Google Nexus 6 Moto keylink

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto keylink

I'm upset that they are already out of stock, because I was going to do the exact same thing. I might have to stop by T-Mobile to see if they have any in stock.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Really neat but luckily for me I can't even remember the last time I misplaced or lost my keys or phone..... for $25 I'd buy one just for play... I'll keep an eye out for it later....

Plus I don't think I'll be misplacing this monster of a Nexus 6 anytime soon... I've been unable to feel my Nexus 5 in my pocket before but I don't think that will be a problem anymore....

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Really neat but luckily for me I can't even remember the last time I misplaced or lost my keys or phone..... for $25 I'd buy one just for play... I'll keep an eye out for it later....

Plus I don't think I'll be misplacing this monster of a Nexus 6 anytime soon... I've been unable to feel my Nexus 5 in my pocket before but I don't think that will be a problem anymore....

I haven't been in the habit of misplacing phones/keys, either, but would love this as a "trusted device."

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I haven't been in the habit of misplacing phones/keys, either, but would love this as a "trusted device."

Exactly. The misplaced phone part is nice, but really like the idea of having a trusted device on my key chain. Lollipop's new Smart Lock/Trusted Places functionality is nice to bypass the password, but I think I prefer using a trusted device.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I can see it being useful for that.. I don't use a pin or any other kind of password/screen lock.... For $25 I need to buy it and somehow glue it to the back of my daughters iPhone that has gone missing for days in our house with a dead battery and I can't find it....

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Had a 10% code from Motorola and used it to get one so I can have a trusted device. Not a bad price.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

That's exactly what I wanted it for. I have one on order from moto but I have to take my daughter to the mall this evening so might stop by Tmobile and see if they have any in stock. Then I'll use the other one to gift. I have a sister that this would be perfect for.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Anyone know what the range is on this as a 'trusted device'? Motorola claims the Keylink and the phone can 'ping' one another from up to 100' away - is that the same range?

Personally I wouldn't want a 'trusted device' to keep my phone unlocked if it's more than about 5' to 10' away. Given that the trusted device would generally be a keyfob, bluetooth headset, smartwatch, or car, any time those two aren't in that generally tighter proximity one probably wouldn't want it auto-unlocked anyway (the exception might be at home, but reports indicate one of the things slated for an update on the OS will be to allow trusted locations as well as trusted devices).

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Anyone know what the range is on this as a 'trusted device'? Motorola claims the Keylink and the phone can 'ping' one another from up to 100' away - is that the same range?

Personally I wouldn't want a 'trusted device' to keep my phone unlocked if it's more than about 5' to 10' away. Given that the trusted device would generally be a keyfob, bluetooth headset, smartwatch, or car, any time those two aren't in that generally tighter proximity one probably wouldn't want it auto-unlocked anyway (the exception might be at home, but reports indicate one of the things slated for an update on the OS will be to allow trusted locations as well as trusted devices).

I picked one up last night from a tmob store. It seems to work great. The range for trusted device with this seems to be on the short end from my testing. I'd say once you exceed 20-30 feet the phone seems to lock. I didn't do any specific distance testing but can when I get some time.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I picked one up last night from a tmob store. It seems to work great. The range for trusted device with this seems to be on the short end from my testing. I'd say once you exceed 20-30 feet the phone seems to lock. I didn't do any specific distance testing but can when I get some time.

Thanks. From my understanding, the 3 classes of Bluetooth have ranges of 2, 10, and 100 meters (the latter being primarily used in industrial equipment). I'd love to see one running on the 2m spec for more of a "personal-only" range.

Jamookie

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who has actually gotten one of these, I have a question. Does it make any noise when it drops the link or does it only make a sound when it is called with the app? I was wanting to get one as a cheap BT leash for my fathers phone. I figure if it could beep at you when the phone goes out of range, he might realize he left his phone when he's pulling out of the driveway.

As for the trusted device if you have root, and tasker, I have a config that will let you use anything as a trusted device if you don't have lollipop.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For anyone who has actually gotten one of these, I have a question. Does it make any noise when it drops the link or does it only make a sound when it is called with the app? I was wanting to get one as a cheap BT leash for my fathers phone. I figure if it could beep at you when the phone goes out of range, he might realize he left his phone when he's pulling out of the driveway.

As for the trusted device if you have root, and tasker, I have a config that will let you use anything as a trusted device if you don't have lollipop.
No it doesnt make a noise when you go out of range. Only when you call it via the app.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you use it in reverse? That is, can you get the keylink to send a signal to your phone so it will make a noise (for example, if you want to locate the phone)?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Can you use it in reverse? That is, can you get the keylink to send a signal to your phone so it will make a noise (for example, if you want to locate the phone)?
Yes there is a button on the keylink that does just that with the moto connect software.

mhaider

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I got mine today and I am liking it so far. I bought it to be used mainly as a trusted Bluetooth device. It paired with my Droid Maxx, but I had to turn it off then set my phone to search for bluetooth devices while I turned it back on. I like the size, I put it on a neck chain and wear it that way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk