Galaxy Nexus vs HTC Evo 4G LTE; Why the Evo?

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a big Nexus guy and have been waiting for the GNEX for Sprint since November. I had a EVO3D which I didn't think was that bad, but I'm currently using the Nexus S 4G. Now after seeing the EVO 4G LTE, I am confused. So, to those committed to the EVO what are your reasons rather then the GNEX? The one thing I will say is that I love those HTC weather animations. Very refreshing. Thanks Guys.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Signal strength will be much better on the EVO LTE than the Galaxy Nexus.

Your E3D has a relatively low signal, but Samsung Android phones are unquestionably the weakest at cell phone strength.

Another thing is the EVO LTE won't have that stupid onscreen button bar taking up room or the stupid search widget stuck on the home screen.

I only wish HTC kept the original 4 button layout. Removing the search button and a dedicated multi-task button is idiotic.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
To me its a no brainer..Htc has

Better Camera
Better recorder
Better Radio
Better WiFI
Better GPS

And build quality of almost any phone beats Samsungs plasticy feel.. They off nothing different.

b1time

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a big Nexus guy and have been waiting for the GNEX for Sprint since November. I had a EVO3D which I didn't think was that bad, but I'm currently using the Nexus S 4G. Now after seeing the EVO 4G LTE, I am confused. So, to those committed to the EVO what are your reasons rather then the GNEX? The one thing I will say is that I love those HTC weather animations. Very refreshing. Thanks Guys.

I too have a NS4G. (I had an evo before this) I was looking forward to the gnex as well but quite honestly I miss some elements of HTC sense. I've been playing with "vanilla" android since the very first ICS roms were developed for the NS4G and it has left me feeling like a few things are missing. Sense 4.0 looks like its going to add to the ICS experience.

Oh and like Phil said above the screen as well... I saw the international one X and I was like :D

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Signal strength will be much better on the EVO LTE than the Galaxy Nexus.

Your E3D has a relatively low signal, but Samsung Android phones are unquestionably the weakest at cell phone strength.

Another thing is the EVO LTE won't have that stupid onscreen button bar taking up room or the stupid search widget stuck on the home screen.

I only wish HTC kept the original 4 button layout. Removing the search button and a dedicated multi-task button is idiotic.

I'll have to agree with you on the signal strength. My Epic 4G only pulls 70-80kbps while my dad's old HTC Hero (yes the hero!) pulls in 400-500kbps in the same area! It doesn't mean I don't enjoy this phone, but it can be bothersome that a first generation android phone can outpace my Epic.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Evo 4G LTE has a better screen, build, camera, a kickstand, better processor (not that the TI Omap 4460 is no slouch, but other SoCs are already surpassing its performance). Also, personally, I like the look of Sense 4 and think it compliments ICS.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I used to be absolutely set on the Galaxy Nexus, but Sprint took too long to release it. As of now, the GNexus is simply a 6 month old phone for the same price as the Evo will be, which has what is arguably the most current SoC in the market.

The wait for the Galaxy also let me research it and for every good thing it does, there's a nagging issue with it. Typical Samsung plasticky build, no dedicated shutter button, somewhat middling SoC specs, Pentile display array, lack of an SD expansion option, etc. Some folks don't care about some of those issues. To me, they are important.

Right now, the biggest issue with the Evo seems to be the lack of a replaceable battery, but I always carry several portable chargers (so I'm a shutterbug and have my well-stocked camera bag with me at all times) so that is not a deal breaker in my case.

Of course, with Google now offering the GSM version for $399 without a contract, I can just buy it and pop in the SIM from my corporate phone ;).

At that price, I can almost justify it as a toy, which makes the Sprint $199 price with contract hard to justify...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MrNolan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the Evo 4G LTE just a newer phone? The Galaxy Nexus has been out for awhile right? Just not available for Sprint. The Evo is newer so of course it should have better specs.

I'm an Evo 4G owner and i'll be getting the 4G LTE. Though I must say, I have been impressed with the iPhone Siri commercials. I didn't know Siri was that good!!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the Evo 4G LTE just a newer phone? The Galaxy Nexus has been out for awhile right? Just not available for Sprint. The Evo is newer so of course it should have better specs.
Yes, the EVO is newer. Nexus has been on Verizon for 6 months.
Though I must say, I have been impressed with the iPhone Siri commercials. I didn't know Siri was that good!!
I don't think using Siri would make that big of a difference. I use the Google voice dictation all the time, in fact I am using it for this post.

I don't think I can handle speaking to my phone as if it were a person, I can't even tolerate it when people do that to their pets.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Evo 4G owner and i'll be getting the 4G LTE. Though I must say, I have been impressed with the iPhone Siri commercials. I didn't know Siri was that good!!

Yes, Siri is probably as good of an AI voice command feature as they have ever come before. That being said, I am satisfied with Android's Voice actions (FOR NOW at least. YOU HEAR THAT GOOGLE?) I will not be switching from Android, dropping tons of functionality and customization options so I can have a conversation with my phone.

However, I heard a rumor (You know how those go. something about salt) that Google was working on a more direct Siri competitor called Google Assistant, which is supposed to be better than Siri. It may show up in Jelly Bean.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.
Not that I would not like that feature, but most people wake up at the same time everyday.

Additionally tell me four other things that you speak naturally to your phone on that you actually use, and works.

It's a gimmick, I'm not going to have a conversation with my phone, it's not going to help me play guitar, it's not going to get me a girlfrend, and no my phone will never call me 'rock god'.

I plan on holding out until I see what the next iPhone offers before I make my next smartphone purchase. I genuinely don't know what I'm getting next.

On a side note, try saying "navigate to Target" and see what the iPhone does. Lol.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos