Google Assistant Update for S7 (where is it?)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay guys. I did a bit more testing and came to this conclusion.

It is not through a Google app update. In fact, the Google app has the Assistant all along ever since the Pixel became a thing. The Play Services update removes the requirement to have a Google Pixel device in the build.prop file.

However, it is still dependant on your Google account, as switching between accounts rendered different results. My main account caused the Google Assistant to pop up while the other just pulled up the Google Now feed, with no options to toggle Assistant.

TL;DR version: It's a server-side thing, dependant on your account.

8ill54

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I just got it on my s7, at first I thought it was though the google play services so I would have to wait until I got an update. However, all I did was go in to the google app, then google settings, then I got the assistant.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
my other phone, the antique Galaxy Note5 just got it....

still nothing on my Verizon S7... (perhaps I should take the Cricket SIM card out and put Verizon SIM back in? or does that make no difference)

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

still nothing on my Verizon S7... (perhaps I should take the Cricket SIM card out and put Verizon SIM back in? or does that make no difference)
It would not make a difference. It is based on each individual Google account.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Nope. If your S7 uses the same Google account as your Note 5 and it also runs the latest version of Play Services, you should have it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
To those of you who don't have GA yet but have the updated Google Services, did you try what I posted on page 4? Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not but it worked. I had the correct version but no GA till I did the reboot thing...

I got it, I GOT IT! Now what do I do with it? I Googled how to get GA and discovered I had to turn the phone off, hold down the power key till the Samsung logo appeared, release and then hold down the volume down button till the phone reboots. That's probably in one of the 4 pages of this thread....admittedly I haven't been paying a lot of attention concerning all the hoopla over GA.
Playing around with it and so far it seems like it does what Google did before but with an Amazon "Alexa" spin on it.

By the way, I'm in Texas.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Nope. If your S7 uses the same Google account as your Note 5 and it also runs the latest version of Play Services, you should have it.

interesting.... I always try to keep my phones separate, so whenever I buy a new Android phone, I create a brand new Gmail account for it. During the last several years, I have gone through 11 different phones and I've created 11 Gmail accounts. (on top of the 5 that I use on my computers and elsewhere on a regular basis)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To those of you who don't have GA yet but have the updated Google Services, did you try what I posted on page 4? Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not but it worked. I had the correct version but no GA till I did the reboot thing...

I got it, I GOT IT! Now what do I do with it? I Googled how to get GA and discovered I had to turn the phone off, hold down the power key till the Samsung logo appeared, release and then hold down the volume down button till the phone reboots. That's probably in one of the 4 pages of this thread....admittedly I haven't been paying a lot of attention concerning all the hoopla over GA.
Playing around with it and so far it seems like it does what Google did before but with an Amazon "Alexa" spin on it.

By the way, I'm in Texas.
Rebooting has nothing to do with getting the Assistant to work.

Like I said, it is dependent on your Google account. It's definitely so that your account got access while your phone was rebooting. You actually didn't need to do that.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Got the GA this morning on my S7, still not on my ZTE tablet, same google account. Still waiting for N to come to the S7 on USCC.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
GA still nowhere in sight on my G930T

• Running Nougat
  • East coast USA
  • Latest Google Play Services + Google app (not the betas)
Location doesn't matter. It's a staged rollout to accounts. Once your batch is hit you'll have it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Todar86