Galaxy Note 2 - Massive battery drain after 4.3 update

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the hubbub over Knox. I have two Note 2's here with 4.3 and neither one drains the battery any faster than the past 15 months on the previous 2 OS releases.

Nor me. I think it's a red herring to be honest. I don't see anything related to KNOX eating my battery at all. My battery drain rate is as good as if not better then it was on 4.1.2.

*shrugs*

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Aamir India

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Bad to know that my link doesn't work :( but thanks for the confirmation serkansancak :)

A few of us here don't seem to be facing this issue but I have confirmed that KNOX is eating a lot of my cell RAM + CPU. It has to go from my cell!!

serkansancak, please please please spend some more time to write it again for us (prob in Notepad first and then copy-paste here).

Thanks much in advance for helping rest of us here... :)

homestead

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Nor me. I think it's a red herring to be honest. I don't see anything related to KNOX eating my battery at all. My battery drain rate is as good as if not better then it was on 4.1.2.

*shrugs*

Your experience and that of the many reporting a problem suggests that it doesn't have a simple or obvious cause. My wife and I each use the Note 2 and have seen a substantial loss of battery life since upgrading. These are our only phone and Internet access and are used a great deal in areas with borderline cell reception. None of this changed after the problem began but this type of usage may have exacerbated it. Your usage and service environment may minimize the issue. In any case, a substantial number of Note 2 users are reporting problems and no user initiated solution appears to help most of us. Samsung must make this a priority.

serkansancak

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Not at all Christos! :) You welcome.

Yesterday I wrote a very detailed answer but it's lost anyhow. I'll try to summarize once more. I'm also adding some replies to some posts.

This may help but needs to be tested. Past 11PM my time, so need to go to bed. Let me know if you guys give it a try.
Not gonna work. This is only for installed Knox interface which allows you to use a "secure" 2nd desktop like you are using a second OS. But in some sources they announced that it is not "that" secured and should be fixed. Even if you do not install it there are 7 or 8 files related with it and they are system apps that is running!

Comprehensive but I'm not entirely sure Knox is to blame, least not entirely.
Exactly! It consumes a great amount of battery but other programs too. The case is, it keeps some programs wake that should be in deep sleep mode when device is not in use, at least they were before Knox. So it consumes battery with other apps but it is the core of the problem.

I don't understand the hubbub over Knox. I have two Note 2's here with 4.3 and neither one drains the battery any faster than the past 15 months on the previous 2 OS releases.
Actually that was the aim, to use battery source more efficiently. But it failed in most of the cases. I don't know how and why it failed in some cases and not in others, but the problem is that it seems nobody knows the reason! :) Another side is you don't have the rights to uninstall it, and it is a new user that is using YOUR phone! Well I don't wanna share my phone with anyone! You can see in some cases (when it asks as which user you like to perform a task) that it is a new user that has full root access to everything. There should be user and virus program with restricted access at this step. But Knox is more powerful on your phone than you are. This is what is wrong about it.

I tired many ways to get rid of it but all the methods described on the net has been failed. Some methods might work if you do not make the security update after you upgraded to 4.3. (I installed that security update :( ). While finding the method I will describe below, I tried others too, and one of them void my warranty and the methods to set the counter back to zero is not working on 4.3. If you know a method I'd like to learn and will appreciate! Therefore I will summarize the method skipping the parts that I did but not necessary for the success.

Before we begin there is a point that I should say. I installed SuperSU few times on my previous attempts but it has been removed by knoxed system. When I started the method described below, I don't have this app anywhere on my phone. But after I manage too root my device it pops up! Don't know if Kingo Root installed it automatically or it appeared back because I installed it earlier.

Now try the method on your own risk!

Step by step:
0) Before you begin make sure that Kies is connecting with your phone with no problem and all necessary drivers are installed on your PC for the communication. And also make sure that under developer options USB Debugging is checked! (I'll write how to do it after, if you don't know how, because with 4.3 developer options is gone! :)
1) Install "Kingo Android Root" ( Application Download Link Removed by Moderator ) to you PC. It will not root your phone without following the other steps.
2) Install "System App Remover" (the one by Jumobile) from play store. The app will be installed as a different name, as "Uninstall". I tried "All-in-One Toolbox" too but it coudn't find all the files listed below (namely KLMS Agent). So I had to install this one and try again.
2.1) Install "Root Checker Basic" from play store.
3) Go to Menu>Settings>More>App Manager>All and force stop the apps:

com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
Security principle (or element) update -- (Probably you have this if you installed the security update after 4.3 upgrade. I'm not sure about the file name because I translate the name from Turkish)
KNOX
KNOX -- (Yes we have to of them! One is to install Knox interface other one is the one that is already running without installing the other one.)
Knox Notification Manager
KNOX Store
KLMS Agent

In total we have 8 files (or actually apps) to close. You may have 7 of them if you don't have Security Principle Update.
Some of these will not gonna allow you to force stop, never mind, just close the ones that you can.
4) (Now you have to be quick because somehow these apps restart themselves.) Connect your phone to your PC and run Kingo and click root then follow the instructions on your pc screen. Your note 2 will restart and will be rooted.
5) Disconnect your phone.
6) Run "Root Checker Basic" and click "verify root access" and see if you are rooted now. (You should be rooted.)
7) Install "SuperSU" from play store.
8) Run "uninstall" (which we obtain by installing "System App Remover" (the one by Jumobile)). SuperSU will ask for root permission for uninstall, approve it. Uninstall will provide you a list, choose all the apps listed above and uninstall them. KLMS Agent will not be in the list and you should use the search option of the app. If for any reason you don't see any other app in the list search and uninstall! YOU SHOULD DELETE ALL 8 FILES!
9) Restart your phone.

