Galaxy Tab 10.1: firmware update

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It should... Try mine and follow it closely and several times. My method worked for lots of people. If it doesn't work, your in the same position you're in now as it can not harm your tablet like the recovery mode methods. You need to know what you're doing if you go that route... I do root devices and work in the boot loader too but if you want to try those, I'd recommend you use the XDA Developers site... It is far more serious, technical, and detailed...

Posted via Android Central App
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Kona Kanaka

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem: Tab 2 10.1 wouldn't complete shut down (just rebooted), wouldn't stream or play downloaded movies from Google Play and wouldn't complete firmware update, even with Kies. No help from Samsung support. After trying a variety of actions they punted and passed me onto Google support. Google support was aware of the problem and claimed to be working with Samsung to resolve. No idea when problem would be fixed. Was happy to stumble on your post cahls. Followed the instructions. The update was successful. Was able to complete power down and play Google play movies even with the SD card re-installed and mounted. Thank you very much cahls and thank you to the folks you got the info from.

vfsurvivor

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem: Tab 2 10.1 wouldn't complete shut down (just rebooted), wouldn't stream or play downloaded movies from Google Play and wouldn't complete firmware update, even with Kies. No help from Samsung support. After trying a variety of actions they punted and passed me onto Google support. Google support was aware of the problem and claimed to be working with Samsung to resolve. No idea when problem would be fixed. Was happy to stumble on your post cahls. Followed the instructions. The update was successful. Was able to complete power down and play Google play movies even with the SD card re-installed and mounted. Thank you very much cahls and thank you to the folks you got the info from.

rayador

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As my Tab 2 10.1 absolutely refused to "turn off", but always re-booted instantly, I had to modify the Samsung Rep Mark's procedure a bit -- and got a scare in the process -- but all DID work! ...thanks to Broadbill for posting this "official Samsung method".

My modification:

at step 4, where it says (unplugged, according to svdriodguy's subsequent post) "UNplug tablet and SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM" -- well, my system wouldn't shut down, as always, so I pushed-in and held volume-down and power buttons per step 5 before it started to automatically repower-up... and Viola! it did give a DOS-like text-screen, showing it's into the recovery process, with the step-by-step choices shown in steps 6 and 7.

Here's where it got a bit scary: the option which I was to select in step 8 did NOT show up! ...no "install.zip", but only "update.zip" -- so in faith, I selected THAT one, and (whew!) it did proceed to go thru a very slow install, with various text-lines of status showing up (I swore it was "hung-up" a few times, but nope, just takes forever... give it LOTS of time to update system and hidden files, etc...).

Then when I did the step 10 "reboot system now", it seemed to take forever to start up again -- and the displayed "battery" went thru a couple of graphical changes till it looked like it usually does... and then, I was back to my usual log-in screen.

Checking whether the device was finally up-to-date (from "About Device" screen, tap on "software update" then "update") and it says "the latest updates have already been installed".

AND: now using "power off" during shutdown, it actually STAYS "off" !!!!

success.

Hope these slight modifications, and reports of procedure-differences, helps others.
Wayne

rayador

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As my Tab 2 10.1 absolutely refused to "turn off", but always re-booted instantly, I had to modify the Samsung Rep Mark's procedure a bit -- and got a scare in the process -- but all DID work! ...thanks to Broadbill for posting this "official Samsung method".

My modification:

at step 4, where it says (unplugged, according to svdriodguy's subsequent post) "UNplug tablet and SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM" -- well, my system wouldn't shut down, as always, so I pushed-in and held volume-down and power buttons per step 5 before it started to automatically repower-up... and Viola! it did give a DOS-like text-screen, showing it's into the recovery process, with the step-by-step choices shown in steps 6 and 7.

Here's where it got a bit scary: the option which I was to select in step 8 did NOT show up! ...no "install.zip", but only "update.zip" -- so in faith, I selected THAT one, and (whew!) it did proceed to go thru a very slow install, with various text-lines of status showing up (I swore it was "hung-up" a few times, but nope, just takes forever... give it LOTS of time to update system and hidden files, etc...).

Then when I did the step 10 "reboot system now", it seemed to take forever to start up again -- and the displayed "battery" went thru a couple of graphical changes till it looked like it usually does... and then, I was back to my usual log-in screen.

Checking whether the device was finally up-to-date (from "About Device" screen, tap on "software update" then "update") and it says "the latest updates have already been installed".

AND: now using "power off" during shutdown, it actually STAYS "off" !!!!

success.

Hope these slight modifications, and reports of procedure-differences, helps others.
Wayne

Steven Sobel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: firmware update

I had this same issue and found it to be related to not staying off when shutdown. I found (in other posts) to get normal shutdowns, you needed to remove the external sd card. Unmount it and power down, not a reboot or restart. Do this on external AC power and cycle 3-4 normal shutdowns while remaining on AC power. After I did these things, my firmware update finally completed successfully. It is a good update fixing many issues like the shutdown one... I had been reading, searching, and had even called Samsung with no luck till I tried resolving the tablet to get a normal shutdown- which is what is causing the update to fail...

