Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm still good too. I'm getting 7.45-8 hours on 4glte with all settings maxed out besides location on. I never leave that on. And 10 hours OST on WiFi. That's fine by me. I had one bad day where my signal must have been screwy.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Interesting to see the euphoria wearing off. I think some individuals that were seeing (what would qualify for) extreme battery life performance are now recognizing that the devices are settling into a pattern that is not nearly as good as what was being shown originally.
Nah just one bad day. 7. 45 - 8 hours OST on strictly 4glte. 10 hours OST on WiFi, average over an hour OST per 10 percent actually on WIFI as you can see below

96082c8c36dbde8c2bf4409e60a3bd11.jpg

If I mix it up and use WiFi and 4glte I get anywhere from 8.5-9.5 hours OST.

Last edited:

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I used iphones before but performance does not blow minds at all it performs well in single cores applications but since it has a dual core the muti core tests get trumped all over by the s8 + yes iphones are good for lazy people ie: those who don't wanna take 30 mins and set a device up like they want.battery efficiency is always dependent on your usage which is true for both platforms. In the end it's more because apple has a bigger ecosystem and is more well known brand people these days tend to stick with what they know too apple is riding on their fame atm they have nothing that android doesn't and btw dat 3d touch is the biggest gimmick of recent years imo.
Agreed 100%. An iPhone is nothing to brag about. I've been hearing this optimization crap for years now. That blanket statement doesn't apply anymore.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Alright another day, another test.
Today I toggled off the Sync to see if there was something stealthily draining my bad.
Result: I managed to get 4h30 of sot instead of 4 hours. Still crappy right ? I bet those of you with the 8 hour sot would have given you an extra 4 hours if you had done the same.

So the struggle continues.
Tomorrow is the greenify test. Let's see the impact.
Everyday I'm closer and closer to believe that you all work for Samsung here.
Buddy if you're still getting only 4.3 hours of on screen time you need to return the phone. That's not normal. It's impossible unless you are getting 1-2 bars, with maybe a 3 thrown in here and there, max ALL DAY LONG and have no WiFi running on top of it. With say maybe max brightness all the way up at all times. No auto. And location on.

If this phones battery had 4 hours OST, as in the actual battery life that everyone was getting including myself, I'd return it immediately and get another brand. Samsung would probably be in serious **** too. They'd never release a the s8 or + with that battery life. It would be a disaster. Especially after the note fiasco. They'd say one blows up, and the that doesn't can't hold a charge. Their most powerful phone ever has only 4 hours OST. Can't imagine that. It's crazy and would be the downfall of samsung.

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Got my regular S8 and have been using it for the last 4 days. Location turned on (battery saving), sync on (multiple email accounts), brightness set around 40%, AOD on, wifi on roughly 30% of the time and rest with LTE. Been getting 8.5hrs of usage with 3.5 to 4 hr SOT and 1-1.5hr phone calls. Coming from an iPhone 7 which consistently gave me 6.5-7hr usage. Only thing am dreading with my S8 is the battery performance on roaming when I travel.
Surprised by the overnight AOD stand by endurance of the S8. Seem to be losing just about 4-5% over 8hours. Well done Samsung!
This will turn out to be a happy purchase if these figures remain consistent over time (something my iPhone 7 did over the last 6 months)!
Looking at some of S8+ owners post, I feel S8 is short of 2-2.5hours of usage. Not bad for a phone that has a much smaller footprint and easy to operate with one hand.
a45a25c9194aa071e3e1aa3241e0625e.jpg

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Agreed 100%. An iPhone is nothing to brag about. I've been hearing this optimization crap for years now. That blanket statement doesn't apply anymore.

This is such an ignorant comment it's laughable. Maybe you should go buy an iPhone and really compare it. Bash on Apple all you want and praise Android or Samsung or whatever, but an iPhone is always going to be an optimized device, and an Android will never be one, not unless it's a Google Pixel device. That is the only Android device that actually compares to the iPhone when it comes to optimizing the software for the hardware. Seeing as I have no loyalty to any brand I am at least more objective about the pros and cons of each platform. Next you'll tell me how Android apps have comparable quality and performance to those on iOS.

