Galaxy S4: Proximity sensors activates, but doesn't turn off

justinhere

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Proximity sensors activates, but doesn't turn off

Worked for me too. Thanks. I gave it a blow with my mouth and it worked some of the time. I bought an air can to give a good full service and it is working reliably now. I am having mixed emotions who is the man in this relationship now.

Robert Li

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

i also registered to say thank you. i am running on S4 4.3.I thought it was SW issue, updated the firmware and did factory reset twice, did not help. I was just about to contact samsung serivce until I saw this post. i did not want to wait for a compress air so just used vacume cleaner to suck through the speaker grill assuming dust can flow both ways. It WORKED!

xst

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Seems to be the same problem the Lumia 920 had. I had it too with both phones and didn't know about your fix so I sent it in to be repaired - and got a new one ;-)
Hope it doesn't occur again.

dgkb99

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

Also registered to say thanks! Worked like a charm. I used a bicycle hand pump.

durio

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Bearda please Can you explain me better how should i do because my phone stay all the time in vibration and in screen green..but it doesnt work how you say

sleepy_dad

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! I had the same issue. I tried vacuuming first, but that didn't work for me. Compressed air did the trick!

Posted via Android Central App

Claudio M

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I though this was a broken phone and I was going to bring it back, since it is under warranty.
Then I saw this post and told myself "What the heck, i'll give it a shot!".

THANK YOU!!!! I can't believe that it works!! I was so frustrated with this stupid behavior!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Best,
Claudio

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I'll tell my brother about this, it might just work, I hope. 👍😆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
can you tell me what i do to turn on when i open my flip cover

No! Don't turn anything on! As a matter of fact, take the battery out first before you start working on this.

After that, just follow the instructions in the video.

Uday Kiran Maloth

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

It worked like magic. Thank you. one more user to this forum just because of you.. can i post this in one of my forums mentioning the link to this forum..

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Compressed air didn't work for me. 2 cans, a couple sprays per day for weeks and no change.
Will need to find someone to take apart my phone.

Welcome to the forums!
Some people have reported that using the vacuum has helped them.
Have you tried that?

spammy L

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Bearda, you da man.
Was driving me crazy, thought it was due to an update.
Another registered user only to say thanks-- and to add one key bit of info!

using the *#0*# test, i kept trying the air blowing trick with no success, I also would go "green" with proximity =1.0 but it wouldn't shut off- exactly like what happened during phone calls....
BUT! I kept noticing the ADC baseline value kept dropping. 250's when i was really close, then down to baseline in the 70's. Then more air, down to the 60's, more air down to the 50's... more air--- down to 46, 47.... still solid green after i got close and didn't shut off.

one last time and a bit more air.... down to 42, 43.... and VOILA! It worked. green when close, off when far.

I blew through a straw a few more times to get it even lower in the low 30's just to have some cushion.

It seems to me the threshold is around a baseline ADC of 45 you need to 'blow down' to.
So for all those for whom this trick didn't work the first time, keep on blowing....