This fix is perfect!...I followed your instructions, and im updated...after months of aggravation, its fixed!...thank you

str3tchb0y

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Works, except mine would not go into recovery mode plugged into a power source. If it was unplugged, I could get the thing turned off and then rebooted holding the power and volume+down buttons. I released the power button when the "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2..." logo started flashing. Then followed the rest of the steps. It does seem to want to have the power plugged in to update after reboot.

This has been one of the more frustrating "upgrades". The upgrade to OS 4.2.2 went flawlessly. The firmware upgrade wouldn't install OTA or through KIES. Samsung online chat and phone support weren't much help. I got a supervisor on phone support who told me the server was busy so that was why the downloaded update wouldn't install. Don't tell chat support what your problem is. They have a checklist and will not deviate.

I had tried just ignoring the software update but it seemed that every other time I turned the tablet on, it wanted to update.
!

This worked for me too. I had to be unplugged and then I could access recovery and odin mode. Thanks Bob and Broadbills

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, finally I've got my update installed! It's not the 4.4.4 but the 4.2.2 which is the version I already had on my table, I guess this fix some issues... I says it was released in November 2013.
Thank you Broadbill for the instructions of how to do it, it worked the firsts time with no problem.
I would add that once you download the update and select install later, you hold the power button for a few seconds with the power cord connected, it would shut down the tablet and you would see the battery logo charging, then you can start the sequence as indicated in broadbill post ( and several others afterwards).
I tried the other method of removing the sd card and shutting down but it did not work for me.

I can't believe that samsung still don't know how to fix this problem, I chatted live a couple of times and all they advised me is to install and re-install the kies software, they have no clue whatsoever even though its been over six months since this update has been released!!!!:(
Thank god for these forums and people like Broadbill so we can get this issues resolved!:D

Phillips9

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I have the new Note 10.1 2014 and now have the same problem. Using the off button does not help, the device just restarts with the failed upgrade message. The manual I downloaded says remove the battery?
Please help someone

I pressed off+vol+home because I am now frustrated.

The screen now looks like this

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-P601
CURRENT BINARY:CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
WARRANTY BIT: 1

DOWNLOADING
Do not turn off target!!!!

will this work and if it is really updating how long? Should I leave it connected to power?

URGENT URGENT

Last edited:

baileybc2007

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I was online today with the Samsung tablet tech and about to throw in the towel on the MH2 to MK3 upgrade to fix the constant reboot issue. While the tech kept me looping through the Recovery Mode options, we could not reboot the GT-P5113 Tab back to a running condition. While getting the details on how to get the tab to a service center for repairs, I noticed the post about running the tab from the AC power cord, rather than from the USB to computer connection. After making the change to the AC power, I was able to reboot correctly. The first upload of the MK3 upgrade did not take, but I replaced the SD card that had been removed and uploaded the upgrade easily. There may be some benefit in delaying install until later (as was earlier reported) and selecting the 'install from external file' option while in Recovery Mode. I elected to install immediately rather than wait, and after what appeared to be two more update sessions with Mr. Android and his spinning tummy, the upgrade worked just fine. Maybe the SD card is required for the upgrade to install and I bet if I have a look at that SD card, there will be the .zip. install file.

Anyway, thanks for all the excellent posts and noting the importance of using the AC to tablet connection, not via USB to computer and the apparent need of the SD card to store the uploaded .zip. The MK3 is now installed and tablet is happy again.:D

baileybc2007

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

I have the new Note 10.1 2014 and now have the same problem. Using the off button does not help, the device just restarts with the failed upgrade message. The manual I downloaded says remove the battery?
Please help someone

I pressed off+vol+home because I am now frustrated.

The screen now looks like this

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-P601
CURRENT BINARY:CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
WARRANTY BIT: 1

DOWNLOADING
Do not turn off target!!!!

will this work and if it is really updating how long? Should I leave it connected to power?

URGENT URGENT

Like you, I was at the ODIN prompt this afternoon and eventually got out. If you hold down the power tab for 60 seconds, and then release it, you likely will return to the Recovery Mode. Once in Recovery, plug the tablet into the AC power cord, not the USB to computer. Follow Broadbill and Team5D to load the upgrade onto the tablet using your WiFi when connected to the AC line. My tablet seemed to go through two iterations of the upgrade, and now works fine. You can get your tablet back to good working conditions by following one or more of the successful methods listed in these posts. The trick is connection only to AC and WiFi. Good Luck.

