Galaxy Tab 10.1: firmware update

broadbill

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Update 1/27/14:

Success in updating, fixing the "not turning" off problem:

This is the solution/work around that worked for my--saw it on another Android forum and I am copying/pasting here so others who are having problems also see it:

[start copy/paste]:
Restart/will not shut down problem
To all that are having problems with their tab2's after a automatic software update;

I had problem with shutting down my tab and installing software update. I also couldn't factory reset my tab

After many calls to Samsung customer support, they finally came up with this solution that fixed my tab.

Hello Sir,

Here is how we installed the firmware update on your tablet

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
3. Choose to install later
4. Plug tablet in and shut down the system
5. Us the volume down and power button to boot into recovery
6. Choose update from Cache
7. Choose the Fota Options
8. choose install.zip
9. Let the install go through
10. Choose reboot system now and when the screen goes dark plug in the tablet.
11. Power the tablet back on and wait for tablet to update.

Thanks for calling Samsung
Agent 86438 Mark H. Samsung Rep

[end copy/paste]

I hope this can help others!

eznut

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
broadbill, I followed your steps and it did indeed resolve my issue.
Tried all of the above until I saw your post thanks!

svdroidguy

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Okay....looks like holding the power button down till the screen goes dark is the secret!! Just hitting the power off on the screen was not enough. Seems some of our Tabs are very stubborn! Now lets see if the update works ;)

Okay...did not work doing the original shut down 5-10 times deal. Tried Broadbills technique but was unable to boot into recovery....it would just start as normal....and not update. I guess I have a very unique problem as there seems to be nothing I can do to get this update.

Last edited:

svdroidguy

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
One thing to note. #4 above should say UNPLUG device as when you try to launch recovery mode with it plugged in....no go. So unplug at step #4. It is now FINALLY updating, though when I hit reboot after the download I got an ERROR! on the screen then it went black. Not sure why....seems to have worked!

dmaxwell564

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to update my tablet since before Christmas. I was very busy at work so I told myself that sometime after Christmas I would do a factory reset and try updating again. I am glad I read this thread before doing that. I tried the shut down workaround about 10 times but update still wouldn't work. Finally tried Broadbill's suggestion last. It worked! Thank you so much! so happy to have my tablet updated and that update message gone! :)

BobbyMa

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: firmware update

I don't have any external SD card...but tried everything else as stated...but with no luck. This sucks. I will never purchase another Samsung product...phone or tablet.

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks broadbill! FINALLY updating. Got it on the first try using your method. After trying other methods 20+ times... Finally relief.

Sent from my DNA

Last edited:

HSC Mom

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a WiFi version of the tablet and am just about ready to throw it out the window. I'm not seeing any update via the WiFi and Kies brings up a window that stays at 0% after it downloads the software to the PC. It reboots the tablet and just sits (and I let it sit for over 30 minutes that way). I even tried the "Emergency recovery" but that just sat also.

I have been successful in shutting down the tablet while connected to the AC charger, but no update ever shows up (even after several startup/shutdown cycles). Help!

Update: Finally got it to work by booting into Recovery Mode and then using the "Emergency Firmware Recovery" via Kies. Went smoothly from there.

Last edited:

DLG425

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I followed your advice, finally got my tablet to shut down and it seemed to start the update just fine. Then all of a sudden it seemed to freeze on "Android is upgrading...Starting Apps." What now? I'm afraid to touch anything for fear of not being able to recover my stuff.

Bob Greene1

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Broadbills Update 1/27/14:

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
8. choose install.zip

Works, except mine would not go into recovery mode plugged into a power source. If it was unplugged, I could get the thing turned off and then rebooted holding the power and volume+down buttons. I released the power button when the "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2..." logo started flashing. Then followed the rest of the steps. It does seem to want to have the power plugged in to update after reboot.

This has been one of the more frustrating "upgrades". The upgrade to OS 4.2.2 went flawlessly. The firmware upgrade wouldn't install OTA or through KIES. Samsung online chat and phone support weren't much help. I got a supervisor on phone support who told me the server was busy so that was why the downloaded update wouldn't install. Don't tell chat support what your problem is. They have a checklist and will not deviate.

I had tried just ignoring the software update but it seemed that every other time I turned the tablet on, it wanted to update.
!

DLG425

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply! Like you, I couldn't get it to go into recovery mode while plugged in. So that is one step closer, but it still froze in the same spot.

Alec Miller

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm stuck at this point too and I'm afraid I've bricked my tablet. After I install the update from the fota folder, i can choose to reboot and it doesn't reboot. it also says error right before it attempts to reboot.

Team5D

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Update 1/27/14:

Success in updating, fixing the "not turning" off problem:

This is the solution/work around that worked for my--saw it on another Android forum and I am copying/pasting here so others who are having problems also see it:

[start copy/paste]:
Restart/will not shut down problem
To all that are having problems with their tab2's after a automatic software update;

I had problem with shutting down my tab and installing software update. I also couldn't factory reset my tab

After many calls to Samsung customer support, they finally came up with this solution that fixed my tab.

Hello Sir,

Here is how we installed the firmware update on your tablet

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
8. choose install.zip

Thanks for calling Samsung
Agent 86438 Mark H. Samsung Rep

[end copy/paste]

I hope this can help others!

Thanks! This is the only suggestion that finally worked for me!

LMBTEch

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Tried all the afore mentioned methods and only one of them worked for me, the offline cached method worked.
Thank you so much for this information, I searched hi and low for months for a resonable solution to this issue. I rely on this device and it now has come back to be a great tool with my daily work.

Thanks so much,

Lario

LMB Tech.

blt4al

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, cahls

I don't have an external SD card in my Galaxy Tab 2. Will this procedure still work?

I'm seeing the same behavior as most on here - update doesn't work with OR without Kies - and I would really like to get the update. Sorry if I come across as an Android (and Samsung) newbie...I am.

Thanks,

blt4al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeera