Galaxy S7 Active - Screen Cracked - No Impact! In my pocket!

zzp

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Similar experience, screen shattered w/ a crack originating near the back button. 6-yr old had phone, left room and came back 5 minutes later. Not certain, but we believe she walked the phone into a door knob.

"Shatter resistant" should not crack when handled by child. Phone is more fragile than non-"active" models, and features no better. Ripoff.

Returned it under the AT&T insurance, which is a money-making scheme of its own ($7.99/mo w/ $225 deductible--the deductible was $199 prior to Sep 2016).

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Similar experience, screen shattered w/ a crack originating near the back button. 6-yr old had phone, left room and came back 5 minutes later. Not certain, but we believe she walked the phone into a door knob.

"Shatter resistant" should not crack when handled by child. Phone is more fragile than non-"active" models, and features no better. Ripoff.

Returned it under the AT&T insurance, which is a money-making scheme of its own ($7.99/mo w/ $225 deductible--the deductible was $199 prior to Sep 2016).

Letting a kid destroy the phone is not a defect and that is not At&t insurance, that is Asurion used by all carriers.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
image.jpgThe s7 Active is definitely far from shatter proof, my 2 day old active has a shattered screen and tempered glass screen protector is in perfect condition. First I had to return my Note 7 due to battery issue and now a fall from less than 3 feet shattered a screen that is advertised as being shatter proof. Even worse is that I can't return it once the Note 7 becomes available again.

jaimeastin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You all have scared me from buying this phone... I believe there is a design flaw. The cream cracking from temperature, the screen cracking near the buttons, the phone getting damaged by water... Yet attached charges 100 more for it...

I can't buy this phone and then go through this mess

colby429

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Just switch to an Andorid phone for the first time and decided to go with the S7 Active for protection, had the phone 2 weeks and also got the spider crack between the buttons from a 2 foot fall . This happened under the tempered glass protector screen. This sucks.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 238608The s7 Active is definitely far from shatter proof, my 2 day old active has a shattered screen and tempered glass screen protector is in perfect condition. First I had to return my Note 7 due to battery issue and now a fall from less than 3 feet shattered a screen that is advertised as being shatter proof. Even worse is that I can't return it once the Note 7 becomes available again.

Best bet is to send it to Samsung to repair it so you can turn it back in when the Note 7 is available. My friend has to do that with the S7 edge loaner he got.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Letting a kid destroy the phone is not a defect and that is not At&t insurance, that is Asurion used by all carriers.
I concur. That insurance is a rip off. When the deductibles are practically the same as what a repair would cost then what's the use of it? Theft or loss? Really? Don't we all keep these phones close to us at all times and isn't there plenty of locating apps? I haven't lost or had a phone stolen ever. Who would steal these things these days since they're so easily tracked anyway? At any rate, insurance from the carriers is a rip-off and I rather just pay if and when I have to have my phone repaired. By the way, as far as the drop, how can it break so easily when handled by a child when it has proven to take more than 50 drops onto solid concrete from more than 4 feet?

Last edited:

DrPhaQmann

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I noticed a haze on my gs7 active, I literally washed it away, soap and water. It comes back ever so often just wash it away again it's water resistant after all.

Ashley015

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm having even worse issues. My husband and I got Samsung Galaxy s7 actives BOGO "free" thru AT&T. 2 days after we got them I dripped mine in the driveway and it got a piece of a rock stuck in the screen. Fine.. didn't shatter, but crap luck for me. That same weekend my hubby dropped his on our laminate, ELEVATED wood floor (no concrete foundation) and it totally shattered. AND it was in an otter box. I'm so disgusted right now with AT&T all the way around. We pay them almost $600 a month for all our services and they don't do anything but screw our bills up constantly. I'm about to switch everything. Screw them.

I wish I could figure out how to post a pic here.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Posting a pic is easy.