Phillips9

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Like you, I was at the ODIN prompt this afternoon and eventually got out. If you hold down the power tab for 60 seconds, and then release it, you likely will return to the Recovery Mode. Once in Recovery, plug the tablet into the AC power cord, not the USB to computer. Follow Broadbill and Team5D to load the upgrade onto the tablet using your WiFi when connected to the AC line. My tablet seemed to go through two iterations of the upgrade, and now works fine. You can get your tablet back to good working conditions by following one or more of the successful methods listed in these posts. The trick is connection only to AC and WiFi. Good Luck.
Thank you Bailybc. I may be a clot but cant find the post from Broadbill or Teamsd. please tell me where to go.SORRY FOUND BOTH

Last edited:

baileybc2007

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

Once you get your tab out of Recovery Mode, the rest will be easy after you plug into the AC and use WiFi for the upgrade. I suspect that Kies Air may work as well, but I ran into the same 0% install clock when tethered to PC by USB cable to tablet. Will get the Broadbill post after coffee.
Team5D Thread:
Update 1/27/14:

Success in updating, fixing the "not turning" off problem:

This is the solution/work around that worked for my--saw it on another Android forum and I am copying/pasting here so others who are having problems also see it:

[start copy/paste]:
Restart/will not shut down problem
To all that are having problems with their tab2's after a automatic software update;

I had problem with shutting down my tab and installing software update. I also couldn't factory reset my tab

After many calls to Samsung customer support, they finally came up with this solution that fixed my tab.

Hello Sir,

Here is how we installed the firmware update on your tablet

1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
3. Choose to install later
4. Plug tablet in and shut down the system
5. Us the volume down and power button to boot into recovery
6. Choose update from Cache
7. Choose the Fota Options
8. choose install.zip
9. Let the install go through
10. Choose reboot system now and when the screen goes dark plug in the tablet.
11. Power the tablet back on and wait for tablet to update.

Thanks for calling Samsung
Agent 86438 Mark H. Samsung Rep

[end copy/paste]

I hope this can help others!

baileybc2007

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

Be sure you have the SD card installed prior to downloading the upgrade. The tablet should turn off when you hold down the power button, and you will see the battery image. Unplug the AC line and restart the tablet, download and install the update.

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I have a tab 2 10.1 on ATT, still on 4.1.2 OTA and Kies says the software is up to date. Anyone on ATT get the update?

edit: according to the AT&T rep i just chatted with, no tab 2 10.1 has 4.2.2 or 4.3, and they dont plan on it either. Wow, AT&T is so smart...

Last edited:

garysch

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Your post really helped. Like others in previous posts, I could not update because Tab 2 would not shut down, It was your message that finally turned the light bulb on for my situation. Back in December after the automatic Samsung auto update, I found I could not install last subsequent update and could not shutdown unit, and it just kept running the battery down. As with others, Samsung was no help, they said us Kies, but like others didn't work for me. When experimenting, I discovered that when I had my HDMI docking cable plugged in, the unit would shut down. So... I plugged in the HDMI cable and went to the update file, and whalla! Update installed. Now unit will shut down. Everything seems to be working as advertised. Thanks to all for posting their experiences.

Kamala Dantuluri

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem and just tried using Kies to update. It doesn't work either. This is ridiculous. I lost faith in Samsung since the last update which disabled the ability to factory reset the device or to even turn it off (every attempt to turn it off just made it restart!). And now, I can't even update which I assume would alleviate those problems!

I used to hold only Google and Samsung high. Now I will only trust Google not to #$%^ up Android.

Chureta Vieira

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My tablet didn't shut down and I could not install the new firmware available on Samsung Website after the last update I made last January... But finally 6 months later I could save the problem.
I was able to make the update today. Now my tablet works perfectly... it shut down normally and I could install the new firmware.
The procedure I used is a mix of some posts that I read here. So thank you all for your posts...

First I tested a way TO SHOW DOWN the tablet.
While using the tablet normally press the POWER button so the screen gets locked. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Then with the black screen press again the POWER button. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Now it shows the "welcome screen" that you need to swipe to unlock.
But DO NOT SWIPE. Just press again the POWER button but leave it pressed until appear the menu saying Restart / Plane Mode / Shut Down.
Select SHUT DOWN and the tablet shuts down... It worked for me.

Second TO INSTALL NEW FIRMWARE
Go to settings / about device.
Search for new updates and let the Tablet make the download.
After de download is complete, say Yes to install the update.
Just after that the tablet says that will restart in 30 seconds.
After the message and before it restarts for itself, you press the POWER button for less than 1 second, just to lock the screen
Then with the black screen press again the POWER button. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Now it shows the "welcome screen" that you need to swipe to unlock.
But DO NOT SWIPE. Just press again the POWER button but leave it pressed until appear the menu saying Restart / Plane Mode / Shut Down.
Select Restart.
After restart I swipe to unlock the screen and there was still the message saying that the Tablet will restart, I selected restart (or wait).
In this second restart appeared the Android Icon and a progress bar with Software Update.
When finished the tablet goes off.
After turn on the tablet by pressing the power button and it install some more updates and voila... it works perfectly.

Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tudi23