Galaxy S7 Active - Screen Cracked - No Impact! In my pocket!

Joycelyn Benton

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran when it comes to the internets and technology. I recently purchased the GS7 Active specifically to avoid worrying about damaging the device/water issues. As we all know, the water tests have recently been showing some very concerning results. More concerning than the water-proofing issues is what happened to my device last week.

I took my phone out of my pocket and noticed what I originally though was a scratch... perhaps a hair? My brain wasn't even processing the possiblity that the middle of the screen randomly cracked for no reason. After trying to blow away the hair/wipe off the scratch/smudge I quickly realized that the impossible situation is very possible.

I have a crack right through the top center of the screen in my brand new GS7 Active! Are you kidding me?! It's a very strange crack too, curved in the center with small perendicular cracks along the larger crack.

I've owned a GS2, 3, 4, and 5... skipped the 6 and went for a GS7 Active. In every previous Galaxy I've owned I have never once damaged the device. I've dropped a few in my day. But never would I assume the GS7 Active would simply crack in my pocket!!!

Worst than this, there are other reports of this happening the same exact way on the Samsung forums.

AT&T is not being helpful at all. Trying to force me to file an insurance claim. Or send the device back to Samsung for them to repair it and send me a replacement. Ok? Great! I call Samsung, they laughed at me and said "We don't send out replacements... you can send us the phone and we may decide to repair it in 14 business days".

Ummmmmm.... no! I need my phone for work. 14 business days?! It is clearly a defect with the device itself.

What are my options? Now that the GS7 isn't even waterproof, and I'm now seeing evidence that the screens are cracking/fogging/smudging beyond reason... I'm hoping that Samsung steps up to the plate and fixes the device/sends us new ones or* allows for a refund/replacement.

Otherwise, it's off to the BBB and to make sure that everyone knows not to purchase the Active product line until Samsung makes good on their advertised features.

:'(

im glad i decided to look up the screen replacement. I also had my phone in my pocket no contact to anything... less than 30 days old and pulled it out to cracks right under my home button spidering towards the other buttons (and its under the screenn, cant feel it at all) called at&t they told me to file a claim.... and i almost did until they told me it would be $200. so i figured nevermind ill wait. but now its making sense reading everyones coments it doesnt seem like dropping it is whats cracking them (in every case) but heat may be a factor too... i was standing in front of a heat press at about 300F degrees. but i had ventalation. either way ill see about samsung or ill just pay the $200 because my crack has now spread up the phone through the middle and im sure itll only get worse. but ill never buy another galaxy again. i kinda miss my iphone!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I dropped mines 6 feet with a case onto the bathroom floor. No damage. I wore slim jeans and they were squshed a few times in my front pocket and nothing happened. Did you happen to sit on it by accident possibility? I don't think it can handle weight.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well I did send my phone in to Samsung. They emailed me today that there would be a charge of $182.86 to repair as it was out of warranty. I immediately called and explained the phone was only 60 days old when the problem happened. They offered 30% discount on the repair fee. I replied that had I dropped it or hit it on something I would have no issue paying for something. However this phone is marketed as being extra durable and that was a large factor in my decision to buy it. That since it broke for no reason it must be a defect in the phone and I shouldn't have to pay for it to be repaired.

I spoke to a level 2 support tech. I repeated what I said above and he kept saying there was no way to prove I didn't drop it. We went around and around for about 45 minutes. He finally offered me a 50% discount after making it very clear that it was either that or no repair at all. I agreed but I told hm that between the exploding Notes and then this defect and the way they are handling it I will NEVER buy another Samsung product of any kind.

There are no words for how disgusted I am right now. They had better hope they don't end up in a class action suit. This is disgraceful.

Sorry to hear that but Im not shocked. Samsung has become a horrible company to deal with. Im not sure I will ever buy another product from them.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a bit of experience with filing repair tickets with Samsung. This past year, my S6 active has been to and from the repair center about 5 times. Screen crack, water resistance, overheating, faulty sim tray. I documented each repair and started blasting off emails and letters...(in a nice way).

