Google Nexus 6 on Verizon

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy preorder

Why is the process so secretive? Im coming from a 5s and cant wait to get back to android, but it is a little frustrating not knowing what is actually going on.

Be happy you got a release date, over here in the UK we have no info except for its not available in your country

jdolci77

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I was actually debating between the nexus and the note 4, I decided on the nexus because I really wasnt too pumped about touchwiz (wife has an s4).

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Why is the process so secretive? Im coming from a 5s and cant wait to get back to android, but it is a little frustrating not knowing what is actually going on.

I think part of the secrecy is it just passed the FCC on Friday 10/24....... They put the Nexus Player up for sale and then it failed an FCC inspection and they had to pull it back to "Coming soon" and once it cleared put it back on preorder again.... I don't know if they hold back on full production until it passes the FCC or not.... I mean it would SUCK for the phone to fail and require you to replace something and then you have a million devices sitting around that have to all be redone...

I do not know all the regulations involved..... With most of your other flagship phones are sold through a carrier 99% of the time.... Yeah you can get an unlocked version but you usually have to pay a outrageous price..... With the Nexus 4 and 5 they went on sale with the play store roughly 7 - 10 days before it went on sale at carriers.... I'd venture to guess you'll start seeing carriers selling them next week for delivery more towards the middle of November.. (Guessing here)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Carrier Nexus 6 phones will have update delays !!

It says right there in the linked article and my quote that carrier versions might have delays, it couldn't be more clear.
Inconsistency doesn't lend credibility to an argument. And I'm not even talking about the article (didn't read it), but rather between what you just wrote there ("might have") and your thread title ("will have").

There is no absolute about what will have come to pass until it has passed.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon and pre-ordering on Wednesday

No one ones. In fact, EVERYTHING about the pre-ordering process/what carriers available for, etc is just a big mystery to everyone right now. I really hate that consumers have been put in the dark about the N6 (no solid reviews), ordering process (what time?) and all the carrier model unlocked/Store version, bloatware or not, etc etc etc etc etc.

Seems like it's going to be a very busy day tomorrow for everyone and by tomorrow afternoon/evening, I hope a lot of these questions will finally be answered.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I am sure this has been said many times, but I will say it again. My nexus 5 that I bought from tmobile is unbranded and exactly the same as the n5 sold via the play store. I am sure this will be the same.

maddy1213

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I got my att nano sim card already. they asked me just flip in the sim when i get the phone and activate it. google play store will sell country specific phones if international buyers want to buy phones they can get from motorola where you have global version which is compatible to asia and europe.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

I am sure this has been said many times, but I will say it again. My nexus 5 that I bought from tmobile is unbranded and exactly the same as the n5 sold via the play store. I am sure this will be the same.

yeah, ppl tend to want to ignore that, and keep taking speculation as fact when we have real example here that they want to ignore. ppl just need to claim down and stop taking everything they read on the Internet as facts. no one knows what will happen, we see the Verizon and sprint Galaxy nexus that had delay, but also the tmo Nexus 5 without. we just have to wait and see. I mean it's very simple, either you get the phone or not and stop worry so much on these things that you can't control.

Posted via the Android Central App

Akakurt

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon and pre-ordering on Wednesday

I'm actually kinda upset about it. The Droid Turbo was literally just announced today...and we have pricing, availability, and ordering information already. What gives??

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

You know, when an iOS update comes out, every single supported iPhone can grab it within minutes. That's the true meaning of 'one model'. Not this nonsense about 'carriers need to test this, there may be delays etc etc'. This is total bs. iPhone runs on multiple carriers and its updates are also tested, but when Apple has an update, it doesn't matter where you bought the phone or how. You get the update.

This is basically what everyone was afraid of.

Please buy an iPhone.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Via Ars Technica:

" Setup in Lollipop is also taking on the responsibility of pre-installed carrier apps (aka crapware) with a new feature called "Play Auto Install." Rather than permanently storing carrier apps on the system partition, which currently is the only way to have apps persist across device wipes, Play Auto Install will download carrier apps during the setup process. This will put them in the data partition and allow them to be completely uninstalled by users. The download process then allows carriers to change the apps they would like to preload on a device without having to issue a system update. Pre-installed apps on carrier-controlled devices are never going to go away, but with Play Auto Install, Google is giving both sides more options. Everyone wins—assuming carriers stop installing things on the system partition."

