Google Phone app vs Stock Samsung phone app?

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung phone way better i don't like Google phone , plus it's definitely ugly, my opinion , most will tell you the same Samsung is way better and better looking.
I agree. The Google phone app (GP) might be worth it if you could access transcripted visual voice mail or recording features but apparently those features (as well as several other features) are only available if the GP app was pre-installed on the phone. With the Samsung phone app I am able to access my visual voicemail directly through the app whereas can't with GP... which is very inconvenient.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree. The Google phone app (GP) might be worth it if you could access transcripted visual voice mail or recording features but apparently those features (as well as several other features) are only available if the GP app was pre-installed on the phone. With the Samsung phone app I am able to access my visual voicemail directly through the app whereas can't with GP... which is very inconvenient.
Exactly its only for pixels, thats why i stay with the native calling app

roman_x

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a few months old, but I was "googling" something related to your question and came across your post. I like the Samsung Dialer app and there are a few features that the google one doesn't have that I wanted to try (running the One UI beta, wanted to try the transcription call feature, its not in English but I wanted to use it for spam calls, for that its awesome!) The ONE THING that the Google Dialer app has that I absolutely love is the search feature. In the Samsung App, it only searches your contacts, but say you wanted to call the Chinese Food place for a delivery order. If you use the Google Dialer app, you just open it and click search and type in "Chinese food near me" or the name of the place and because it uses the Google Search it finds it even if its not in your contacts list. I use that feature ALL the time. Much faster than googling the the place, then either tapping the phone number or copying and pasting it into the dialer app. I happen to be looking to see if maybe Samsung was planning on adding that feature to their app, if they did it would be perfect. But for me, that is the one major thing that separates the two and I didn't see anyone else pointing that out, so thought I would contribute.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a few months old, but I was "googling" something related to your question and came across your post. I like the Samsung Dialer app and there are a few features that the google one doesn't have that I wanted to try (running the One UI beta, wanted to try the transcription call feature, its not in English but I wanted to use it for spam calls, for that its awesome!) The ONE THING that the Google Dialer app has that I absolutely love is the search feature. In the Samsung App, it only searches your contacts, but say you wanted to call the Chinese Food place for a delivery order. If you use the Google Dialer app, you just open it and click search and type in "Chinese food near me" or the name of the place and because it uses the Google Search it finds it even if its not in your contacts list. I use that feature ALL the time. Much faster than googling the the place, then either tapping the phone number or copying and pasting it into the dialer app. I happen to be looking to see if maybe Samsung was planning on adding that feature to their app, if they did it would be perfect. But for me, that is the one major thing that separates the two and I didn't see anyone else pointing that out, so thought I would contribute.
I miss that feature on my S22. I just downloaded the Google dialer and am going to use it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My older Huawei phone if I picked a contact in the phone app directly made a call. Currently using Samsung dialer and I get a row with phone message and video. Any way to just make a direct call?

Cory M

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
So, everything about the Google phone layout seems great. But I can't turn on wifi calling. I've gone through the steps provided by Google but it's not an option. They say because my carrier doesn't support it, but it works (not well, hence the change) on my Samsung stock app.
So confused.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So, everything about the Google phone layout seems great. But I can't turn on wifi calling. I've gone through the steps provided by Google but it's not an option. They say because my carrier doesn't support it, but it works (not well, hence the change) on my Samsung stock app.
So confused.
Do you have a factory unlocked device from Samsung or a carrier device?

AzJazz

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I hate the Samsung dialer app, and the invasiveness of Samsung in general.

I do not want to give Samsung any of my contacts, phone calls, or contact information. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make the Google Phone app the true default phone application - Samsung actively blocks this. Google Phone will manage an incoming call, but any other telephone related activities (like an instant dial for a contact) results in a selection prompt for the default application - where Google Phone does NOT appear as an option. Additionally ... It is not possible to set Google as the default storage location for all new contacts - you always need to manually select your Google account for the new contact storage location.

Seems like Samsung's preventing user selection should be illegal, and it probably is.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My older Huawei phone if I picked a contact in the phone app directly made a call. Currently using Samsung dialer and I get a row with phone message and video. Any way to just make a direct call?
I know this is a bit of a delayed response, but I thought it might help someone. To make a direct call in the Samsung dialer swipe right on the contact name, to text swipe left. I believe those settings are on by default 👍

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a bit of a delayed response, but I thought it might help someone. To make a direct call in the Samsung dialer swipe right on the contact name, to text swipe left. I believe those settings are on by default 👍
Thank You. Didn't know does add an extra step than my old phone but quicker than getting a bar.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11