1 - Click the Insert Image button...PicButton.jpg

2 It will open this window ...Open.jpg

3. Click the From Computer tab in that window, then click Browse to select your picture from your hard drive.

4. Last click the Uploads Files(s) text...Uploads.jpg wait a few seconds and you will see something like ...ATTACH=CONFIG SomeNumber ATTACH with some additional characters added to your text.

That's it, post and you will see your pick.

H0GG

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 238608The s7 Active is definitely far from shatter proof, my 2 day old active has a shattered screen and tempered glass screen protector is in perfect condition. First I had to return my Note 7 due to battery issue and now a fall from less than 3 feet shattered a screen that is advertised as being shatter proof. Even worse is that I can't return it once the Note 7 becomes available again.

Not gonna lie something had to happen, I carried my S7A naked into one of the worst jobs possible, an iron found dry millroom, and not only did it hold up to iron shavings and silica sand in the air but also to drops from up to 10ft without a mark. Phone is nearly in pristine condition after several months the of torture. Will stay with the active line for a while just wish it wasn't Samsung, not a fan of TouchWiz or Knox. As a fan of its ruggedness I will stay with the Active line as the screen IS SHATTER-RESISTANT not proof, it's WATER-RESISTANT not proof! The screen is resistant to shattering it will still Crack and break just means it won't spread uncontrollable like iphones do. Essentially it's a laminated screen like the windshield in your car!

Beaverslayer

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
@Ashley015

Lawd have mercy! What kind of service do you have that cost that much? I've got 4 smart phones and 15 gb of data and it's like $265 a month; tax and fees included. You're almost paying a house note with what you have.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
@Ashley015

Lawd have mercy! What kind of service do you have that cost that much? I've got 4 smart phones and 15 gb of data and it's like $265 a month; tax and fees included. You're almost paying a house note with what you have.

I'm having even worse issues. My husband and I got Samsung Galaxy s7 actives BOGO "free" thru AT&T. 2 days after we got them I dripped mine in the driveway and it got a piece of a rock stuck in the screen. Fine.. didn't shatter, but crap luck for me. That same weekend my hubby dropped his on our laminate, ELEVATED wood floor (no concrete foundation) and it totally shattered. AND it was in an otter box. I'm so disgusted right now with AT&T all the way around. We pay them almost $600 a month for all our services and they don't do anything but screw our bills up constantly. I'm about to switch everything. Screw them.

I wish I could figure out how to post a pic here.

Agreed... Does that include DirecTV and how much data do you use? Hotspots? Thats absurd.

GF and i have 2 grandfathered unlimited data plans (i had 2 lines, one personal, one for business, on iPhone 3G and HTC/ATT 8525 hence my SN, i wisely kept BOTH lines all this time); its $180-or so a month, BUT we chew through a combined average of 180GB/month as well; stream movies to our tv, download tons of stuff, stream music, HUGE attachments, etc, all over 4G with ZERO throttling.

Our bill would be WELL over $800 a month otherwise.

Michael Sullivan10

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran when it comes to the internets and technology. I recently purchased the GS7 Active specifically to avoid worrying about damaging the device/water issues. As we all know, the water tests have recently been showing some very concerning results. More concerning than the water-proofing issues is what happened to my device last week.

I took my phone out of my pocket and noticed what I originally though was a scratch... perhaps a hair? My brain wasn't even processing the possiblity that the middle of the screen randomly cracked for no reason. After trying to blow away the hair/wipe off the scratch/smudge I quickly realized that the impossible situation is very possible.

I have a crack right through the top center of the screen in my brand new GS7 Active! Are you kidding me?! It's a very strange crack too, curved in the center with small perendicular cracks along the larger crack.

I've owned a GS2, 3, 4, and 5... skipped the 6 and went for a GS7 Active. In every previous Galaxy I've owned I have never once damaged the device. I've dropped a few in my day. But never would I assume the GS7 Active would simply crack in my pocket!!!

Worst than this, there are other reports of this happening the same exact way on the Samsung forums.

AT&T is not being helpful at all. Trying to force me to file an insurance claim. Or send the device back to Samsung for them to repair it and send me a replacement. Ok? Great! I call Samsung, they laughed at me and said "We don't send out replacements... you can send us the phone and we may decide to repair it in 14 business days".

Ummmmmm.... no! I need my phone for work. 14 business days?! It is clearly a defect with the device itself.

What are my options? Now that the GS7 isn't even waterproof, and I'm now seeing evidence that the screens are cracking/fogging/smudging beyond reason... I'm hoping that Samsung steps up to the plate and fixes the device/sends us new ones or* allows for a refund/replacement.

Otherwise, it's off to the BBB and to make sure that everyone knows not to purchase the Active product line until Samsung makes good on their advertised features.

:'(

Same thing happened to me. I got the phone ten days ago, galaxy s7 active from at&t. Got insurance on it. Put it in an Otterbox. But the raised buttons create a section of the screen that can not be protected by the screen protector. Today it broke in my pocket. It cracked by the buttons causing the screen protector to not stick. Went directly to at&t and they said I could pay $200 for the same phone or pay off my phone and buy something else. I'm going to try to find a Motorola defy and switch carrier. I'm so frustrated I can't describe. DO NOT GET A GALAXY S7 ACTIVE. hell don't get a Samsung anything. They are refusing to acknowledge a obvious design flaw.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I got the phone ten days ago, galaxy s7 active from at&t. Got insurance on it. Put it in an Otterbox. But the raised buttons create a section of the screen that can not be protected by the screen protector. Today it broke in my pocket. It cracked by the buttons causing the screen protector to not stick. Went directly to at&t and they said I could pay $200 for the same phone or pay off my phone and buy something else. I'm going to try to find a Motorola defy and switch carrier. I'm so frustrated I can't describe. DO NOT GET A GALAXY S7 ACTIVE. hell don't get a Samsung anything. They are refusing to acknowledge a obvious design flaw.
This scares me off from water depth/time testing and possibly exchanging my release day s7 Active. It's been in a pool a few feet deep, it's been dropped though not from too high and it still looks and runs like new. I would hate to swap out for a newer device that ends up having a bad screen like some appear to have.

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I did send my phone in to Samsung. They emailed me today that there would be a charge of $182.86 to repair as it was out of warranty. I immediately called and explained the phone was only 60 days old when the problem happened. They offered 30% discount on the repair fee. I replied that had I dropped it or hit it on something I would have no issue paying for something. However this phone is marketed as being extra durable and that was a large factor in my decision to buy it. That since it broke for no reason it must be a defect in the phone and I shouldn't have to pay for it to be repaired.

I spoke to a level 2 support tech. I repeated what I said above and he kept saying there was no way to prove I didn't drop it. We went around and around for about 45 minutes. He finally offered me a 50% discount after making it very clear that it was either that or no repair at all. I agreed but I told hm that between the exploding Notes and then this defect and the way they are handling it I will NEVER buy another Samsung product of any kind.

There are no words for how disgusted I am right now. They had better hope they don't end up in a class action suit. This is disgraceful.

Last edited:

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I did send my phone in to Samsung. They emailed me today that there would be a charge of $182.86 to repair as it was out of warranty. I immediately called and explained the phone was only 60 days old when the problem happened. They offered 30% discount on the repair fee. I replied that had I dropped it or hit it on something I would have no issue paying for something. However this phone is marketed as being extra durable and that was a large factor in my decision to buy it. That since it broke for no reason it must be a defect in the phone and I shouldn't have to pay for it to be repaired.

I spoke to a level 2 support tech. I repeated what I said above and he kept saying there was no way to prove I didn't drop it. We went around and around for about 45 minutes. He finally offered me a 50% discount after making it very clear that it was either that or no repair at all. I agreed but I told hm that between the exploding Notes and then this defect and the way they are handling it I will NEVER buy another Samsung product of any kind.

There are no words for how disgusted I am right now. They had better hope they don't end up in a class action suit. This is disgraceful.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Samsung definitely dropped the ball on the Active S7 in so many ways unfortunately.