Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
The problems is that I use my phone just as you described it, except that I never pass 4 hours of sot. How do you explain that ? Your phone is a super heroe and mine as a defectuous battery ??

84373179d599cf4809027c0509c071cf.jpg
%

I have no idea. I'm at 38% today and 4.5 hours of OST. Should work out to about
7+ hours. I'm using web browsing and YouTube all day, continously, with 4GLTE. No WiFi. Now yes that less then 9-10 but I'm only using 4glte, dipping from 4-3 bars, and I'm outside in the bright sun so it's at full brightness. No phone calls made really either, just messaging. My lowest yet, but I'm dipping between signal strength today because I'm all over. Still great life.

I easily get 9 hours OST, and over 20 hours total, with WiFi mixed in.

I'm not lying to you for chirst sake. I was one of those guys who never understand how people were getting 7 hours on some of the older phones. So I'm not that guy. I'm telling you the truth. I've owned a lot of phones.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
And why the hell would I lie? Are you guys crazy? My s6 edge battery sucked. My s7 edge was OK in the beginning, but actually dam good after the software update for some reason. And this is the best I've gotten. I'm. Not some fan boy.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170501/84373179d599cf4809027c0509c071cf.jpg%

I have no idea. I'm at 38% today and 4.5 hours of OST. Should work out to about
7+ hours. I'm using web browsing and YouTube all day, continously, with 4GLTE. No WiFi. Now yes that less then 9-10 but I'm only using 4glte, dipping from 4-3 bars, and I'm outside in the bright sun so it's at full brightness. No phone calls made really either, just messaging. My lowest yet, but I'm dipping between signal strength today because I'm all over. Still great life.

I easily get 9 hours OST, and over 20 hours total, with WiFi mixed in.

I'm not lying to you for chirst sake. I was one of those guys who never understand how people were getting 7 hours on some of the older phones. So I'm not that guy. I'm telling you the truth. I've owned a lot of phones.
Well, I'm at 28% battery and only 3 hours sot. So far behind you. And the worst is that I haven't used my phone as heavily as you today. So frustrating.
c137780c9f49e741186b8f12b0e1c5b8.jpg

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone needs to pay close attention to not just SOT, but other usage on the phone. For example, the nearly 10-hour SOT that was posted earlier here, look at the app usage percent. It is extremely low. Whatever is eating up the active time has to be highly optimized. Also, it is very likely that the brightness of the screen is low. The stuff people post here is grossly misleading. The S8+ has okay battery life for mixed heavy usage, and is nothing to write home about. Plenty of phones out there are better. S8 is probably atrocious.
I regularly get 6hrs plus on my S8+. My screen brightness is normally around 25 percent indoors, and fairly high outdoors. Auto brightness on. Locations services and sync all on. Typically stream 30mins of Netflix at lunch at work. And I'm on LTE data all day. I've owned many phones over the year's. This phone gives me best battery life by far. Beating out my previous champ, the Note 4 by a good margin.

Forgot to mention, I also set screen res to QHD from day one. Using Snapdragon variant on T-Mobile

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In other words, stop being happy about your battery life. You are incorrect to be happy about your battery life. LOL

Look I'm no expert on these matters, all I know is that in my typical use on my S7 Edge, the battery lost percentage points at Double the rate that it loses them on my S8 Plus. All your fancy technical explanations will not change the fact that I know for a fact I'm getting nearly double the battery life that I was getting.

Right, I had an S7 edge and could never get anything near what I'm getting. It had decent battery life, but now I'm getting amazing battery life.
I had my S8+ connected to a strong WiFi signal and I never got more than 5 hours SoT before I returned it, and that was with mixed usage. I am also skeptical of those posting 7-8 hours SoT.

Besides, SoT is not a very good measurement of battery life. There are many factors that affect battery life, such as signal strength, app usage, background refresh of apps, etc.
I had mixed usage yesterday, 15 hours and 8.5 of that was SOT. Still had 10% left when I went to bed. That was a majority spent on WiFi. I have the screenshots if you want to see them. I've never gotten numbers like that before or any phone and I've been on the forums in the past wondering why I couldn't get numbers like that. I dunno, sorry your results weren't the same. What you're describing in your post is what I got with the S7 edge.
Well, I'm at 28% battery and only 3 hours sot. So far behind you. And the worst is that I haven't used my phone as heavily as you today. So frustrating.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170501/c137780c9f49e741186b8f12b0e1c5b8.jpg
It looks like you're roaming. Are you sure you have good signal? That will kill battery in a heartbeat.

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So far, we are seeing S8 and especially S8 Plus users saying their battery life is really good. There are exceptions though...
1. Some folks when we look at their screen shots...we are left to wonder how much they are really using the phone, the itnernet, apps, etc.
2. Some folks are turning on the battery saving tools, others are not and still getting great times...so we are left to wonder about that.
3. Some folks...and it appears to be more S8 then S8 plus are getting some really BAD battery times that are not consistent with other users, leaving us to wonder if their is a signal issue or something else.

For those S8 and S8 plus users...please continue to log your stats and particulary add contenxt..."this is how I used it" so we can get a better feel...Much appreciated!
P.S. Please do not forget to say if you are rocking an S8 or and S8 Plus....very frustrating when you do not say!

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My usage is mostly Facebook and chrome. Not using battery saver. All locations service's, sync, and Google now enabled. Screen set to QHD. S8+ on T-Mobile. On LTE most of the day or all day with fair to good signal. 6hours or more SoT. Note that when I used my LG V10 with same apps and same way I struggled to get 2hrs.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Not really going to track this much any more this is great for a work day. Not much screen time like 45 minutes. But you know I was working for a change.... Lol

I did put it in the Qii car charger on the way home but I streamed YouTube and Navigated using split screen. (Don't worry it was just a podcast I didn't really watch it.)

bd6c1f071c0c52bf216e82cba9f22bc0.jpg

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This is what I got last night. No I don't always get this. This is a first (probably a fluke). I usually average over 5 1/2 hrs SOT.
Screenshot_20170430-225226.jpgScreenshot_20170430-225244.jpg

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I didn't use phone enough to see it through to the end, but on one day I had nearly 4hrs SoT and 45 percent battery left. Had the pattern continued I would have been between 7 and 8hrs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Anthony