Google Now vs. sVoice vs. vLingo? How to start NOW?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
How do you invoke Google Now? Is it an app? Is it meant to replace sVoice?

My friend has an S3 with JellyBean but doesn't know how to bring it up.

I'll be upgrading to Jellybean tonight. I don't understand google Now and want to hit the ground running.

I have my S3 running ICS to launch vLingo on a double press of the home button. (I think I disabled sVoice).

How do you bring up that good new red dot speech recognition thing?

Thanks for any tips,
Mike

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Download Home2Shortcut and you can set the double tap of the home button to be whatever you want, including Google Now.

You can also add the Google search widget to your home screen and tapping the microphone part of it will start it up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. That's soo not-intuitive. Any way to make it launch with a double-press of the home button?
Mike

You have to set it up for that, I have a thread about it, will get the link. I used to have the old vLingo and Google Voice won't read me my texts, but it can also be used while you have no network connection to dictate an email, etc.

Here is the only way we have found to set it up to come up with the double tap of the home key, the way S-Voice did. If yo first disable S-Voice and get it to work, without the app talked about, it goes back to "voice dialing" after a reboot.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/232121-ready-speak-google-now-home-button-double-click-here.html

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried it on a friend's S3. When he pressed and held menu, it did bring to a search screen, but then he had to press the mic icon at the top right before it would start recognizing.

Is there a way to make it start listening right a way?

Thx
Mike

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried it on a friend's S3. When he pressed and held menu, it did bring to a search screen, but then he had to press the mic icon at the top right before it would start recognizing.

Is there a way to make it start listening right a way?

Thx
Mike

That's what my instructions above are for to double click the home button and it does the beep and is waiting on you to speak, immediately.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Kelly, I hit reply without first doing a page refresh.

I will check it out!

I'm very excited for JellyBean tonight!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Kelly, I hit reply without first doing a page refresh.

I will check it out!

I'm very excited for JellyBean tonight!

That works very well, several of us looked for something, played around with it, for days. This is the only "launcher" I have running, but I love being able to double click my home button and bring up the "Google Search" part, which is also used for voice texting, dialing, search, etc.

If you long press on the Menu button, that will actually bring up "Google Now" but it will only be called "Google" with the upgrade. Make sure the app is updated in the Play Store after you upgrade, it will need an update and probably will not do it manually. You can't "turn on" Google Now until that update to "Google" is done in the Play Store.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Great tips! Thank you so much!

Mike

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny