Galaxy Nexus vs HTC Evo 4G LTE; Why the Evo?

Huludical

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the nexus on Verizon right now and it absolutely sucks. Camera is terrible. Battery is terrible. Display is terrible. Can't wait for my EVO to come in the mail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Well Im torn on this subject too. My current phone is painful to use and my upgrade is thursday. Now I have played witht he galaxy nexus and its an amazing phone, but I have had alot of issues with samsung in the past. My current breakdown of the phones:

HTC EVO 4g LTE

Pros: Everything! This is pretty much the perfect phone (for todays standards) and I have had a great track record with HTC on all my phones through them. Plus the support and accessories are amazing!

Con: Battery built in. This is a HUGE con and I mean HUGE! Sure the LTE radio is integrated into the CPU which is great for battery life. But phones of this caliber are notorious for bad battery life. Granted some days I can carry a small battery pack, but I cant every day and having my phone not last is not a good thing.

Galaxy nexus

Pros: Pretty much everything. The phone has been a blast to use at the store (and those floor models are notorious for lag and issues). I love the flow of ICS and never had an issue with touchwiz although Im a big sense fan.

Cons: Battery life, build quality, non expandable storage. The battery life has always been an issue with samsung phones, but the ability to get an extended battery or carry extra batteries is a plus. As always plastic materials. While the phone feels fine and seems durable, the plastic is a bit of a turn off. The lack of expandable storage isnt terrible but still a definite issue since Im down to 2GB of space on my current 16GB card which means Id fill the space of the galaxy immediately.

Conclusion:

If the new evo had a replaceable battery it would be a no brainer, but being limited to how long I can work away from a charger and/or having to lug around a battery pack is a big concern for me. Now if the new evo can get a full day on moderate to heavy use then its not a concern as by midnight I will have it on the charger. Hopefully the battery reports will come in soon so I can preorder or get the galaxy.

I would advise you to inquire about radio signal issues (or hopefully lack thereof) once people actually start using the EVO LTE. Having returned the GNex yesterday due to really poor 3G signal, weak wifi, awful 3G to wifi handoffs, and poor GPS, that's the most important thing that I'm watching for the EVO LTE early use. In day to day use, the Sense and ICS experience on either phone should be pretty great, but the radio issues with the GNex (not just Sprint, but read about them on the Verizon forum too, and certainly prior Samsung phones had signal issues) were a dealbreaker for me. I really really enjoyed using the phone, though, and was bummed to return it.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^Samsung radios suck. EVO LTE will be way better.

The only people that don't have signal problems with Samsung phones are on Wifi, don't talk much, don't travel or are liars, simple as that.

soonerfreak

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought this was gonna be a tough choice for me, but being able to just swap batteries instead of being attached to a chord is awesome.On top of that, all my memory is a single 32GB amount instead of being split between the on board and SD card. Plus I am hoping that Sprint will get the new Nexus first and I can use my parents upgrade to get that in the fall. Since Sprint didn't block wallet and they released the Gnex as a pure model as well as pushing ICS to their NS4G quickly I hope google has taken a liking to them.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree and I don't know why Sprint continues to take inventory from Samsung.
You have to sell what people buy. I've never seen online reviews talk definitively on signal, its glossed over and very annoying.

If signal was talked about more, Motorola and Samsung would switch places.

I would love if my Photon had a SLCD panel. It'd be perfect.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was gonna be a tough choice for me, but being able to just swap batteries instead of being attached to a chord is awesome.On top of that, all my memory is a single 32GB amount instead of being split between the on board and SD card. Plus I am hoping that Sprint will get the new Nexus first and I can use my parents upgrade to get that in the fall. Since Sprint didn't block wallet and they released the Gnex as a pure model as well as pushing ICS to their NS4G quickly I hope google has taken a liking to them.

Still not GSM and still doesn't have the audience of big blue and big red.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

eldaino

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
i'm considering getting a gnexus out of contract (had on on verzion) after having owned my evo lte for about four months now....but given that this is a pretty old thread, i wonder what you're thoughts are on the massive signal issues that seem to plague the evo lte in reference to the galaxy nexus....