Congrats!

Hope it worked for you too.

Actually I installed Battery Doctor before I rooted and remove Knox and it really helped a LOT! But still not as good as I was in 4.1.2. Now I'm back to normal again! Besides while having Knox I had some other strange things like the device restarting itself even in a middle of a call. I don't know what caused those anomalies, may be Knox may be I tired to many things on my poor device. However, now it seems all is gone. Besides Knox is not watching me anymore, the best part! ;)

I'll try to uninstall battery doctor in few days to check the difference. If you don't want to root your device you can use it for a better result but NOT completely back to normal.

To access developers options if you cannot access after 4.3 upgrade:

1) Go to Menu>Settings>More>About
2) Now scroll to "Build number" and tap it 7 times.
3) After clicking the Build Number 7 times, you will get a message saying "Developer mode has been enabled.
4) Now the "developers options" will be under Menu>Settings>More>

Hope I could managed to explain clearly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(prob in Notepad first and then copy-paste here)

That's what I just did just to be sure to save my work. ;) Just let me know if you fail at any step and I might be knowing how to overcome the case.

Last edited:

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hurray!!! I have done exactly as you have described and got rid of all 8 af those annoying apps. Security Policy tried to block me from rooting and from uninstalling but my root apps prevailed and did exactly as I wanted them to do. I will see how the battery goes and let you know.
That's what I just did just to be sure to save my work. ;) Just let me know if you fail at any step and I might be knowing how to overcome the case.

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Alright...some first observations. There is great improvement in the battery life but it's still not what I would expect. Eg iT still drops during the night about 2% per hour. That is better than the 4% that was before removing KNOX of course. Something is still keeping the phone awake. I am wondering about two things: Firstly if all those Battery and Wakelock monitor apps are keeping the phone awake and if it would be a good thing to remove them and see what happens. Secondly, if it's necessary to do a factory reset (which I would hate to do, since I did it 3 times in the last few weeks). By the way, what is this Security storage that is using so much ram?Screenshot_2014-01-17-03-12-27.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-12-48.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-13-14.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-13-34.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-13-46.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-14-06.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-15-19.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-15-50.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-16-04.pngScreenshot_2014-01-17-03-16-13.png

Saint Badger

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I noticed my internet security running constant. I believe that the security software is detecting a "bug" in the Android update and starts scanning continuously. Can overheat the batteries and possibly the processor. Try uninstalling your internet security. This solved my battery drain issue. Don't have a cure for the security issue yet. Not much help. :-/

Posted via Android Central App

colosocool

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I will wait your test with a New Battery.. Have 2 batteries is a good idea, you dont need to be quiet with only one... Just relax if one get dead you just put the other one and that's all

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 mediante Tapatalk

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Alright folks, I think I have finally managed to solve the battery drain problem, thank God!
The bad news is that it cannot be done without your phone being rooted.
So firstly root your phone in the manner my friend Serkansancak described in the post above (though you don't need Kies at all).
After you remove all the Knox bloatware and anything else you don't like, install Lucky Patcher (Google it).
This is usually used to remove licenses from pirated apps, But it also does something else which we will need to use:
It removes Google ads! And these are that keep our phones awake.
In the faulty 4.3 Samsung update apps with Google Ads always try to connect and sync thus keeping the phone awake.
In Luvky Patcher go into each app individually and choose "Remove Google ads".
Then choose "Patch to remove Google ads" and press "Apply". Rarely will you have 100% success but it doesn't matter.
Then repeat the process and this time press "Disable Ads Activities" and press each activity that is used for advertising (They are usually in orange colour).
It is time consuming but it's worth it. Now have a look at the screenshots I uploaded.
They show only 3% wakelock instead of the 65-85% that was before and the battery only went down to 98% from 100% in 2.5 hours!
My battery life now is better than on 4.1.2! I hope it stays that way. So go ahead and try it for yourselves.Screenshot_2014-01-18-15-38-17.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-38-32.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-38-52.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-12.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-23.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-28.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-33.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-39.pngScreenshot_2014-01-18-15-53-52.png

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Update. The phone had an excellent battery life for about three hours. I then made a couple of phone calls and the drain started again. About 64% awake time. As usual Android OS was the culprit. It seems that this Samsung 4.3 update is so messed up that nothing can save it. I will have to decide if I'm going to carry a spear battery with me or downgrade to 4.1.2. Can anyone give me detailed instructions how to downgrade?

parsifal56

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, but I am not sure this is due to 4.3 upgrade. For me, the drainage started about a week after the upgrade on my Note 2, but a friend with Note 2 has yet NOT upgraded, and she has the same issue - the exaxtly same issue. And it has lasted now for approx. a month. O:)

Christos Terzis

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I flashed two different official 4.1.2 firmwares on my phone. Reason being that I could not register on a GSM network and I still can't. Both gave me the previous excellent battery life that my phone had. So the battery drain is definitely a 4.3 mess up and I don't think that anything much can be done about it. I just hope I can find a firmware that gives me GSM access so I don't have to go back to 4.3.

najwans

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
'4.3 came with a nifty built in widget that shows currently running process and which ones are draining your battery'

Where can I find this widget?

Thanx :)

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is called Active Apps Manager. It should already be a selection inside the widgets section.

ysyna7aj.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

najwans

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
It is called Active Apps Manager. It should already be a selection inside the widgets section.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/20/ysyna7aj.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

Thanks buddy. Seems 4.3 on the s3 doesn't have that widget. Sorry to barge in on ur note2 discussion but I'm experiencing same battery drain issue after upgrade. Gonna disable G+. Barring that I think the only thing left to do is giving samsung/touchwiz a big up urs and going back to custom roms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d