Posted via Android Central App

I hope that this doesn't mean that it will be like BB10, where apps are installed on an unlocked phone based on the SIM card. This put carrier bloatware on phones purchased directly from BlackBerry. I could uninstall the apps, but it's a pain to have to do that every time I switch SIM cards.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

This whole article is moot. All the carrier versions are going to be an exact replica of the Google Play store sold model, as was the case with the Nexus 5 that Sprint sold in a carrier branded box last year. With that being said, this will only possibly delay the OTA update for the carrier versions to get them wirelessly, but as was the case with the said "Sprint" model nexus 5, you will be able to flash all factory images that google releases, INCLUDING the OTA ZIP file that will be extracted and posted for all on the internet within hours of the first batch of Google Play sold Nexus 6 models receiving it. Remember, even with the Google sold model, all updates (both OS updates, and app updates) are rolled out in stages; so a lot people that purchase the device directly from Google, will end up having to wait for the OTA as well (a shorter time than carrier branded versions I am sure), but they too can use the same aforementioned extracted OTA zip posted online to side-load the updates to their devices using ADB. If you look on the Google Play Store listing for Nexus 6, that one model has all the required CDMA/GSM/LTE bands for all US carriers which means that factory images/OTA ZIP updates will be usable on all "carrier branded" nexus 6 devices.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Carriers do test iOS updates, but Nexus fanbois don't wanna hear that. They hate when facts detract from their arguments.

Tested or not... The CDMA Galaxy Nexus on Sprint got updates weeks and even months ahead of the Verizon CDMA GN. If memory serves, Verizon didn't even release the final update (Sprint did I think).

At least part of the Verizon delays are potentially justified by good network management, but there's a non-zero portion of that delay that deserves the ire people display here - fanboy or not.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Not that I would buy it on contract but The phone will be the exact same model so once the factory images are released nothing is stopping you. Yeah sure OTA may be delayed but even now OTA takes time to get to anyone.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

This whole post is moot. As was the case with last years Nexus 5 sold direct from sprint (carrier branded box and all) the Nexus 6 Google Play Store sold model is the exact same model as all the "carrier branded" sold models in the US. With that being said, the only issue people probably will run into will be getting OS updates over the air on their device as the carriers will probably control that. As was the case last year again with the Sprint branded model, all factory images provided by google on their developer website will be usable on all carrier branded models, and since the factory images are free to use that means all extracted OTA updates which are always posted on the internet for all within a few hours will also be usable. Remember that even with the Google Play sold devices, Google stages all OS and app updates, so there will be a lot of people who purchase the Google Play sold model, who do not receive the OTA updates for days either, which is why the OTA ZIP files are always posted online so quickly; I believe they even post links on this very website if I remember correctly. WIth them you can sideload using ADB if you are stock, or flash them in custom recovery like TWRP. If you want proof, go look at the Google Play Store listing for the nexus 6, that "version" has all the required GSM/CDMA/LTE frequencies for all carriers in the US, as was the case last year with Nexus 5 for sprint. I would find it very very hard to believe that google/motorola would build and sell theirs with all radios needed to support all the carriers, and then make separate models for each carrier, especially because the Qualcomm radio/baseband that is being used is what is allowing the phone to support all those frequency bands and radio technologies in the first place. Worst case scenario, if one of the carriers were to create a different radio version for their branded version of the device that locks out the other frequencies somehow, that will be easily patched by devs on XDA as was the case for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, keep in mind the issue with the Verizon/Sprint Galaxy nexus fiasco was that the CDMA version was a different model completely, the GSM version did not support CDMA at all, that is no longer the case.

Last edited:

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Not that I would buy it on contract but The phone will be the exact same model so once the factory images are released nothing is stopping you. Yeah sure OTA may be delayed but even now OTA takes time to get to anyone.

Very true. The update packages don't require unlocked bootloader or root.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

You beat me to it lol