Anyway, back on topic, battery life and all that. I'm up to about 6h-6.5h SOT now on regular basis with my S8+, so I'm getting to be in line with my S7 Edge. No improvement but at least it seems to have settled into about the same battery life as what I had before. Only thing I keep disabled is AOD as it needlessly drains my battery during idle time. I also had this generally disabled on my S7 Edge. I bet if I was not using Snapdragon chip I'd be able to squeeze out another 30-60 minutes.

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Alright another day, another test.
Today I toggled off the Sync to see if there was something stealthily draining my bad.
Result: I managed to get 4h30 of sot instead of 4 hours. Still crappy right ? I bet those of you with the 8 hour sot would have given you an extra 4 hours if you had done the same.

So the struggle continues.
Tomorrow is the greenify test. Let's see the impact.
Everyday I'm closer and closer to believe that you all work for Samsung here.

Are you using S8 or S8+ ? Cos your stats are very similar to what am getting on my S8.

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Pretty happy with my S8. Been getting 3.5-4hrs on SOT with location on, LTE on, sync on and 1 to 2 hours of voice calls. Been clocking 8hrs of usage thru a 15hr day. Am getting impressive AOD stand by endurance overnight with just 4-5% drain over 8 hrs. Screenshot_20170506-104120.jpg

Soggly

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems to be getting better somehow, my screen on time at 80 percent is a little crazy, really wonder how they did it

Attachments

• 3184.jpg
    3184.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 29

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is on my s8+ everything on no power saving about 8:30am to 12 midnight then wake up next day with 20%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170506-093352.jpg
    Screenshot_20170506-093352.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 79

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Buddy if you're still getting only 4.3 hours of on screen time you need to return the phone. That's not normal. It's impossible unless you are getting 1-2 bars, with maybe a 3 thrown in here and there, max ALL DAY LONG and have no WiFi running on top of it. With say maybe max brightness all the way up at all times. No auto. And location on.

If this phones battery had 4 hours OST, as in the actual battery life that everyone was getting including myself, I'd return it immediately and get another brand. Samsung would probably be in serious **** too. They'd never release a the s8 or + with that battery life. It would be a disaster. Especially after the note fiasco. They'd say one blows up, and the that doesn't can't hold a charge. Their most powerful phone ever has only 4 hours OST. Can't imagine that. It's crazy and would be the downfall of samsung.

I dont think its a problem with the phone because I used to have the same issue with my s7 edge (half the battery time compared to the people on this forum), and changing the s7 edge three times never solved the issue. Its something I do with the phone. Maybe signal I guess. But using the phone in airplane mode didn't help much so I wonder...

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Pretty happy with my S8. Been getting 3.5-4hrs on SOT with location on, LTE on, sync on and 1 to 2 hours of voice calls. Been clocking 8hrs of usage thru a 15hr day. Am getting impressive AOD stand by endurance overnight with just 4-5% drain over 8 hrs. View attachment 259297

Well, you have very similar results than me indeed. I get maybe 20-30 mins more of SOT than you, but why are you happy with this? People on this forum get between 7 and 10 hours of SOT! Thats twice better than us.

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
To me 4hrs SOT with 1-2hrs of voice calls is quite impressive. Am using the S8 and not the S8+. The plus seems to be a true SOT champ. I am not sure if the smaller S8 variant can ever do 7 hrs of SOT.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Yep back to normal. This is with a couple hours WiFi and the rest 4glte
. Auto brightness, sync on, notifications on, and location off. High performance mode on.
773b660f13ff98a7d51813a19a4b2d28.jpg

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I dont think its a problem with the phone because I used to have the same issue with my s7 edge (half the battery time compared to the people on this forum), and changing the s7 edge three times never solved the issue. Its something I do with the phone. Maybe signal I guess. But using the phone in airplane mode didn't help much so I wonder...
That's extremely odd. It has to be something to do with your service or an application you keep installing or something. Who's your provider?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000