A refund was finally approved and I'm moving on to something else.

When you pay a good chunk of money for a smartphone you expect it to prove its worth. If it claims rugged, then damn it, be rugged. If it claims water resistance, well...you know. Good luck.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Just suffered a vicious drop onto pavement that had loose pebbles. It took a small chunk out of the bottom rubber and my tempered glass protector has a small circular shatter pattern right above the back button now. Nevertheless, once I cleaned up the debris off the phone it's working great. The screen is pristine and the gash in the bottom isn't even that noticeable since I have the dark grey/black version. I'll get a warranty replacement on the zagg protector.

This phone has proven to be the tough, top of the line, practically indestructible phone I hoped it would be.

bavet

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
That's unbelievable.. We need to tape the warranty reps.. (read your post GSCmont). Just bought mine less than 2 months ago. was sitting on my bench. I was taking pics for eBay. Picked it up all blurry. (No drop... nothing) Broken lens, Called AT&T And Had them say the exact same thing. His mysteriously broke also.. But the rep I talked to even went as far to say WITHIN 4 DAYS OF PURCHASE. But won't do didly.. Need to start a petition/class action. It's happening all over. Read Samsungs site..

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's unbelievable.. We need to tape the warranty reps.. (read your post GSCmont). Just bought mine less than 2 months ago. was sitting on my bench. I was taking pics for eBay. Picked it up all blurry. (No drop... nothing) Broken lens, Called AT&T And Had them say the exact same thing. His mysteriously broke also.. But the rep I talked to even went as far to say WITHIN 4 DAYS OF PURCHASE. But won't do didly.. Need to start a petition/class action. It's happening all over. Read Samsungs site..

Crazy...
Sorry to hear as well.

bavet

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank You.. I have read and read and+++(sure you know). Still Samsung does nothing. I have a feeling they never will. My issue is different than the last few pages here. (shattered camera lens) But all the reading i have done, it is a fault, At the Samsung site someone there believes its a pressure issue, Someone is really looking in to it, Doubt there would be a way to prove it, But he seems enthused about proving?? it.. But as far as i can tell there is no fixing (or fix) for the Actives rear camera lens? Thanks

geronracing

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Stumbled on this thread while searching for options...

Just happened to me, crack between the home button and back button that spider webbed out, no drops, scratches. Put it in my pocket and 10 minutes later noticed it. The chances of all of these cracks happening in the exact same spot, really means it's not impact related. Someone screwed up the design and there must be a pressure spot there that can crack the screen.

This is the 4th galaxy phone I have had in a row, third active (S5A, S6A, S7A). Tomorrow's call to tech support will be telling if my family and my business stay with Samsung or not

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Stumbled on this thread while searching for options...

Just happened to me, crack between the home button and back button that spider webbed out, no drops, scratches. Put it in my pocket and 10 minutes later noticed it. The chances of all of these cracks happening in the exact same spot, really means it's not impact related. Someone screwed up the design and there must be a pressure spot there that can crack the screen.

This is the 4th galaxy phone I have had in a row, third active (S5A, S6A, S7A). Tomorrow's call to tech support will be telling if my family and my business stay with Samsung or not

Keep us posted

Littlemissd

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran when it comes to the internets and technology. I recently purchased the GS7 Active specifically to avoid worrying about damaging the device/water issues. As we all know, the water tests have recently been showing some very concerning results. More concerning than the water-proofing issues is what happened to my device last week.

I took my phone out of my pocket and noticed what I originally though was a scratch... perhaps a hair? My brain wasn't even processing the possiblity that the middle of the screen randomly cracked for no reason. After trying to blow away the hair/wipe off the scratch/smudge I quickly realized that the impossible situation is very possible.

I have a crack right through the top center of the screen in my brand new GS7 Active! Are you kidding me?! It's a very strange crack too, curved in the center with small perendicular cracks along the larger crack.

I've owned a GS2, 3, 4, and 5... skipped the 6 and went for a GS7 Active. In every previous Galaxy I've owned I have never once damaged the device. I've dropped a few in my day. But never would I assume the GS7 Active would simply crack in my pocket!!!

Worst than this, there are other reports of this happening the same exact way on the Samsung forums.

AT&T is not being helpful at all. Trying to force me to file an insurance claim. Or send the device back to Samsung for them to repair it and send me a replacement. Ok? Great! I call Samsung, they laughed at me and said "We don't send out replacements... you can send us the phone and we may decide to repair it in 14 business days".

Ummmmmm.... no! I need my phone for work. 14 business days?! It is clearly a defect with the device itself.

What are my options? Now that the GS7 isn't even waterproof, and I'm now seeing evidence that the screens are cracking/fogging/smudging beyond reason... I'm hoping that Samsung steps up to the plate and fixes the device/sends us new ones or* allows for a refund/replacement.

Otherwise, it's off to the BBB and to make sure that everyone knows not to purchase the Active product line until Samsung makes good on their advertised features.

:'(

I have had exactly the same thing happen with my phone. I plugged ut in to charge then checked sn hour later and the screen had cracked on the underside. I have been to both Carphone Warehouse and Samsung and they have both said the damage is physical and I am liable to pay to have it fixed. They just will not entertain the fact that the screen cracked on it's own even after I pointed out your story and a few others I have read.

DEBORAHFULLER

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a similar problem 2 month old Samsung active s7 dropped from 3 feet screen cracked internally AT&T will not do anything they tell me to call Samsung Samsung tellso me to call att . I have spoke to the corporate office and they said I could get another phone under warranty I try to get that done with no luck I am so disappointed with AT&T they have gotten too big for their britches. The commercial for the active 7 shows a man walking down the street all of a sudden his active flies out of his hand onto the concrete sidewalk and he pick up the phone to no cracks . On u tube a guy drops a active 50 times and no cracks.. when I dropped the phone I immediately looked at it and did not see anything then a hour or so later, it looked like the screen was dirty I saw black lines and then it started to shatter internally. I am going to report AT&T and Samsung to the BBB on Monday when I get home from the weekend. This is so not right, there must be a defect in these phones like the note that explodes. I am not done with this problem I refuse to be left with 27 more next payments on a broken phone. Samsung needs to do a complete recall on these cracked screens that the claim on AT&T that the Samsung active is shatter resistant, that tellsounds me it is durable I am a 63 years on limited income with disability I need a phon

geminiman7

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to me with the non-active Edge 7!

I **just** purchased a brand new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge not even a full two days ago from my local T-Mobile store. I was sitting at a restaurant this morning and pulled the phone out of my pocket to make a quick call (it was NOT cracked), and slipped it back into my pocket a couple of minutes later (I was only talking on the phone for under two minutes). 30 minutes later, I pulled the phone out of my pocket just to Google a sports score update, and noticed that the screen had cracked at the very bottom. The crack appears to originate from what I believe is an antenna notch (there are two white notches directly underneath the S7 Edge that I'm pretty sure are related to the antenna).

I left the restaurant and immediately called the store where I purchased it from and explained the situation. They said that the only thing they could do is have me pay $200 to have the phone replaced through insurance. I PAID $780 FOR THE DARN THING!!!!! When I said "that's insane, I haven't even owned the phone a full two days", they suggested that I call Samsung.

I then called Samsung. Long story short, the rep told me that Samsung has "temporarily placed a suspension" on "this type" of repair (whatever that means), and that I needed to call Samsung back at a later date and "try again." They did give me a call reference number, but I got absolutely NOWHERE with T-Mobile or Samsung.

I have no idea what to do. I have a brand-spanking new S7 Edge that I've barely touched, and the screen just spontaneously cracked for absolutely NO reason at all.

