not in all cases realistic. Hope I won't get disappointed and think I've make the wrong choice, but the only way to find out is to take the step ;)

I'm thinking of taking the black one and using it in a case. Platinum will do too, if black is unavailable. I'm partial to the color black and the black one does look more aesthetically pleasing, but as an engineer I'm also drawn to practicality and the platinum one seems better in that aspect.

I'll be sure to check back here for your thoughts and will share my experiences when/if I do manage to acquire a G6.

On a side note, I've been looking at some cases as well and like these so far (can't post links, so will post names as listed on Amazon):
Spigen Thin Fit
Spigen Rugged Armor
Caseology [Parallax Series] Slim

Let me know if any of you have had them ;)

Tim Hallinger

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking the black one and using it in a case. Platinum will do too, if black is unavailable. I'm partial to the color black and the black one does look more aesthetically pleasing, but as an engineer I'm also drawn to practicality and the platinum one seems better in that aspect.

Hey, keep in mind that the camera coating from the black LG G6 is possibly easier to scratch.

CrimsonRonin

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
#1 - The 821 has been plenty fast enough for me. I rarely get the odd hiccup but you do on all phones so no biggie there.

#2 - Auto mode is ok but manual really is king. If you want good auto shots install the Google Pixel HDR+ camera apk and use that. I switch between the Pixel cam for auto and the manual for my more artsy shots and it's a good solution.

#3 - It can be turned off no problem.

Verrrtigo

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hey, keep in mind that the camera coating from the black LG G6 is possibly easier to scratch.

Hi Tim, could you elaborate on that?

Is this a known issue on the forums inherent to the black model and it actually scratches easier or do you mean that the scratches are simply more visible on the black?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tim, could you elaborate on that?

Is this a known issue on the forums inherent to the black model and it actually scratches easier or do you mean that the scratches are simply more visible on the black?

The part where the camera lens scratches, really easy and really bad. However, it is just the coating, not the glass underneath. There are Reddit threads explaining what to do, but I just bought headlight lens cleaner at the auto parts store "scratch-x" and scrubbed it with a q tip for 20-30 min to get the coating off. Looks brand new now.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Semi-long post, but I've put a TLDR below.

In a nutshell, I need a new phone that could last me the next 2-3 years, hopefully without slowing down unreasonably.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5s, but I damaged it beyond repair and it will crap out on my any time now. So the iPhone SE is a very attractive option for me.

I'm also looking at the Galaxy S7. I'm a little apprehensive as the last Android phone I owned was the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it got quite laggy towards the second half of the three years I've been using it (factory restoring or even installing CM 12.1 did not help).

But more than either the SE or S7, the LG G6 has been catching my eye and I'm really liking the reviews. Unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to see it live, so I have to base my opinion on reviews and actual user testimonies.

I also live in the EU, so I'm really bummed that I'm being scammed out of either the extras they offer in the Asian and North American models. But I'm willing to let this one slide as at this point my interest in the phone is quite high.

I have three main reservations that stop be from ordering one right now:

1. Snapdragon 821

I'm slightly worried about the SD821, as it's a 2016 design. I'm not a heavy user, so I think in terms of apps or multitasking I should be fine, but I'm wondering whether the improvements in power efficiency, network speeds and other advantages of the SD835 or other 2017 SoC's would be enticing enough to go for a newer chip.

2. Camera - auto mode

I've read wonders about the G6's camera manual mode and have seen pictures and videos as testament to its greatness. Though not many of the reviews actually compare them to auto mode and I've also read that the auto mode on this is not as great as some of the competitors.

I have little knowledge and experience in photography (though maybe I will learn something when experimenting with the Manual mode), so I'm more of a point-and-shoot person on auto mode. I'm by no means in need of professional looking photographs, but I want a camera that can take pictures without too much effort with when travelling.

Would I see a clearly noticeable drop in photo quality if using auto mode almost exclusively?

3. Camera - Auto mode Flash

This one may sound silly, but we all know that situation when we want to take a picture discreetly. I've read in the forums (or comments on one of the reviews) that when shooting in auto mode, it's not possible to turn the flash off and it stays on automatic mode. I am very skeptical about that (as it sounds like a no-brainer to have such functionality), but I haven't been any review or comment explicitly stating that it is in fact possible to turn it off. I would check it out myself, but I can find no G6 on display in any store nearby. Could any owner here confirm/deny this?

I'd appreciate to hear your input (especially current/previous users of the G6) regarding the three points above to help me decide whether it's worth getting a new G6 at the end of 2017 (and almost in 2018).
I would only buy it if you can get a great deal, under $400 USD or under 400 Euros. Otherwise I would shop around.

My friend who was a big LG fan bought a Mate 9 this summer and loves the phone.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Subliminal, thank you for the input!

