Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I would turn auto brightness off. And adjust your brightness yourself.
The lower you can live with it when you are inside the better off you will be as you know.

This is what Ive done on day 1. I set the brightness very low all day long (auto brightness off). It didn't solve anything.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you signal has a huge effect. When I'm getting a couple bars my life has only been 6:45 to 7 hours. So it does effect it a lot.

I accept this. Every source on the internet seem to say that the signal has a big impact. But then my signal must not be bad at all. If not how do you explain that I did not get better results on day 3, when i toggle airplane mode on to shut every radio signal besides wifi?

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing by using something like Package Disabler Pro to disable the bloat. You can make a Samsung fairly efficient if you turn off the junk you'll never use anyway.

I used package disabler on my s7 edge and it didn't help at all. I'm not using it on my s8+ and I have gotten 9 hours SOT at home on WiFi but on days I work I get nowhere near that. I've noticed the battery hardly drops at all with the screen on just visiting websites. I unplugged my phone at 100% on WiFi and used chrome, the android central app and some store shopping apps and with 35 minutes SOT I was at 99%. I use auto brightness, sync on, Bluetooth always on. I don't disable anything. Now in contrast when I'm not at home on WiFi or working the battery is dramatically different. This screenshot is after an 11 hour workday with no WiFi. My signal at work is in the mid to high range but my battery isn't that impressive here. Just like my s6 and s7 edge when I listen to local mp3 music for about an hour or two in the morning audioserver uses alot of battery. As soon as I shut off the music audioserver ends and my battery gets back to normal. I've never been able to figure out why listening to music uses so much battery. Anyway look at this screenshot and it's not as flashy as the 9 hours SOT I can get on WiFi but to me it's still impressive that I'm at 50% after 12 hours off the charger. My s6 and s7 edge would have died a few hours ago

Attachments

• 3097.jpg
    3097.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 32

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I used package disabler on my s7 edge and it didn't help at all. I'm not using it on my s8+ and I have gotten 9 hours SOT at home on WiFi but on days I work I get nowhere near that. I've noticed the battery hardly drops at all with the screen on just visiting websites. I unplugged my phone at 100% on WiFi and used chrome, the android central app and some store shopping apps and with 35 minutes SOT I was at 99%. I use auto brightness, sync on, Bluetooth always on. I don't disable anything. Now in contrast when I'm not at home on WiFi or working the battery is dramatically different. This screenshot is after an 11 hour workday with no WiFi. My signal at work is in the mid to high range but my battery isn't that impressive here. Just like my s6 and s7 edge when I listen to local mp3 music for about an hour or two in the morning audioserver uses alot of battery. As soon as I shut off the music audioserver ends and my battery gets back to normal. I've never been able to figure out why listening to music uses so much battery. Anyway look at this screenshot and it's not as flashy as the 9 hours SOT I can get on WiFi but to me it's still impressive that I'm at 50% after 12 hours off the charger. My s6 and s7 edge would have died a few hours ago
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I guess I'll give another try to the WiFi only thing to see if I can get good results. Your day at work seems like my everyday battery. Maybe even a little bit worse since I'd normally get at least 2hrs SOT with 50%. Makes me feel better all of a sudden.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I accept this. Every source on the internet seem to say that the signal has a big impact. But then my signal must not be bad at all. If not how do you explain that I did not get better results on day 3, when i toggle airplane mode on to shut every radio signal besides wifi?

Yeah that doesn't make sense on airplane mode your phone should've given you 24 hours SOT easy

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Here's a normal day at work for me. Off charger at 5am, 41% left at 842pm.

Attachments

• 375.jpg
    375.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 103

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Well after all those great days my battery got worse. I used to get 40 mins screen time and lose 4 percent. Not I'm losing almost 13 percent with that. My battery life has gone down. From 8-10 hours OST to 7-8 at the most it seems like. Idk wtf is going on

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
The thing you don't understand is that iPhone are far better optimise on iOS than any Android is meaning batteries are more efficient and suck less power and they need less powerful processors and less ram than Android phones do. So they still have equally good performance or better than much higher spec android phones. Hence why the iPhone 7 blows the S8 out the water in benchmark tests. Plus their build quality is top notch but yes they're still overpriced. Yo compare it with a midrange Android like Blu is just being stupid. I think you need to be little more open minded?
I used iphones before but performance does not blow minds at all it performs well in single cores applications but since it has a dual core the muti core tests get trumped all over by the s8 + yes iphones are good for lazy people ie: those who don't wanna take 30 mins and set a device up like they want.battery efficiency is always dependent on your usage which is true for both platforms. In the end it's more because apple has a bigger ecosystem and is more well known brand people these days tend to stick with what they know too apple is riding on their fame atm they have nothing that android doesn't and btw dat 3d touch is the biggest gimmick of recent years imo.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Looks better today again. Must have had weak signal the other day. I'm on 4glte, high performance mode, auto brightness, sync and notifications on, and location off. All on screen time is chrome and YouTube today. I'm on pace for about 8:45 OST. So idk what was going in yesterday. Total time seems down though. I think my stand by time isn't as good as it was. That's the only issue.
292ad063098c1ba03703fb4d03c84422.jpg

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Take it off auto Brightness.
Go on the apps to battery and git rid of everything that is drawing battery.

Install Greenify and turn it on.

Last edited:

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Take it off auto Brightness.
Go on the apps to battery and git rid of everything that is drawing battery.

Install Greenify and turn it on.
Nah ik good. I donr use grenify. I've had nothing but problems honestly with stuff like that. Appreciate the advice but I'm getting 7-10 hours OST. I'm fine. If it dips below 7 then maybe I'll turn off auto brightness.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see the euphoria wearing off. I think some individuals that were seeing (what would qualify for) extreme battery life performance are now recognizing that the devices are settling into a pattern that is not nearly as good as what was being shown originally.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
READ THIS SOME OF YOU WILL REALLY LIKE IT !!!!

Ok so here is something interesting. I am in the middle of an experiment to find out the reason why everyone in here gets an average of 8 hours SOT and I barely get half go that on my s8+. There is something dragon the battery on my phone without me noticing it and I need to find out out. To that effect, I started a "discard" approach, why I try every suggestion I am getting from you guys one by one to see which will affect my battery life. Here is where I stand so far:

- On day 1, I toggled off all the battery intensive features that you guys mentioned such as Wifi, bluetooth, locations, auto brightness. I set the luminosity of the phone at a fixed 30% throughout the entre day. But unfotunately the results were the same: a disappointing 4 hours of SOT.

- On day 2, I decide to attack another suggestion of yours: that my phone is defectuous and that I should exchange it. To be honest, I did not believe in it even before starting because this is an issue that I have been having since my S7 edge. So I took my wives S8, installed all my settings on it, and I got a disappointing 4 hours of SOT. Defectuous phone theory discarded. This also means that we can disregard the Factory Reset theory.

- On day 3 (today) I tried to see if most of you were right. Many of you tell me that all my problems are due to my carrier signal, coupled with the fact that I am roaming. I actually believed it could be true, and I wanted to get a local sim card from a different carrier to test it out. But I ended up doing even better!!!! This morning when I arrived at the office, I unplugged my phone 100% charged and immediately set it on airplane mode with Wifi on. No phone radio at all! And I used the phone just as I would any normal day. Well guess what ??!!! A disappointing 4 hours of SOT.

I only have a few ideas left to test, and here is what I plan to do in the next few days.

- On day 4, I will toggle off the Sync on my phone. The reason why I am doing this is to find out if some kind of sync is draining my battery in the background. Maybe the google backups, my email client, the fact that I have my phone synched with my iCloud email contacts and calendars... Let's see if this makes a difference. \

- If it does not, on day 5, I will reconsider the whole way I use my phone. To that effect, I will delete the app that I use the most: Instagram. I will do a normal day except I will not browse instagram from my phone to see if the routines I have are the problem and my battery drain is relative to the way I use my phone on an everyday basis.

- If this does not help, on day 6, 7, 8 and 9, I will be willing to try anything that any of you here might suggest between now an then. I would particularly like to hear from Erasat, who has helped me a lot in the past two years trying to solve my issues with bad SOT, but I'd be glad to hear from anyone else too.

If nothing of this ends up working and I never identify my problem, three things will happen then:

- I will cry myself to sleep until I heal and start feeling better (might need to see a shrink to treat my battery anxiety for that)
- In order to feel better, I will convince myself that all of you were in need of money to finish the month, and that you accepted a bribe from samsung to post crazy SOT on forums all over the world wide web (Im only half joking here)
- I will buy a car charger and live with this burden for the rest of my days.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steven
Alright another day, another test.
Today I toggled off the Sync to see if there was something stealthily draining my bad.
Result: I managed to get 4h30 of sot instead of 4 hours. Still crappy right ? I bet those of you with the 8 hour sot would have given you an extra 4 hours if you had done the same.

So the struggle continues.
Tomorrow is the greenify test. Let's see the impact.
Everyday I'm closer and closer to believe that you all work for Samsung here.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I used iphones before but performance does not blow minds at all it performs well in single cores applications but since it has a dual core the muti core tests get trumped all over by the s8 + yes iphones are good for lazy people ie: those who don't wanna take 30 mins and set a device up like they want.battery efficiency is always dependent on your usage which is true for both platforms. In the end it's more because apple has a bigger ecosystem and is more well known brand people these days tend to stick with what they know too apple is riding on their fame atm they have nothing that android doesn't and btw dat 3d touch is the biggest gimmick of recent years imo.

What are you talking about? The iPhone 7 has a 4 core processor. Its performance in multicore benchmarks is only slightly behind the S8 while the single core benchmarks completely destroy the S8. Let me also tell you that I've used Android phones for several years from the very start of Android. I've flashed custom roms and kernels almost every day, rooted and customized to excess. Then I switched to the iPhone 6 and didn't look back. Everything just works out of the box without the hassle of customization. I could finally relax and concentrate on using apps. And I didn't have to worry every day, if it was going to be a good or bad battery day (like bad hair day). Because other than the iPhone I always found battery life on Android inconsistent as there are very often apps draining power in the background. But I respect the progress Android has made over the years.

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting to see the euphoria wearing off. I think some individuals that were seeing (what would qualify for) extreme battery life performance are now recognizing that the devices are settling into a pattern that is not nearly as good as what was being shown originally.
8 days in, mine is still good.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
What are you talking about? The iPhone 7 has a 4 core processor. Its performance in multicore benchmarks is only slightly behind the S8 while the single core benchmarks completely destroy the S8. Let me also tell you that I've used Android phones for several years from the very start of Android. I've flashed custom roms and kernels almost every day, rooted and customized to excess. Then I switched to the iPhone 6 and didn't look back. Everything just works out of the box without the hassle of customization. I could finally relax and concentrate on using apps. And I didn't have to worry every day, if it was going to be a good or bad battery day (like bad hair day). Because other than the iPhone I always found battery life on Android inconsistent as there are very often apps draining power in the background. But I respect the progress Android has made over the years.
My bad for the dual core part (i don't watch stuff about iphones didn't know) though I've tried iphones 3 times(4s,5,6 plus) i always miss to be able to have more on my home screen + i like to put things wherever i want options and android always worked for me no matter how many years i've had the phone and my battery always was standard duration i'd say (4-5 ost) my usage vary so does charge. Overall, never was disappointed with android and without options i get too bored of the UI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana