Google apps think I don't have a cell connection when I do.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This has never happened but today Android Auto said it was offline. I had 3 bars and it's never been a problem. I've never seen this before. I had bars, and it would make phone calls but it would not text (yes that worked when I used my my phone) and it wasn't just AA, even my maps couldn't connect from my phone. Same offline error. I have a Samsung S9. Everything is up to date. The maps works on my wifi at home. Help, I need my maps and music. (another weird thing it would bring up iHeart podcasts option but not the live radio.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to interrupt but based on the things you've said in your post it is absolutely possible that you didn't have a data connection. You said that you had 3 bars, explicitly mention a cell signal but at no time did you say your device displayed LTE, 3G, 4G or 1X, the things that would indicate that you had a data connection. Not to dismiss what B. Diddy was saying but hitting an open WiFi from your vehicle would be short lived at best.

Please consider the following... Cell signal, which is usually displayed in bars, does not transmit data or translate to data coverage. While most cell towers carry both cell and data service either one can be out of service leaving users with one or the other in a given area. Carriers try to blanket areas so that even if one tower goes down another will pick up the load but again either signal can be overwhelmed when this happens and under supply users. Most carriers no longer charge for Roaming, using another carrier's towers, so first I would ensure that you are set to roam on your device and in such apps as your SMS app. This will give you the best chance of getting a signal when you need it.

If you would like to reply to this thread and offer any other details please use the link B. Diddy has supplied and let us know more about your issue.