Google Nexus 6 on Verizon

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Carrier Nexus 6 phones will have update delays !!

Yes, it should work like that.

I'm very very disappointed in Google for doing this. It makes a complete mockery of the whole 'one single model for all carriers'. Now carriers will be free to lock stuff, add bloatware, remove what they don't like etc.

In other words, it's no longer a Nexus if you buy it from them.

Wow how about the Verizon galaxy nexus?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Carrier Nexus 6 phones will have update delays !!

Who says apple pushes updates willy nilly? Maybe the carriers test it before the updates are announced? This is getting out of hand

Carriers do test it before it is released, even with iPhones...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon and pre-ordering on Wednesday

I'm actually kinda upset about it. The Droid Turbo was literally just announced today...and we have pricing, availability, and ordering information already. What gives??

It's a droid that is what gives. Droid is and always has been verizons golden child and they always promote it more than nexus device. Most likely the nexus 6 will drop with little fanfare from verizon, similar to how the galaxy nexus was launched.

mozzarella72

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I really wish Verizon would let us activate it if we buy from Google Play but I seriously seriously doubt that's gonna happen. I dont think verizon has ever allowed people to activate phones on their network that they didn't sell themselves

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

It's hard to say. I remember when the last Nexus 7 was announced. It was said to be available on Verizon but I didn't hear about anyone actually being able to activate the device on their network right away. I remember watching Jeff Jarvis on TWIT having a very hard time getting his N7 activated on Verizon, and I'm not sure he ever did.

Hopefully it will be different with the N6 so Verizon users can enjoy the Nexus. The thing about Nexus phones is not many people outside of these forums and techies know about it. Most people have no idea the difference between a pure Google phone or any other Android phone.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
For those looking to buy the nexus 6 for Verizon from Google Play :(

Long story short, it isn't yet LTE certified....

Google Chat.PNG

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: For those looking to buy the nexus 6 for Verizon from Google Play :(

If that chat is with a Verizon CSR, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. I guess we'll see tomorrow. This is a very frustrating launch with zero info from Google.

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

I really wish Verizon would let us activate it if we buy from Google Play but I seriously seriously doubt that's gonna happen. I dont think verizon has ever allowed people to activate phones on their network that they didn't sell themselves

Hmmmm. What about my Motorola.com purchased X?

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

The chat doesn't really specify anything, other than, it will be released...sometime. Which we don't know when the Nexus will actually be released anyway; we just have a pre-order date.

I don't see why we can't preorder it from Google Play for Verizon anyway, and have it shipped whenever Google/Verizon/whoever is 'ready' to release it. I guess we'll find out in less than 24 hours.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

My family and I have bought three 2013 Moto X's directly from Motorola and we activated all three ourselves, without stepping inside a VZ store or calling a rep.

I don't see how a Nexus from the Google Play store will be any different.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

They are only making two Nexus 6 models.. a US variant and an International variant... Verizon just hasn't certified it to work on their network... So if you buy it form the play store.. Even though it has all the compatible radios and bands built in Verizon isn't going to let you activate it.... Sounds like the Nexus 7 LTE model that was a nightmare to get Verizon to activate.......

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

That is a chat with a google rep, that is from the devices page you can choose contact us and then chat. For me it sounds like it wont be supported tell much later on.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I would never put much faith into what some CSR for verizon says. They are usually some of the last ones to get any information if it is not right in front of their face.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

They are only making two Nexus 6 models.. a US variant and an International variant... Verizon just hasn't certified it to work on their network... So if you buy it form the play store.. Even though it has all the compatible radios and bands built in Verizon isn't going to let you activate it.... Sounds like the Nexus 7 LTE model that was a nightmare to get Verizon to activate.......

Although it's possible, I think many, many more people would be up in arms if they had bought a phone that they couldn't activate. True, the Nexus 7 LTE debacle was pretty bad, but it's one thing for a tablet that doesn't need LTE, which also sells less than phones. But for it to happen on a phone, which needs service to actually function as a phone, would be a huge deal.

Let's hope that there aren't any hiccups. I'm going to preorder through Google Play for Verizon anyway and go from there.

greeknasty

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

i plan on pre ordering if if for some reason verizon wants to screw this up google play better be ready for some returns!!!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Although it's possible, I think many, many more people would be up in arms if they had bought a phone that they couldn't activate. True, the Nexus 7 LTE debacle was pretty bad, but it's one thing for a tablet that doesn't need LTE, which also sells less than phones. But for it to happen on a phone, which needs service to actually function as a phone, would be a huge deal.

Let's hope that there aren't any hiccups. I'm going to preorder through Google Play for Verizon anyway and go from there.

Oh I completely agree... I was just going off the OP's chat session with Verizon.... The LTE Nexus 7 was announced to be compatible with Verizon but then Verizon refused to activate them as people had bought them... Yes a small minority with a much cheaper tablet that is more of a luxury vs a phone...... But the wording sounds very familiar...

All I can say is if you plop down $700+ after taxes and shipping on a brand new Nexus 6 tomorrow.... Good luck if you are going to Verizon to activate..... Last year I was on Sprint with my Nexus 5 from the play store and it was a two day end around to get it activated because they at first said they wouldn't activate the 32 gig and then said it needed to be loaded in their data base... Luckily it was just two days.... and I've since left Sprint for T-Mobile.... Which should be a lot easier to activate (Fingers crossed)