I did notice that the phone was getting very hot when charging via the original, OEM rapid charger that came with the phone. As someone who has worked in the technical support industry for more than 20 years (supporting mobile devices like this), I think it's a heat-related issue. Keep in mind that when the phone is charging, it's simply sitting on a table in a very cool, dry office. It was never dropped, bumped, or under ANY kind of physical pressure whatsoever during the 1 1/2 days that I've owned it so far.

Highly upset and frustrated. I paid full carrier price ($800+ including tax) for this phone, and they're asking an addition $200 to replace it. This isn't even a tablet!!!!!!!

Not sure what to do...

Kordell1991

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
So I just got off the phone with Samsung and after being very polite and persistent with them they are taking care of my situation. I won't mention the exact details, but I will continue to recommend Samsung products. I would recommend dealing with Samsung on this one. I think they have a problem with the S7 Active LCD/Digitizer/Outer Glass unit. Hopefully, this is an issue limited to the early adopters and not a design flaw in the product itself.

If I can persuade my family to transition to another carrier rather than AT&T I will be pleased. My phone broke 4 days after purchase and all AT&T would do is chant "physical damage". All they did is waste my time. As the retailer who sold me my phone, they should have at least investigated my claims. I was even treated with sarcasm by a rep in the store about how I wouldn't be able to buy a car, wreck it, and return it...

I'm an ***** (why is toidi <- backwards, censored, lol) and never took any photos, but I can describe it. My crack originated from the back button and stretched probably 3/4 the way to the edge of the screen. The initial crack looked just like a christmas tree high density, white, fine cracks forming from the back button and becoming fewer as you move to the edge of the phone. From there a few long cracks splintered, just as you would expect glass to, from that initial crack then around the center of the screen and some at the bottom of the screen under the buttons.

I hope my experience helps someone else, and as GSCMont pointed out, might become extra data used to indicate a real problem Samsung might have on their hands. I will come back to this thread and answer any questions anyone else might have... Good luck everyone! Don't back down, but be polite!

Just wondering on how you got threw it so easy I have the same problem I was like a white desalination between the back button and home. And it cracked before I could prove it to att. But samsung is treating me like a criminal thinking I beat it with a hammer. They have escalated my problem twice and no one will call me back

CharlieRae

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Mine exploded. And it took 2 days to get through samsung sea of imbeciles to find a woman who cared that their phone just about set the house on fire, and that no I do not have a Samsung note yes I'm sure it's the S7 active. It's ridiculous it's not even a week old!

SunnySage

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Same problem; same answer, from both Samsung and AT&T. Phone less than 30 days old. Was NOT dropped onto hard surface. Previous S3 & S6 lasted for YEARS without any damage. Would be grateful for future posts, advice you might be able to offer. VERY disappointed.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine exploded. And it took 2 days to get through samsung sea of imbeciles to find a woman who cared that their phone just about set the house on fire, and that no I do not have a Samsung note yes I'm sure it's the S7 active. It's ridiculous it's not even a week old!

What the....
Hope there were no injuries.

Wendaroo2

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm brand new at this too and after reading the last post I decided to reach out. The first thing I saw it was on the front of my screen which also appeared to be a hair it turned out to be a crack on my S7 Edge from one side to the other. The phone was not dropped and I have no understanding of why this happened. Then yesterday I turned my phone over and looked at the back of my screen which I often do because I put my phone down face down and noticed there's a giant crack from one corner to the other and spider-like cracks Fanning out from it on the back of the phone. What the heck is going on is anybody else having this problem and what recourse do we have? The insurance is $200 but of course I have to turn in my phone and get someone else's refurbished phone and start all over and I never drop my phone. Does anybody have any advice. This is so unfair there's obviously something wrong with the design that this is happening almost identical to the Post I'm applying to which I realized is quite old but maybe someone else is having this problem. Very frustrating I couldn't be more careful with this thing it's brand new. 304 months old

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174