I have been doing some research the past days and I've explored more or less all the options at our around my current budget. I've even managed to find a G6 I could turn on and use for a little bit - coming from my old and battered iPhone 5s the difference was almost magical.

So I'm inclined to go ahead and purchase the LG G6. I'm in need of a new phone fast and I can't really wait for new phone releases or Christmas deal (which are usually not so great anyway where I live). The forums are full of scary things like boot loops or camera glass cracking spontaneously, but I'm willing to take my chance.

It's a national holiday here today so from tomorrow I'll be looking at stores where I can buy it right now. Alternatively I've found an e-store that would deliver it early next week.

I always do extensive market research before purchasing new devices. I don't change them often, so I want them to last me a decent time. I still have my doubts about the 821, but better phones come out with better specifications all the time. So my goal, while idealistic, is not in all cases realistic. Hope I won't get disappointed and think I've make the wrong choice, but the only way to find out is to take the step ;)

I'll be sure to check back here for your thoughts and will share my experiences when/if I do manage to acquire a G6.

On a side note, I've been looking at some cases as well and like these so far (can't post links, so will post names as listed on Amazon):
Spigen Thin Fit
Spigen Rugged Armor
Caseology [Parallax Series] Slim

Let me know if any of you have had them ;)
It's awesome that you are doing your research, but as always, be careful of looking at these forums for objective takes on the G6. You are always hearing from the noisy 1%. The happy 99% don't feel the need to come to these forums to say how great the G6 is.

Every phones' forum will have negative things to say. And I'm not saying these people are saying false things, quite the opposite. I'm sure they are true, but for every 1 person that you see say something negative, there are at least 99 people who have no clue about the forum that are happy. Just trying to bring some perspective.

The G6 is an absolute beast. I am a hard core techie, and my wife is the opposite, however we both have had zero issues and are loving ours. Like someone else said, if I were in your shoes I would shop OnePlus, the G6, and possibly the new Motorola X4, but it does have a 600 series chipset, which isn't as powerful but more energy efficient. If you must get an 800 series, you can't go wrong with G6 or OP5 (or wait for OP5t).

EDIT: Also my comment isn't an indictment on this specific forum. There are a lot of regulars here that use a G6 that are positive about it. My comment was more of a generality of forums in general.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely! The G6 is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated devices of the year. Great specs, performs well, and wonderful aesthetics. LG hit a home run with this phone. Also, it's water resistant and I think even dust resistant. But my favourite thing about it is how good it feels in the hand; even though it's 5.7". Their screen-to-body ratio thing is phenomenal.

Of course, if you wait a little longer, the G6 may drop in price. I know that my carrier has already put it at $0 for a two-year term... And that has me tempted! Haha.

iamci

May 15, 2017
Visit site
In the past year, I've used the Blackberry KeyOne, LG G6 and the Honor 8. I would say that the LG G6 is still worth buying. I like the Honor 8 the most just because of the abilities of the fingerprint scanner, but LOVE the LG G6's screen. The performance is a little slower than the Honor 8. For the prices that I see the G6 being sold around Swappa, eBay, etc. I think it's a good buy if you plan on using it for another year or two.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
In the past year, I've used the Blackberry KeyOne, LG G6 and the Honor 8. I would say that the LG G6 is still worth buying. I like the Honor 8 the most just because of the abilities of the fingerprint scanner, but LOVE the LG G6's screen. The performance is a little slower than the Honor 8. For the prices that I see the G6 being sold around Swappa, eBay, etc. I think it's a good buy if you plan on using it for another year or two.
Is there a technology on those fingerprints sensors that allows them to do that? Or is it just software based? Just wondering if some of those fingerprint gestures could eventually come to LG G6.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there a technology on those fingerprints sensors that allows them to do that? Or is it just software based? Just wondering if some of those fingerprint gestures could eventually come to LG G6.

Depending on what you're referring to, the G6 has a soft button you can put in the nav bar to lower and raise your notification shade, possibly easier than swiping on fingerprint sensor depending on your preference

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Depending on what you're referring to, the G6 has a soft button you can put in the nav bar to lower and raise your notification shade, possibly easier than swiping on fingerprint sensor depending on your preference
For sure. I definitely use that every day. Just more curious about the fingerprint sensor technology since a lot of oems are using that.

Verrrtigo

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone.

Small update. So I haven't been able to buy it yet, haven't been to a store that stocks it (except the white model, which I don't want). After handling it I thought it was a bit too large for me. One handed usability is important and I didn't feel like I had a secure grip on it when texting one handed, so the possibility of dropping it when someone bumps me (in a store, in public transport, etc.) seems high.

So I started having second thoughts about this :D. Will visit another phone store tomorrow and see what they have. May actually cave in and just get an iPhone SE to replace my current 5s, but I'd really love an Android this time. So still torn between these two.