Google Pixel 2

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I should go back to my old habit a new phone every 6 months :)

If you've got the money to support that old habit, then go for the Mate 9. If I actually needed to replace my N6 and if a US version was available in mocha or champagne, I'd jump on the Mate 9, despite the 1080 display. Since I do not need a replacement phone (and shouldn't try to shoehorn one into the budget right now), I'm too curious to see how 2017 plays out--especially in terms of the number of new phablets on the way--to go all in on any currently available models.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
we can all agree that Nexus is just a better name than Pixel...sounds cooler anyway.

I would have to say i like them both equally. hmm, Maybe I've got a tad more love toward the Nexus name just because its been around for longer. Smartphones today are all about Pixel density & resolution. Its also about Pixel arrangement like "PenTile Diamond Pixel" on some OLED screens. So i think the "Pixel" name is still great , but maybe "Nexus" is a tad better :)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I want wireless charging back. It may be slow, but I love having my phone on my charger on my table next to my bed

I think no wireless charging was the largest reason I didn't even consider the Pixel and won't consider any future phone without it.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link mountainman. :D

There are only 2 things for me that the Pixel 2 MUST have otherwise i won't purchase. The first thing is portability. i love the smaller 5.0" inch Pixel. Sure its nice to have a massive 5.5" inch or bigger screen for watching videos and absorbing content, but it makes the device really big. (in my opinion)

The second would have to be better battery life. I think the Pixel is OK. its not fantastic but its not so little that it cant get you through the day. If they upped it to 3,100mAh i think that would be awesome! Just giving you those extra 2 hours makes a big difference.

That's kind of where I'm at, hoping for something closer to 5.2" or 5.3" (if they would change the form factor) but would stick with 5.0" if they improve the battery life. Add 64GB option and it's a no-brainer for me. Add wireless charging and I'll pre-order at midnight! ...in October of course.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping for a high end version with at least 5.5" display, and please make it available in the US through AT&T. If those two things happen I will buy one. If not, I will probably go LG for my next phone.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
That's kind of where I'm at, hoping for something closer to 5.2" or 5.3" (if they would change the form factor) but would stick with 5.0" if they improve the battery life. Add 64GB option and it's a no-brainer for me. Add wireless charging and I'll pre-order at midnight! ...in October of course.

I definitely think for the 2017 or early 2018 version of the Pixel. The base storage has to be 64GB with options of 128 and 256GB :) Otherwise, people won't purchase, especially if its over $600. Maybe they can go the same route as many OEMs are doing this year and shrink the bezels. This will allow them to keep the same size, but increase the screen size to 5.3 as you mentioned :)

Obviously Wireless Charging! :D

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping for a high end version with at least 5.5" display, and please make it available in the US through AT&T. If those two things happen I will buy one. If not, I will probably go LG for my next phone.

I haven't heard confirmation, but I'm pretty sure the Pixel 2 means there will be be a Pixel XL 2 as well. (Or is that Pixel 2 XL?). And even if it's still available only through Verizon, I'm sure you'll still be able to jump on a pre-order on release day and use it with AT&T, just like with the current Pixel XL.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I want a Pixel 2 that's as big as an S8+ only with front-facing speakers instead of zero bezels. Ya wanna compete with Samsung, Google? Then make that phone, ya punks!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I want a Pixel 2 that's as big as an S8+ only with front-facing speakers instead of zero bezels. Ya wanna compete with Samsung, Google? Then make that phone, ya punks!

What I like about Google is that, they aim for the performance side of things and less on design.

Is the Galaxy S8 nicer to look at? Definitely. But I have a feeling the Pixel 2 will be the top phone of 2017 :)

If they add front facing speakers like you mentioned and maybe some water resistance. It will be so awesome :D

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I still don't think the Samsung phones look better. They're whinier, but all that gloss comes off looking cheap and fragile.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I had high hopes for Pixel 1 but I found them to be too expensive for what they offer. But they wanted to capture a different market segment and I think they are doing a pretty good job though the Verizon only thing and the next best place to get it is the Store sucks big time.

For Pixel 2 I hope, if they are targeting iPhone users to switch, they have:
- Dual camera lens
- Waterproof/Dustproof
- Storage options (32, 128, 256)
- Battery life optimized with hardware and software
- Continue with free Google Photos (which will be a given)
- Get along with TMobile and other carriers
- IMHO I think Google can nail down a great sweet deal with TMobile if they wished
- Keep a good inventory and speed up ship times

All the above might seem like last year features but very few smartphones released have excelled in these. So if Pixel 2 can nail these, they will be a good sell with the consumers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reheg